PDA

View Full Version : Real places you'd like to visit

Pewter_of_Deodar
10-29-2004, 09:09 AM
Ok, same line of thought as the names thread, but current real places you've never gone that you'd like to visit...

Top of Mount Everest
The Pyramids in Egypt
Taj Mahal

ronjohn55
10-29-2004, 11:10 AM
The Cathedral at Notre Dame
The North Shore of Ohau (At High surf)
Poland, all of it.

John

ScottS
10-29-2004, 11:18 AM
Iceland
New Zealand
Alaska

Oskaar
10-29-2004, 11:45 AM
Machu Picchu
Angkor Wat
Borobudur

Dan McFeeley
10-29-2004, 12:08 PM
Ireland
Brittany France

GntlKnght
10-30-2004, 12:09 PM
Australia
Castles in Europe
Jamaica

Wife says:
Egypt
Egypt
Egypt

Suzy_Q_Brewmistres
10-31-2004, 09:17 PM
Been to England & Europe... hubby in the military in the early 70's. Love it all.... but I'd like to go to the Virgin Islands, with no worries....
... or.... I can't think of anyplace else.... I'm pretty much content.
I'm a simple girl... I don't need much...

:-* Suzy Q, Brewmistress

WikdWaze
10-31-2004, 11:16 PM
I've been to 46 of the 50 states, I'd like to complete the collection.

David Baldwin
11-03-2004, 10:51 AM
Russia - Moscow, St Petersburg, Siberia

Glastonbury Abby

Latvia - There is a company there that manufactures ceramic wine bottles.

Derf
11-09-2004, 09:07 PM
When I was young, I wanted to travel the world and get as far away from New Brunswick as I could. Now though, having traveled a fair bit in Atlantic Canada, and briefly into Western Canada, I've come to the conclusion that I don't know my own country well enough to appreciate the differences in another one.

This is such a vast continent that I don't think I could ever truly come to know it all. I still have an urge to see Scotland and Ireland, where my ancestors come from. (Also Belgium, where my favourite beers come from.) But I bet I could spend the rest of my life traveling around Canada--even just Eastern Canada--with out ever thinking that I knew it well enough to represent my own region to the rest of the world.

Lately, my interest in Acadian--and thus, Cajun--history, and also (completely unrelated...) country blues music and increased my desire to tour through the Southern States. If ever I do muster the courage for such a trip, I would rely heavily on the few Southern friends I have made on the internet--mainly folk on this forum.

--Jay

Aggie4You
11-11-2004, 10:34 AM
Jamaica

Been there. It was great. I stayed at Grand lido Negril (twice). If you want to read about my adventures, you can find my trip reports here:

http://tinyurl.com/3m2xv

As far as where I'd like to go:
Jamaica (again)
Cozumel
Belize
(not necessarily in that order)

My wife says:
Jamaica
Belize
Madagascar
(again, not necessarily in that order)

Lagerman64
04-04-2005, 03:05 AM
Australia (again)
Austria
Belgium
Czech Republic (again)
Denmark
Finland
Germany
Japan (again)
New Zealand
Norway
Sweden
Switzerland
Thailand

Just for starters.... ;D

toolboxdiver
04-04-2005, 10:02 AM
Austrailia
Scotland
Sweeden & Norway
Alaska....again
Black Hills.....again
Japan....again
Stonehenge
Machu Picchu
Pompei
Cistein Chapel
Greece
Egypt

Pewter_of_Deodar
04-04-2005, 11:58 AM
Hey guys,

You were supposed to limit it to your top three... not the first page and a half off of your wish list... ;D

Lagerman64
04-04-2005, 12:17 PM
Oops, sorry, got carried away. :D

ancjr
04-05-2005, 06:28 AM
Canada, Mexico, pretty much anywhere off US soil for a vacation :)

Heck, I've only been in a plane twice!

:D

toolboxdiver
04-05-2005, 08:30 AM
Hey guys,

You were supposed to limit it to your top three... not the first page and a half off of your wish list... ;D

Sorry, guess I got carried away also.....hehehe

Miriam
04-05-2005, 02:28 PM
Bahia de Sao Salvador, Brazil (I'm ticked off because I lived in Brazil for 5 years and never got to legendary Bahia)
Australia & New Zealand (cheating a little on the number, here)
Auschwitz, for the sake of my soul.

Pewter_of_Deodar
04-05-2005, 02:49 PM
Miriam,

One can only imagine the breadth of emotions a Jewish person would feel when confronted with an artifact of the Holocost, like Auschwitz. I'm not real good at visiting the gravesites of past relatives. First, I don't believe they are there. Second, I do not like the deep sadness it generally brings. But thanks for sharing since it does provoke some interesting thoughts...

Pewter

Miriam
04-05-2005, 04:26 PM
Here in Israel many high-school graduating classes go on organized trips to Auschwitz. More than a visit of respect to the martyred, it is an effort to integrate the reality of that immense loss into one's very being; especially important now that the survivors of that time, that is the living witnesses, are very elderly and dying away.

But on a drinkier note, people in Brazil enjoy many concoctions but cachaca (cashassah) is the national tipple. It is also the base for the caipirinha, a daiquiri-like drink. Except that to me cachaca always tasted like kerosene; never could drink it.

And I would so love to tour all of vast Australia and New Zealand, taking in of course the wineries in each country as well. I hear the kosher wines are just as good as the non-. And I have several friends in both countries...well, maybe someday.

Mirian

Oskaar
04-06-2005, 02:25 AM
I have been raving to my parents for so long about the Mayan ruins in Tulum, Mexico; Tikal, Guatemala; Copan, Honduras, Cuello, Belize; and the Arenal Volcano in Costa Rica that they have booked a cruise to Yucatan, Belize and some of the islands off the coast.

Boy are they in for a treat!

Cheers,

Oskaar

Geoffrey Johnson
04-06-2005, 02:39 PM
Beijing (2008 Olympics) followed up by a couple months trekking around China with absolutely no purpose or destination.

Australia and New Zealand would deffinately be on the list of areas in which to hang my hat for a while. Any country started as an over-sized prison has to be a good time.

Myanmar- brother and parents have been there a couple times and love it. Everything is untouched by civilization, therefore you are not crowded by a million tourists, and can actually go weeks without seeing another white person; your dollar goes a long, long, long way; and the historical and cultural sites avaiable are endless. Also, though many may not find it interesting or fun, I really enjoy being in a country where I know little to none of the language and having the challenge of navigating your way around. By the end of your trip you are guarenteed to know at least some level of survival language, and heck, you may even find a pen pal!

~Geoffrey

jab
04-07-2005, 12:01 AM
1. Oskaar's brewhouse.
2. Joe's brewhouse.
3. Did I mention Oskaar's brewhouse?

Oskaar
04-07-2005, 01:42 AM
Anytime! The price of admission is a bottle of mead, a good Cuban cigar, and a couple of two inch thick steaks to throw on my barbeque.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Lagerman64
04-07-2005, 01:59 AM
The cigars may take a while, but I do have connections (I prefer Honduran, unless you into that rolled on the thigh of a virgin thing ;)) As for the mead no problem, but do I have some steaks for you? :P 1.5 inch ribeye's you can cut with a fork, the guys say I should open a steak and rib place (my ribs are pretty good to, a bit spicey though. Not hot, just a spicey rub). We need a drooling icon ;D I need to go grocery shopping......

Oskaar
04-07-2005, 02:10 AM
I have a couple of hundred in my humidor. Montecristo, Romeo y Julieta, Hoyo de Monterrey, Partagas, Simon Bolivar and the very rare Cohiba Lanceros that Castro used to smoke before he quit so many years ago.

Hondurans are great cigars and they've come a long way, but IMHO they just don't have the depth of Cubanos, which is why I prefer Cubans, the history, the tradition, the taste, the subtleties and the great head buzz that goes along with it. I'm planning on going to Cuba with my cousin later this year or early next year from Mexico where he lives. I have . . . alternate passports so it doesn't present a problem to travel there.

Cheers,

Oskaar

lostnbronx
04-08-2005, 02:22 AM
For me, it's:

Portmeirion, in Wales. I normally have an absolute horror of resorts, but this place is gorgeous, and I've always wanted to walk the streets of The Village.

Japan. My father was stationed there during the occupation, and he fell in love with the land and its people. Family legend says I might have relatives there as a result (wink-wink, nudge-nudge). I find the blending of Japan's ancient and modern customs to be absolutely fascinating.

New York City. We moved away from there about a year ago, and I tell you I'm absolutely heartbroken. I mourn for the place, like it was a late relative. I met the woman I love there; my son was born there; and I just miss it so... :'(

-David

Meadmage999
05-02-2005, 02:08 PM
my 3 pics in order:
1.New Orleans
2.The Caribbean with my father..
3.Stone Hedge

#2 was almost 1, but 1's cheeper than 2, and less stressful..

Marion
05-11-2005, 12:43 PM
Tough one.... so many enchanting places.

I suspect I would begin with the Mediterranean, starting at Capri Island.