• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

New guy says hello!

Barrel Char Wood Products
J

Joe

Hi everyone!

Well I ordered the equipment the other day and I am now currently looking for a quick easy mead recipe just to test. My 2nd batch I want to make a blueberry melomel but I already have a recipe for that.

I'm thinking about adding in hazelnuts and maybe some oak flavorings so it tastes like I did it in an oak cask. (I hope)

And is there a noticable taste between Orange Blossom Honey and Wild Flower Honey? Its quite a long drive for me to get to the closest bee farm.

FierDancr

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 6, 2006
I think there is a difference in honey tastes. The best way to figure it out is taste the honey. let it sit on your tongue, swirl it around, like a wine tasting, so you can get all the flavor variants sampled. Just make sure you clense your tongue before tasting the other honey.

Fier

The floggings will continue until moral improves!

JephSullivan

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 22, 2006
home.comcast.net
Hi Joe!

If you're looking for an easy mead for beginners, I recommend Joe's Ancient Orange Cinnamon Clove Mead. Many beginners start with this recipe. My very first batch of mead earlier this year was Joe's Ancient Orange, and it came out great! There's a link to the recipe: Joe's Ancient Orange. Since it's such a popular recipe, we have a big (over 300 replies!) thread that covers many of the recipe's finer points. You can find it by going to the Recipes forum, and it's the very first thread at the top. Here's the link: Joe Mattioli's Foolproof Ancient Orange, Clove, and Cinnamon Mead. Good luck with your mead making!

ucflumberjack

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 4, 2006
HEY!

JAO is the way to go. its the quickest drinkable mead i think youll find around here...or anywhere else...

if you dont want to do that one a simple cyser might not be a bad idea, honey, apple juice, yeast, whatever spices you think you might like. i made "dangerous cyser" and it was pretty good after about 2 months, i even got compliments from a whole bunch of people at a party....

good luck, have fun!

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
fierdancr,

Please note the date of the messages you're replying to. The most recent post in this thread before you replied was 02/04/04, which is almost three years ago.

Neither of the two posters has been active for quite some time, so if you see the date is quite a way back it's better to start a new thread.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns