PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Cider Suggestions?

Helios
09-13-2004, 05:33 PM
I just got back from Trader Joes looking for ideas and ingerdients. I picked up a 48 oz bottle of Trader Joes All Natural CHERRY CIDER.....its said Pasturized and didnt list any preservatives so I thought I would give it a whirl. After putting it in a 1 gallon jug I rewalized that its hardly anything at all.....I could always add another 48 oz bottle but what fun would that be?......right now the SG is at 1.050.

question #1: What is a good SG for a quick, easy batch?

question #2: Suggestions for any other ingredients to use to top off the bottle?

Last Question: Is there any tricks or standard time frame I should try to follow....that would have this drinkable quickly?

Oskaar
09-13-2004, 05:43 PM
You could try adding two or three pounds of meduim bodied honey, a Joe Mattioli hand full of chopped raisins (25 by his reckoning) and the same amount of chopped dates, some grape tannin, maybe a quarter cup of raw brown sugar and top it off with some more cherry juice or apple juice, shake it good and pitch some K1-V1116 yeast.

I've never done the above recipe before, so maybe the folks who are the one gallon gurus can give you a better idea if what I put down would work. It sounds good to me though.

Take a chance . . . Custer did!

Oskaar

Helios
09-13-2004, 05:54 PM
making note of those ingredients..(<~~ spelled right this time)....not even sure what a date taste like ..the raisins I have as well as dehydrated bing cherries and strawberries....guess those will work.....will have to get medium honey tomorrow...alls I have here is Killer Bee Honey and thats like Buckwheat.....too heavy.....
still taking suggestions......

the starting SG should be where?...abouts?

Jmattioli
09-13-2004, 07:52 PM
Starting gravity of 1.100 to 1.110
That will give you 13-14% alcohol
48 oz of cherry cider should be good for a melomel
32 is usually enough but 48 is fine. You are right to use a light honey so as not to overpower cherries. It should make a good mead. I usually just use 2 lbs of honey with that recipe and you willl probably have to sweeten it up a bit when finished since cherries are quite tart.
Joe