• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

I'm such a rookie

Barrel Char Wood Products

Chauvan

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 2, 2003
Well, I went and racked my first mead again. Still smells like hooch and sweatsocks. Tastes really sweet and hot with alcohol. Also had to add a lot of water to top off the carboy today. I don't think that'll hurt since its so potent with booze. I'm including all of my notes for you guys to look at. Please... be gentle. You'll notice in my notes I discovered that I had been misreading the SG. I think on a couple of reads(I don't know which ones) I read the balling scale. :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
Mead batch started primary fermentation on 14 Sep 03.

1 gal of bottled spring water
3lbs of honey, bulk clover
.5 oz White Labs Sweet Mead/Wine Yeast #WLP720

Must heated to 150 degrees for 45 minutes.
Racked, with about 1 pint of must missing from carboy.
Fermentation lock with tap water.

Swirled every day for first 10 days.
SG on 14 Sep 03: 1.102 (Potential alc 13.5)
Added an unkn amount of new honey-water (the ratio was 2 lbs of honey to 4 cups of water, but the amount of mixture is unkn) and remainder of yeast vial (this will probably be a mistake). But at least it’s better topped off and less air can interact with it.
With the addition of honey, I raised the SG to a whopping 1.120. Hopefully, this sweetens the wine more than raises the alcohol content (but I doubt it). I imagine it will be pretty potent when all said in done.

It currently has a lemon juice color.
The taste is something of a rough go, with the alcohol so high and the sugar so low. Reminds me of a lemon drop dipped in kerosene. God, I hope that time smoothes this out…
15 Oct 2003
Mead very clear. Gravity: 1.028
Still smells like hooch and sweatsocks. Tastes too sweet and very hot with alcohol. Had to add water to top off. Too much splashing when I did this. I still remain unconvinced that this will turn into anything drinkable.
Also discovered that my some of my SG readings may have been from the balling scale. I have no idea what the damn ABV will be in the end.

I'm also crossposting this at Northern Brewer

Chauvan

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 2, 2003
er, is this going to be bad in the end? The comments from NB was to have patience.

ronjohn55

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 10, 2003
Stephen,

I'm with the NB folks. Let it age out. I made a pineapple mead that smelled wonderful, but tasted like vodka when I first bottled it.

A year later, it's wonderful.

John

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Chauvan,

I'm *still* waiting for a buckwheat mead I made over 2 years ago to mellow. Some meads just take time. My first mead tasted like gasoline for nearly a year, then underwent a fairly rapid change in just over 2 months from ghastly to fabulous. It is still, to date, the tastiest mead I've ever made. I keep hoping I'll be able to duplicate it, but haven't been able to get it exactly....

Vicky - in Nashville the week of Oct 19

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns