• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

A timing question with feeding yeast and yeast nutirent

Barrel Char Wood Products

ddavis1979

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 30, 2017
Virginia
I read the newbie guide on nutrients and read other sources about feeding yeast and that you are supposed to put in nutrient before ever adding the yeast. However, I failed to do that, and that at the time, so here is the follow up question...

I pitched the yeast (Wyeast 4184 sweet mead yeast) 10 days ago and it stalled out. I was told it needed nutrient. I got a flask of the Wyeast Labs Yeast Nutrient Blend but its not 100% clear whats in the blend (https://wyeastlab.com/wyeast-nutrient-wine).

Before I could get the shipment it, I noticed that bubble action and fermentation had dramatically increased in the carboy. I also have a lot of what scummy foam on top of the must that was not there 24 hours ago.

SOOOOOoooo

Do I add any nutrient at this point?

Is it a bad idea to stir up that top layer?

Is it doing what its supposed to? Would feeding nutrient now (10 days in with more active fermentation) help or hurt?

Thanks so much!

darigoni

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jun 4, 2016
Brookline, NH
Yes, you need to be degassing/aerating during the active fermentation once a day. Once it starts to slow down you'll just want to be degassing. After fermentation stops, you'll want to continue stirring, to keep the yeast in suspension, a couple of times a week, for another 2 to 4 weeks.

Have you taken any hydrometer readings? That will tell you if it's to late to add any nutrients or not.

ddavis1979

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 30, 2017
Virginia
I did not take a hydrometer reading for original gravity, I took one on day 4 and it was 1.121, very close to what the original gravity is estimated to be with 9.5lbs honey and a little over 2 gal of water. I plan on taking another reading in about a week. But for my own education, what are you looking for when it comes to adding or not adding nutrient?

..........OK I lied, after I originally posted, I went downstairs and took a reading. I am still at exactly 1.121. However, the mead has a very pleasant strong honey/beer/yeast smell to it, and it is pretty tasty, and has lots of bubbles for degassing,

So what does the SG tell you?

Last edited:

darigoni

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jun 4, 2016
Brookline, NH
Add some nutrients. Are you going you add them all up front or are you doing a staggered nutrient regimen?

I'm not sure what the recommended amount of nutrient is for what you are using, but whatever it is, I would divide it by 3 and add 1/3 now, 1/3 at 1.080 and 1/3 at 1.040. Stir it in after one of your daily degassings, which should help to keep it from overflowing your fermentation vessel. You should also take some of your must out and mix in the nutrient before adding it back into the whole batch. This would also help to keep it from erupting out of the bucket/carboy.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns