• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Possible infected cyser...

Barrel Char Wood Products

MeadyHead

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 5, 2018
First of all the ingredients used are as follows:
1 packet K1-V1116 yeast
1 gallon apple cider
3 pounds honey
1 bottle wine tannin
1 bottle yeast energizer
1 bottle yeast nutrient
1 bottle pectic enzyme

Thursday May 10th, 2018
I used a 1 gallon carboy, put honey in and added half the cider and shook vigorously. Next added the rest of the cider, then 1/2 teaspoon yeast energizer, 1 teaspoon yeast nutrient, 1 teaspoon wine tannin and 1/2 teaspoon pectic enzyme. Took hydrometer reading which was 1.150. Left it to sit for an hour and pitched yeast per the instructions on the packet. Put yeast in carboy, covered with blanket to prevent light from entering and let sit until May 19th, 2018. Took final hydrometer reading which at this point was 1.022 and racked over to secondary. On May 28th it had not cleared up so I added 1 more teaspoon of pectic enzyme and It has been sitting in that carboy since then.

The problem is that there is something that looks like oil floating on top of the cyser. I did notice more lees on the bottom of the cyser so I am thinking of racking it over but I would like to know if it looks infected or not before I do anything else. There is not a funky or off smell to the cyser, it smells the same as it has since I smelled it when I first racked it over and I am afraid to taste it again just in case it is infected. Links to images of cyser problematic area below:

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns