• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Is this the right taste?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Norskersword

NewBee
Registered Member
May 19, 2004
I have started 3 batches of mead so far. The first was a dry cyser with a gasoline taste (addressed in another post) and I decided to bottle it and wait it out. I started 2 batches later and now I think I screwed these two up. Both batches use to taste like gasoline (a little sweeter than the first) but now something has happened to the flavor. One of them, a strawberry melomel, now tastes like a very earthy, watery flavor. Almost like water with dirt thrown in. The other tastes like it is heading in that direction.

Are these over oxiginated? Or are they maybe contaminated? If they are contaminated, my guess as to the cause would be that I accidently got a little tap water in both. Would this have caused a problem? Does this sound like they have problems? Niether of these tastes good in any way...

Derf

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 5, 2004
I wouldn't think tap water would be causing you any trouble. That's all I ever use and I haven't had any problems with it yet.

Whteknght

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 25, 2004
I had a friend who made some strawberry wine some time back, and we learned a key lesson from it: Time is as important as any other ingredient. The strawberry wine finally became drinkable at the one year mark, but only continued to get better after that. I don't know if there are any major issues with what you have brewed, but I can tell you that strawberry needs time to balance flavors in alcohol. Just a thought.

dogglebe

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 14, 2003
hbd.org
I had a friend who made some strawberry wine some time back, and we learned a key lesson from it: Time is as important as any other ingredient. The strawberry wine finally became drinkable at the one year mark, but only continued to get better after that. I don't know if there are any major issues with what you have brewed, but I can tell you that strawberry needs time to balance flavors in alcohol. Just a thought.

A friend told me once that adding a tablespoon of vanilla extract to a strawberry mead will help smooth the batch out.

Phil

dogglebe

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 14, 2003
hbd.org
That should have been tablespoon, not tablesthingy. I don't know why that happened.

Phil

t-a-b-l-e-s-p-o-o-n, not tablesthingy. For some reason, the word changes when I post it.

Phil

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns