• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Light sensitivity?

Barrel Char Wood Products
T

TeaTruck

I wrap my carboys up in old sweaters. Partly because it helps to keep the temperature more stable, but mainly because I mostly make beer, and I'm told the hops will taste bad if they are exposed to too much light.

I treat my mead the same way out of habit, and will probably continue to do so regardless. But out of curiosity, I was wondering just how light sensitive mead is. Does anyone have any information about this?

JoeM

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
Yeast, being fungi, grow best in the absence of light. This is reguardless of the beverage being produced. Beer is a special issue, as you said, because of the hops. Hop resins are light sensitive and when exposed create the "skunky" flavors sometimes attributed to ceaper beers. Exposing a mead to light will not prodice such off flavors, and in most cases probably will not effect the fermentation. this being said, i definately cover my carboys (meticulously) with a number of old towels, shirts, and blankets to keep light out. Both out of habit (from being a beer maker myself) and because it is the OPTIMAL condition for all yeast to grow in.

ThistyViking

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 15, 2003
I initially Ferment in a pantry that has no lighting, Bulk age and bottle age in a basement corner with little indirect lighting from windows around a corner that are on the north side of my house and never get direct sunlight anyway. Therfore I don't bother covering my meads.

R

Rurouni85Samurai

Would the added light hurt the mead? I don't have enough closet space left to put a big carboy without tossing some stuff into storage or the attic which I don't want to do. My biggest problem is that my windows face South and East so I'll be getting light in all day long.

ThistyViking

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 15, 2003
I don't really know, In melomels I think it affects the fruit components more than it does the honey. Both wine and Beer have issues... Certainly I'd expect similar issues in Braggots and Pyments, probably most melomels.

As far as show meads and methgylins... i have not idea.

T

TeaTruck

Other than what has been mentioned in this thread, I don't know of any specific problems with light, but I've always heard it's a good idea to keep beer/wine/mead out of direct light. You might want to wrap you carboy in a towel or an old shirt.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns