• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

additional yeast?

Barrel Char Wood Products

AcadianKopite

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 28, 2018
Hi there,

as a prototypical newbee I will ask a peasant question

first batch 5 gal (12lb honey)
I used 5g of 71B and some energizers my local shop had in stock. Now after having noob paranoia set in, I am wondering whether i should add more yeast.

Is there any harm in adding another 5g of 71B to a batch that was initiated 6 days ago?

cheers

D

Devin Petry-Johnson

No, I wouldn't expect any harm. More yeast should help this ferment faster. How has it been going so far? Have you measured the gravity with a hydrometer? Bubbles from the airlock are not a good indicator of fermentation. To know how it's doing you would need to measure the gravity over the course of a few days. Also, did you re-hydrate the yeast in a solution with GoFerm or did you just pour in the packet into the must?

If you haven't already, go read the NewBee guide here. And there is a bunch of great info on the podcast episodes starting on 9/5/17. You'll learn a lot!

AcadianKopite

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 28, 2018
thank you for your swift response,

I pitched the yeast in warm water prior do adding to must.
I did not take an OG reading as I follow the trend of your standard noob.
I was thinking of taking readings later on to measure stability and assume fermentation has ceased if readings are consistent over multiple days.

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
so go look up Scott Laboratories handbook 2018. On page 7 it'll give you an idea of how to restart a stuck fermentation. It's a little more involved than just tossing some yeast in your vessel. You don't necessarily have to buy the product but you do need to use and understand the protocol

Stasis

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jan 10, 2014
Malta
But this ferment isn't stuck is it? If it's not stuck we need a way of knowing if it will need any help in order to complete the ferment. If it seems like it won't need the help then I wouldn't be adding yeast now. Once the alcohol presence starts to rise adding packets of yeast will have less impact and we usually only add yeast (particular yeast, following a particular protocol) if the ferment is stuck or about to get stuck

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
We don't know if it is or not. But if he want's to add more yeast he needs to do it right. That's why I sent hin the restart scoop

AcadianKopite

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 28, 2018
But this ferment isn't stuck is it? If it's not stuck we need a way of knowing if it will need any help in order to complete the ferment. If it seems like it won't need the help then I wouldn't be adding yeast now. Once the alcohol presence starts to rise adding packets of yeast will have less impact and we usually only add yeast (particular yeast, following a particular protocol) if the ferment is stuck or about to get stuck

I'm unsure if its stuck. My guess is it is ok. Since I didn't use any nutrients (only energizers - i'm aware someone more knowledgeable than myself will correct me on this and suggest readings on SNA), I was wondering whether there is any contraindications to adding additional yeast to an already initiated batch. My reasoning was for insurance purposes if I did not get the original yeast off to a good start, I could possibly offset my novice skill at yeast pitching.

I took a reading prior to adding more yeast yesterday and although I do not have an original gravity reading (for reasons previously mentioned), my measure from yesterday is 1.05 (6 days in), if again, I am reading correctly..to my understanding, this reading would be about right for where it would be expected to be at this point.

If i have written anything false or inaccurate or confusing, I am open to being corrected of course.

thanks for your support

AcadianKopite

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 28, 2018

I'm unsure if its stuck. My guess is it is ok. Since I didn't use any nutrients (only energizers - i'm aware someone more knowledgeable than myself will correct me on this and suggest readings on SNA), I was wondering whether there is any contraindications to adding additional yeast to an already initiated batch. My reasoning was for insurance purposes if I did not get the original yeast off to a good start, I could possibly offset my novice skill at yeast pitching.

I took a reading prior to adding more yeast yesterday and although I do not have an original gravity reading (for reasons previously mentioned), my measure from yesterday is 1.05 (6 days in), if again, I am reading correctly..to my understanding, this reading would be about right for where it would be expected to be at this point.

If i have written anything false or inaccurate or confusing, I am open to being corrected of course.

thanks for your support

Copied from Gotmead.com - Read More at:http://www.gotmead.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=270100

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns