• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

International Mead Association

Barrel Char Wood Products

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
Well folks, it's official. The International Mead Association is now a reality. Everything is still in the organization and planning stages, but things are coming together. Committees have been formed and people are setting down ideas and where to start working on them.

Briefly, the goals of the IMA are promotion and education, and to be involved in legislation regarding state & federal laws for winery/brewery operators. The annual Meadfest will continue to be an important event for both the meadery industry and home meadmakers.

This is really exciting news. People have been talking about the American Mead Association ever since its demise, asking if it was going to come back again. The new IMA is going to pick up on where the AMA left off, but because its being built on the foundation of the annual Meadfest, there is an even greater potential.

Gotta head out for now. The seminars are going to start in about an hour.

GntlKnght

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
When you have a minute, please let us all know how we can join, support, or in any other way participate in this!!!!!!!!!!!

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
When you have a minute, please let us all know how we can join, support, or in any other way participate in this!!!!!!!!!!!

Things are still very new -- committees have been set up, but it will be a while before it gets fully worked out. For the time being, the meadfest web site, www.meadfest.com, will be the place to check for updates on the status of the IMA. Later on it will have its own website.

I keep thinking about Pamela Spence, founder of the American Mead Association, hacking out the first AMA newsletters on a typewriter. It's nice to think that the vision she had for a mead organization has been revived again.

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
What Dan didn't get a chance to tell you is that committees have been formed to handle membership setup, judging for next years MeadFest, organizing next years MeadFest, research and development, marketing, and several other areas.

I, through dint of my big mouth, got elected to be in the R&D section, and Ken Schramm also volunteered. We immediately co-oped Dan (obviously!), and we also have Connie, a distributor/retailer out of CA, two meadery owners, a honey expert, and a soon-to-be meadery owner.

Ken and Dan will be dealing with the technical aspects of mead making, i.e. the science of fermentation, yeast issues, honey issues, and such. Connie and I are going to be polling every meadery on the planet on production levels and such, and attempting to establish some guidelines for meadery start-up, such as funds required, steps needed, getting licensed, creating labels, equipment needed and costs, business plans and such. Ken and Dan will also be working with the meadery owners to determine our own language, like the wine industry has.

In short, we're working on it. First order of business is get online, so we can all communicate, and I got that job. I'll be setting up private forums on a server donated by Rabbits Foot Meadery for the committees to communicate. With luck, you'll all see some significant progress over the next several months, and we'll keep you posted on what is happening.

You can look forward to an IMA website, with forums and newsletters, and lots of other info. I'm going to be doing the site too, so it will draw a lot from what I've learned doing Gotmead.

So, keep a watch in the new IMA forum, and we'll keep you posted, ok?

Vicky - tired and hitting the hay now......

MEADMAKER

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 19, 2004
What ever happened to the American Mead Association. I remember that the head of it was killed in a car accident a few year ago, but they had lots of info and a great news letter the American Mead maker. Hopefully that info has been saved and could be made available on Got Mead!

How can you be 2 places at once when you not in any place at all? :eek:

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Funny you should mention that. It happens I have copies of many of the old Meadmakers Journal, and am in the process of re-typing and scanning them so that I can do just that. I contacted those of the old organization I could find, and republish the journals, and am hoping that y'all will help me track down the authors to gain permission as I post their articles.

Great idea! Glad you thought of it!

Vicky

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
What ever happened to the American Mead Association. I remember that the head of it was killed in a car accident a few year ago, but they had lots of info and a great news letter the American Mead maker. Hopefully that info has been saved and could be made available on Got Mead!

The American Mead Association was founded by Pamela Spence, who kept it going for a few years as a non profit grassroots organization. It was mostly a labor of love requiring lots of time investment and eventually she had to give it up. Susanne Price took over as the new head of the AMA at that point. Under her leadership the AMA journals took on a new look -- Pamela Spence had been typing out the articles on a typewriter, using lots of great looking graphics, but Susanne was able to give the publications a more professional look. As you're aware, she was killed in a motor vehicle accident.

I'm not sure of the full story, but just before her death, Julian Strekel, who had also been involved with the AMA, became a co-director with Susanne Price. After her death Julian took over the managment of the AMA. By then the AMA had become involved in selling honey marketed specifically for meadmaking and brewing. Julian also advertised having found a solution to the varroa mite problem that has been plaguing the beekeeping/honey industry but wouldn't say what it was. The ad only gave contact numbers for the AMA for further information.

Some of the business practices in effect at that time seem to have been illegal -- in any case the business structure of the AMA caved in after that. Julian's ad had all the looks of a scam. Some of the AMA people in leadership positions quietly left town with no contact information, including Julian. They also took a lot of the AMA records with them.

A real shame. Pamela Spence and Susanne Price were both very dedicated people, wanting to see the AMA continue and become an influence. It looks like Susanne's decision to delegate leadership of the AMA resulted in her losing control of the organization, with the subsequent results of having it go under.

I don't know how many people still have copies of the publications of the AMA. I have the collection, as does Vickie. Some time ago I made copies of my collection and sent them to Paul Gatza, to be placed in the AHA library as a public reference.

I wouldn't want to go so far as to say that the written material is a vital source of information on meadmaking. There are some good articles here and there, the rest of it makes for interesting reading. Its historical value is important, as it represents a key aspect in meadmaking in the USA.

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Well, there isn't a member list (as such) yet. The bylaws just got finalized a little while ago, and the membership committee is still working on dues and such. So, I expect we'll see this all firm up at the next MeadFest in February.

Vicky

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns