• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Restarting fermentation?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Helios

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 6, 2004
Lets just say a "friend" might have stopped the fermentation of his mead prematurely....would this "Friend" be able to pitch another starter that was going really good and hope it would not die off as soon as it hit the batch.....maybe keep going for a lil while to cut some of the sweetness?

Of course I would never ever make that mistake....my "Friend" is a little embarrased to post himself.....seriously, no really, would I lie?

Helios

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 6, 2004
OK.... OK...... Its was more like I ....siily me....."HE" thought it was dry enough but after much pondering of the taste I ..... I mean "HE" thought it should be a little more on the Dry side....yeah thats the story I .... "HE" is sticking with.

Helios

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 6, 2004
Ummm "HE" might have introduced maybe 4 crushed tablets of Potassiium Metabisulphite then added more water and honey to sweeten it and might have gone just a bit too far

MagickMead

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 2, 2004
north west Ohio
mead.bravehost.com
You should be able to restart the fermentation. Dump the mead in to an open bucket and stir it up good, this will help to get rid of some of the sulphite, rack back too the carboy and add the new yeast starter.
Adding sulphite is not a good way to stop fermentation anyway, it will only stun the yeast and they will probably start up again after you bottle the mead, depending on how much sweetness is left you might get sparkling mead or exploding bottles in a few weeks.

Oh and hello every one. I have been reading this fourm for about a year but today is my first post.

Helios

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 6, 2004
WOW I feel honored you posted a reply to me.......will make a new starter tonight and pitch it tomorrow....hopefully it werks.....wurks?....ahh WORKS......

JoeM

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
MagickMead
I'm just curious...wouldnt you be worried about oxidizing the mead by stirring it up as you have suggested?
JM

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Don't forget to re-sanitize your lid or plug, and top off your bubbler.

Oskaar

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns