• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Cherry Cider Suggestions?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Helios

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 6, 2004
I just got back from Trader Joes looking for ideas and ingerdients. I picked up a 48 oz bottle of Trader Joes All Natural CHERRY CIDER.....its said Pasturized and didnt list any preservatives so I thought I would give it a whirl. After putting it in a 1 gallon jug I rewalized that its hardly anything at all.....I could always add another 48 oz bottle but what fun would that be?......right now the SG is at 1.050.

question #1: What is a good SG for a quick, easy batch?

question #2: Suggestions for any other ingredients to use to top off the bottle?

Last Question: Is there any tricks or standard time frame I should try to follow....that would have this drinkable quickly?

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
You could try adding two or three pounds of meduim bodied honey, a Joe Mattioli hand full of chopped raisins (25 by his reckoning) and the same amount of chopped dates, some grape tannin, maybe a quarter cup of raw brown sugar and top it off with some more cherry juice or apple juice, shake it good and pitch some K1-V1116 yeast.

I've never done the above recipe before, so maybe the folks who are the one gallon gurus can give you a better idea if what I put down would work. It sounds good to me though.

Take a chance . . . Custer did!

Oskaar

Helios

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 6, 2004
making note of those ingredients..(<~~ spelled right this time)....not even sure what a date taste like ..the raisins I have as well as dehydrated bing cherries and strawberries....guess those will work.....will have to get medium honey tomorrow...alls I have here is Killer Bee Honey and thats like Buckwheat.....too heavy.....
still taking suggestions......

the starting SG should be where?...abouts?

Jmattioli

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Starting gravity of 1.100 to 1.110
That will give you 13-14% alcohol
48 oz of cherry cider should be good for a melomel
32 is usually enough but 48 is fine. You are right to use a light honey so as not to overpower cherries. It should make a good mead. I usually just use 2 lbs of honey with that recipe and you willl probably have to sweeten it up a bit when finished since cherries are quite tart.
Joe

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns