PDA

View Full Version : Clarifying Tupelo Show Mead

Talon McCormick
07-08-2004, 08:20 AM
I've a tupelo show mead that's just as cloudy today as it was the day I pitched the yeast 5 months ago. It's been racked twice since then, etc, and I've not added anything for a sabilizer at all. I'm one of those with the mindset that I like my meads to be clear and as see through as possible.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? What would you recommend as a clarifying agent?

I'm not opposed to using chemicals to clarify as long as it doesn't affect the taste at all or have any negative affect on my end product.

Jmattioli
07-09-2004, 06:02 PM
I have had that problem in only one of 24 batches. They usually naturally clear but I also had a stubborn one. Cold stabilization didn't work in the refrigerator for a week so I used Sparkaloid. It was simple to use and the mead was clear in a week with no noticeable off taste. Can be purchased at most brew shops. Also sometimes the addition of grape tannin aids in natural clearing. (1/2t of tannin per gallon and seems to improve the taste with astringency)
Joe

Talon
07-12-2004, 10:32 AM
OOOO! Now you're talkin'! Tannins... May try that first before the sparkaloid.

Thank you!

I have no intention of doing this just yet, but wanted to be prepared. Like I said, it's only 5 months old, but when it hits maybe 7 and I see no change in cloudiness, then I'll throw in the tannins. Should I not see any improvement after that, or improvement becomes impeded at some point, then I shall add the Sparkaloid.

Jmattioli
07-12-2004, 02:04 PM
If you are going to put in tannin , I would recommend you do it now as that will give more time for the tannin to mellow out. I usually add the grape tannin in at the beginning. It is not usually something you would add at the end though as a meadmaker almost anything goes and there are no hard fast rules. Since you are pilot in command, you can always chart your own new course.
Best of Luck with your mead.
Joe

Talon
07-14-2004, 07:04 AM
Good point. Okay, you've convinced me as I'd not thought about the need for the tannins to mellow out. I'll add the tannin now to get that cracking.

Thanks again.

Lagerman64
04-06-2005, 01:52 AM
Joe, is that 1/2 tsp in general with all honey's or the Tupelo in general?

Jmattioli
04-06-2005, 10:20 AM
Joe, is that 1/2 tsp in general with all honey's or the Tupelo in general?

I've been using grape tannin with all my honeys. The only time I leave it out is in Pyment or a melomel that already has plenty of natural tannin. Besides a bit more character, I have found that only 1 in 10 of my batches have had trouble clearing fast when I used the 1/2t from the start.

Also to be honest, recently I have been experimenting with straight meads with and without the tannin to determine its effect on aging to smoothness.

I'll post when I'm finished.

Joe