• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Cherries, Apple Cider, Honey

Barrel Char Wood Products

tdurk

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 25, 2004
I have been making cherry wine for years with montmorency (sour) cherries from my small orchard in Door County. Never made mead before. Has anyone tried (or have a recipe for) a cherry-apple cyser? Any recommendations on the type of honey for this combination? And, any comments on boiling vs. non-boiling? Thanks in advance...

Jmattioli

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Here's one on this site for a Rasberry Cyser. All you need to do is substitute Cherries:
http://www.gotmead.com/mead-recipes/bees-lees-ii-5.shtml

Also here is a good and simple cyser by ThirstyViking. You can modify it to add cherries when you rack it to the secondary. He gives complete instructions for the beginner and I'm sure you will find it helpful.

http://gotmead.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=newbees;action=display;num=1085270489

No need to boil with his recipe. He uses K1v-1116 yeast which is very competitive.

Personally, I don't boil or skim as it can boil away some of the flavor and also kills some of the good stuff that helps yeasts. However, each to his/her own. Do what you think is best for you. We have no rules here on this site except we require you to have fun with your Meadmaking.
Best of luck with your cherry cyser and keep us posted of your progress.
Joe

ThistyViking

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 15, 2003
hehe got here too late, all questions answered ... even the mention that it would be cherry cyser .. as that implies designates the apple juice pressence already... Apple juice isn't the most over powering of flavors ... i'd think 3 parts apple juice to 1 part cherry as a guess... but i have never made it. good luck.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns