• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Botrytis; phenylacetaldehyde; Tokaji

Barrel Char Wood Products

Circumnavigator

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 1, 2018
This is a weird one, I know. I grew up a 15 minute drive from Tokaj, in Hungary, where the most iconic regional wine variety is Tokaji Aszú, a botrytised, sweet wine. I rather like sweet alcohol, but not in a purely saccharine way, so I figured that I would like to try to introduce the unmistakable botrytis flavour to mead, without making a pyment (that would be a reproduction of existing methods, and good luck finding botrytised Furmint in England, where I live now).

I don't have a complete plan, but I understand that the main culprit for the botrytis flavour is phenylacetaldehyde, and the secondary flavours associated with it come from fruity esters. Tokaji is also fermented at very low temperatures, going as low as 8°C to protect volatile chemicals. So, my plan is to use winter temperatures to achieve just such a cold and slow fermentation, which means I need a yeast which will allow me to go as low as 8°C. I have identified a few strains, but my knowledge of yeast is lacking at best. Still, the strains I was thinking of are the following:

EC-1118 - 7-35 °C
CL23 Saccharomyces Bayanus - 7–24 °C
WLP727 Steinberg-Geisenheim - 10-32 °C
Arauner Liquid Tokay Yeast - this one I have little clue about, but it is advertised as a Tokaji strain by a German company, so the geographic proximity is there.

Out of the lot of them, I am leading towards the WLP727, because it is already used to make sweet Riesling wine, but I am intrigued about the Arauner. Many Tokaji producers use spontaneous fermentation for their personal wine, but commercially, I think, cultured yeast is used, but I have no clue which or whether there is any uniformity.

I also need to have some means of producing phenylacetaldehyde, which is a problem. (To say nothing of the full range of chemical changes caused by botrytis - still phenylacetaldehyde is the main culprit.)

Chapter 14 - Mead and Other Fermented Beverages, Current Developments in Biotechnology and Bioengineering Food and Beverages Industry 2017, Pages 407-434 states that added pollen has the effect of increasing phenylacetaldehyde and adding toasted, honey and bitter almond notes, which sounds plenty good to me. Of course the irony is not lost on me that I am trying to add honey notes to honey, but I suppose the fermentation does remove some of the honey notes, however gentle. Still, if it takes pollen, it will get pollen.

Am I way in over my head? :D

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
So I can't really tell you much that will help except this.

I made a large batch of must and split it in half. I did everything the same as far as protocol. The only difference was I fermented one at 50F and the other one at 65F. When they first came out of fermentation, there was a pretty large difference in them. The cold one was cleaner. Better focus so to speak in camera language. The warmer one was fuller in mouthfeel, but the flavor profile was a bit broader but not as much in focus. This was a malbec pyment.

I aged them separately for a long while. The longer they aged the more they drifted towards each other in many ways. After around the 8 month mark or so I could not tell enough of a difference to even need to keep them separate so I blended them together.

So many of us think ( including myself) that colder is better. But I have changed my attitude about this and no longer feel it's of any benefit to ferment below, or at the very bottom of the suggested temp range. It's slower that way and the clarity is nice when you first finish. But since it's not something permenent. I feel it's no longer worth it to go super low on temps.

I'm only sharing this with you because I saw how you desire to run your temps at the very bottom of the suggested range. I'm suggesting maybe that's not so critical. I have used K1V a lot and that would be my choice by far.

rpastor

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Apr 19, 2015
I got two sachets of Arenauer dried Tokaji 4 years ago and forgot about them. They had fallen behind my refrigerator drawer. I delicately revived one two months ago and made a delicious Tupelo mead with it. Naturally, it won't be ready to bottle for a long time, but the unique flavor of the Tupelo really shines through the 16% ABV. I have tried to order more, but all that is available is the liquid that takes two weeks to arive. I could not revive it, maybe you will have better luck. In the meantime, I am going to gentle revive the second sachet and wash the yeast after it has finished.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns