PDA

View Full Version : Other hobbies

CosmicCharlie
11-19-2004, 03:53 PM
I've made beer for quite a while, but I want to try making my own mustard. And/or cheese. Those seem like fun too.

Jmattioli
11-19-2004, 03:57 PM
Cheese sounds like a useful addition for wine or mead. Got any good tips or instructions?
Joe

CosmicCharlie
11-19-2004, 04:00 PM
Not as of yet. All Ive done so far is make plain cheese from plain yogurt, then flavor it with wine and/or spices.

Oskaar
11-19-2004, 06:41 PM
"Do you in fact have any cheese at all?"

"Yes sir . . . well no sir, not a scrap! I was deliberately wasting your time."

"I'm afraid I'm going to have to shoot you then."

"Right-o sir."

BANG

"What a senseless waste of human life."

webmaster
11-19-2004, 06:45 PM
Y'know, Oskaar? I *really* worry about you some times......

Vicky - wondering what its going to be like getting drunk with Oskaar at the next MeadFest....... :-X

Cartierusm
11-19-2004, 07:01 PM
I've made cheese. Went through the whole production. Equipment, educations etc... Cheese without proper hands on instructions is very hard to make. The difference between cheddar and gouda is 3 degrees temperature difference for like 3 hours. It's hard. Then you won't know if it's any good until a year from when you made it. At least mead you can try when it's done even if it's not up to it's true potential.

Oskaar
11-19-2004, 07:17 PM
And that's without mead!

Couldn't resist a bit of the Monty Python Cheese Shop skit! ;D

Oskaar

webmaster
11-19-2004, 08:17 PM
I figured that was Python......

And we're seriously considering having cheese makers actively participate in the next MeadFest....

Be Afraid. Be Very Afraid.....

Muahahahahahahaahhaaa 8)

Jmattioli
11-19-2004, 08:38 PM
It's nice to know I'm hanging around on a forum with really "ate up" people. I don't feel so odd anymore. ;D no :D I don't have teeth like that.
Joe

exmoor_cat
11-20-2004, 08:18 AM
"What?"
"I think he said 'blessed are the cheesemakers'?"

Couldn't resist joining in!

Caerwyn
11-20-2004, 03:38 PM
just don't ask where rennet comes from. ;)

You'll never look at cheese the same way again.

Caerwyn

exmoor_cat
11-21-2004, 04:19 AM
heheheheh, there are alternatives too :)

Back on topic - most of my hbbies are dormant due to cashflow issues, but I tend towards sport such as rowing, hockey and fencing. OTher things re travelling whenever possible and wargaming/roleplaying.

UncleBen
11-21-2004, 08:11 PM
I have made cheese. It's rather cheep, and easy to do. I also only ever used vegetible rennet.

I recomend starting with making mozzarella untill you know what your doing. A mix up a gallon powered milk, and add a pint of heavy whipping cream, as an excellent replacement for fresh cow's milk.

Mozzarella doesn't require aging, so you get to enjoy it the same night. Most other cheeses need to be pressed, for several days to years.

I also make soap. I told my wife, it was a nice clean hobby:) Soap, if actaully fun to make from scratch, and like wine there's a bit of artistic expression allowed. Soap bars make excellent presents too.

Oskaar
11-21-2004, 10:11 PM
Let's see . . .

I like to hunt upland game, I'm a bit of a shutterbug, I enjoy reading Ancient history (Egypt, Greece, Rome, Asia Minor, etc.), I do a lot of BBQ-ing, I go to garage sales (I found 37 6.5 gal carboys for a total of $8.00), I ski in the local mountains when I have time, and I am a board member on three non-profit art, community outreach and cultural organizations.

I teach a self-defense for women class, I'm using a couple of music software applications to score some music that I used to perform with my band (I play keyboard and synthesizer, but not for a long time so my chops are really REALLY rusty!), and I attend about two wine tastings per week.

Oskaar

Talon
11-22-2004, 06:53 AM
Okay, I feel like the off the wall one with my hobbies... lol
Other than making mead, I'm a ham radio operator and I love to go rock climbing. And that's where all normalcy ends...
I also spin poi. I've not used my fire poi yet, I'm working on a routine to do first for a full 5 minutes first, then I'll work on practicing with them lit.
I breathe fire and want to learn the fire staff.
(Yes, I have at a minimum of 2 spotters at all times just in case I hit myself or get blowback. Safety is always a foremost thought. One is always my wife with a wet towel and the other usually holds the water hose.)

ScottS
11-22-2004, 11:01 AM
My wife and I do lots of stuff. ;D It's grown into a business: http://www.slezakfarms.com. We've processed cow and goat milk into nearly everything imaginable, though we haven't had a large enough supply of good cow milk to make lots of hard cheeses just yet. In another 18 mos or so our milk cow will be doing her thing. I can't wait. We make soap, lotion, etc. We've got 7 hams curing in the basement. I've made lots of sausage, and I'm making my first foray into kielbasa-making this winter. I keep some bees and am building that into part of the business. Besides that, I too really enjoy reading about ancient history, Roman history in particular. I haven't had time to indulge in much of that lately though.

Jmattioli
11-23-2004, 01:07 PM
I have made cheese. It's rather cheep, and easy to do. I also only ever used vegetible rennet.

I recomend starting with making mozzarella untill you know what your doing. A mix up a gallon powered milk, and add a pint of heavy whipping cream, as an excellent replacement for fresh cow's milk.

Mozzarella doesn't require aging, so you get to enjoy it the same night. Most other cheeses need to be pressed, for several days to years.

I also make soap. I told my wife, it was a nice clean hobby:) Soap, if actaully fun to make from scratch, and like wine there's a bit of artistic expression allowed. Soap bars make excellent presents too.
Waiting on a procedure and detailed recipe for your 1 day mozzarella cheese
Joe

UncleBen
11-24-2004, 08:43 PM
Hey joe, Just do a google search for {"mozzarella cheese" making }
Like most people today, I cheate and use a microwave to melt the cheese. Leeners has pretty nice instructions at http://www.leeners.com/mozzarella.html They have a nice kit too.
If you use store bought hogomoginized milk you have to add calcium chloride, or you'll get nasty rocotta looking glob.

I got my recipe here http://schmidling.netfirms.com/cres.htm#mozz

Take care, thanks again for all your help. That cyser I made still rocks. Happy Thanksgiveng.
Ben

UncleBen
11-24-2004, 09:07 PM
Joe, I forgot to point out that I was using the recipe from that page with the instructions from Leeners.

Ben

ScottS
11-25-2004, 09:28 AM
Here is a quick mozzarella recipe that my wife made just yesterday. It is excellent, trust me. ;D We recommend that you get milk as close to the cow as possible. She used whole (unskimmed) raw Jersey milk, nice and creamy. I assume you can't get raw milk or real whole milk, so instead get whole milk from the grocery store. And NOT ultrapasteurized.

1. Dissolve 1 1/4 tsp citric acid powder (get this at a cheese supply company http://www.cheesemaking.com/) in 1/4 cup cold unchlorinated water. Add to 1 gal cool milk in a stainless steel or unreactive bowl.
2. Heat milk to 88 degrees F. Do this in a warm water bath in your sink, not on the stove. Precision is important, just a few degrees off can screw it up unrepairably.
3. Dissolve 1/4 tsp liquid rennet (http://www.cheesemaking.com/) in 1/4 cup cool unchlorinated water. Add to milk, stirring in an up and down motion for 1 minute.
4. Allow milk to set at 88 degrees until you reach a clean break, or until the curds solidify and the whey floats on top. If the whey is still milky white, wait a few more minutes. I waited about 10 minutes.
5. Scoop out curds with a slotted spoon and put in a colander. Make sure that you save the whey. You will need it to make the cheese stretch.
6. Heat whey to 155 degrees on your stovetop. I put a small handful of curds on a slotted spoon and gently lower them into the hot whey. In a few seconds (about 10-20) the cheese will start to melt, turning into a taffy like substance. Stretch the cheese like taffy until all the cottage cheese textured curds turn glossy and smooth. Form into a ball and set aside. Do theis with the rest of the curds. You may want to wear rubber gloves for this step. The cheese is very hot.
7. Make a brine solution in the ratio of 8 oz of kosher or canning salt to 1 quart of cold water. Soak the cheese in the brine for 10-30 minutes. I like 20 min. myself. Remove from the brine, pat the cheese dry and put it in the fridge. It is best eaten soon. And if your house is anything like mine, it doesn't last more than 1 day.

Suzy_Q_Brewmistres
11-28-2004, 10:56 AM
Hobbies.... well let's see...
I crochet, I knit, I sew... since childhood.
I belong to a Local Ren Group and make my costumes.
I do ceramics. I make Dolls...(20 some years) mostly miniature porcelain dolls and Faeries.
I do Beadings and collect rocks. My husband calls me Lucy from Lucy & Desi's movie "The Long Long Trailer".. since I'll stop the car to pick up rocks along side the road.
I am really very new to Mead making... since Sept. I do genealogy (20 some years)...
I'm also a collector of things... quite often vintage and general junque.
So basically, "I've got lots of irons in the fire" as my Dad would say.
I read Historical Romance Novels as well.
I think that's it... prolly more.. just can't think of them all.

:-* Suzy Q, Brewmistress

Norskersword
12-23-2004, 04:00 PM
Longsword martial arts. Italian medieval sword fighting. I took a class on it and I plan to go back. We study from The Flos Duellatorum, a book the was written in Italy in 1410 by a man named Fiore De Liberi. Very fun stuff, I can't get enough of it.

randy
12-29-2004, 08:56 PM
haven' had a lot of luck with other hobbies. was into ham radio for a while, then everyone I talked to abandoned the hobby when the internet started to bloom... started to play with computers for a hobby, now that turned into my job, so it's not as much fun anymore....

Just started making Mead, (1st batch is close to done now...) hopefully i can turn THAT into a job too!

other than that i think i will collect Dust for my next hobby..... ;D

Tsuchi
01-09-2005, 11:41 PM
Well making just about anything makes me happy... I've managed to turn my favorite into a career. So to begin with in my daily life Iím a goldsmith and work bench at a local, well respected, family-owned jewellery shop. As for the hobbies I think Iíll lay them down in points.

-Blacksmithing (though I donít have access to the space needed as Iím in an apt at the moment)
-Knifemaking (same problem as above though at the moment)
-Ceramics, throwing pottery on a wheel (another curtailed by the reduced space)
-Silk dye painting
-Weaving
-Making herbal potions and lotions
-Lapidary and stone carving
-Sewing
-Gardening (lol not as hard as I thought it would be in an apt.. though they take up their fair share of space in the winter)
-Hiking and biking depending on season (i hate biking in the cold)

And in my spare time plotting how i can make room for all of these and build a home to my specs... so much $$ involved in this one.. but hay it's for the rest of my life so i might as well plan carefully and do it right.

Lagerman64
04-04-2005, 02:49 AM
Anime
Gardening
Hiking and camping
Beer and wine making
BBQ and smoking meats
Frankensteining computers (building/over clocked/power gaming rigs)
Reading American History, Marine Corps History, Horror, Sci Fi, Fantasy

Always have been curious about cheese making and roasting my own coffee, just haven't crossed those lines yet. ;D

davarm
04-04-2005, 07:30 AM
-Playing fiddle, banjo, guitar (celtic & oldtime music)
-banjo building (built one kit, about to finish first one from scratch)
-audio books; historical & some fiction (no time for real books....recommend audible.com!!)
-tearing apart & upgrading computers (mostly my own..never satisfied!)
-digital home recording...just got a new Presonus Firebox!
-cheese; not into making it, but very happy to eat it!
-jogging; more painful since turning 42!
-latest hobby.....Federal Income Tax Return >:(
-best hobby.....playing with my 2-year old boy :D

Lagerman64
04-04-2005, 09:26 AM
Banjo building kit? That sounds totally cool, do you have a web link? :) I am very interested in doing that.

toolboxdiver
04-04-2005, 09:48 AM
I figured that was Python......

And we're seriously considering having cheese makers actively participate in the next MeadFest....

Be Afraid. Be Very Afraid.....

Muahahahahahahaahhaaa 8)

Whats so special about the cheesemakers.......I don't think it was meant to be taken literaly I think he is refering to any manufacturer of Dairy products.

Got to love that Monty Python

toolboxdiver
04-04-2005, 09:56 AM
but on the serious side, I enjoy Scuba Diving, Hiking, I am a Native American and I Make Native Crafts, I do Blacksmithing, I carve Antler and Stone, and I am a Traditional Mens Dancer at Native Pow Wows.

Geoffrey Johnson
04-04-2005, 10:10 AM
Mousebender - It's not much of a cheese shop really, is it?

Wensleydale - Finest in the district, sir!

Mousebender - And what leads you to that conclusion?

Wensleydale - Well, it's so clean.

Mousebender - Well, it's certainly unconaminated by cheese.

....what a delightful skit!

Oskaar
04-04-2005, 02:38 PM
Mousebender: Do you in fact have any cheese at all?

Wensleydale: Yes sir . . . well no sir, not a scrap. I was deliberately wasting your time.

byathread
04-04-2005, 11:05 PM
My personal favorites include:

1) Gardening - plants (and the growing of food and other useful plants) are probably my most passionate pursuit! I've got a wonderful orchard here in SE Texas of citrus, figs, persimmons, mulberries and pomegranates which I hope to incorporate into my melomels as they begin producing more abundantly!
2) Cooking - I'm definitely a health-nut and enjoy cooking everything from scratch. Can't follow a recipe to save my life (which will perhaps lead me to exciting discoveries in the mead/beer brewing worlds). I used to be a butcher and love to BBQ (especially lamb, and smoking with mesquite).
3) Biking/cycling - getting ready to do a 200 mile ride in 2 weeks!
4) Camping/hiking - particularly in west Texas
5) Anime, Roleplaying
6) Reading - SciFi, Fantasy, History, Ecology, Poetry, other hobbies (see above)

jeebeel
04-04-2005, 11:24 PM
1. Being with my 1 1/2 year old daughter and my wife;
2. Chilling out with a glass of mead or homebrew;
3. Cooking;
4. Doing/teaching aikido;
5. Reading;
6. Tending my garden;
7. Grooving on my great (and massive) CD collection.

In sum, trying to lead a full life - being a good husband & father, nurturing my physical & emotional health, enjoying friends & family, and mastering those personal passions which keep me whole.

ancjr
04-05-2005, 02:13 AM
Wow, what diversified talents and interests! :D

As for myself, and in no particular order:
Bass guitar - Music, food water = the only 3 things I couldn't live without
Speaker building (home theatre, PA, musical instrument)
Drawing, Painting (not as much as I should as of late though)
Photography - All my equipment is the old "photo-chemical" type. Anybody remember those days? ;)
Cooking - Which I consider in many ways to be modern day alchemy when done right ;) (which lead me to mead making)
Grass growing - I'm obsessed with having a nice yard :)
Marksmanship - Great therapy as well ;)
Frankensteinian computing - Cheapest way to have the best computer (or cluster) on the block!
Movies - I have quite an extensive collection of DVD's - all genres
Camping/Hiking/Enjoying nature in all it's forms - Another great form of therapy that seems to cleanse the mind and empower the soul

Geoffrey Johnson
04-12-2005, 09:34 AM
Cooking would have to be in there....homemade bread, chilie, stews...Yummy,
Yummy (can you name that children's television
program?)
Road biking/Off-road biking...what better way to enjoy the great outdoors and get
some exercise in as well!
Gardening/Landscaping.........Live in northern VA, so there isn't much land around
here that hasen't been developed or randomly
paved, but the parents have a good sized yard, and
ours is big enough...so I can still play gardener!
Pretending to be a two year old....okay, so it is not a hobby, but when you are
playing with playdough, driving small plastic
lawnmovers through the livingroom, can recite
most Disney movies, and actually translate
from two year old talk to "normal English"....it's
close enough!

Last but not least is keeping up on my Monty Python watching...got the entire Flying Circus collection last Christmas and have not gone a week without watching at least one DVD. That is in addition to the feature films....gotta love the Python!
;D

Miriam
04-13-2005, 04:13 PM
I am pretty much the one responsible for the welfare of my family, including some with chronic ailments, and my elderly mother - so there is not much time to develop other serious, time-consuming hobbies apart from homebrewing.

Other things that I enjoy doing are necessary, not hobbies: maintaining my (small) soap business; staying up to date with herbology; reading (for some reason I'm seriously into Shakespeare at this time, which delights my husband the English Lit major); fine cooking and sourdough baking; nature walks and foraging for medicinal/edible herbs; working out 3 x weekly. I also assist a Special Ed teacher with the English material she needs to read for her doctorate (translating, making her think in English). She insists on paying for my time, but I would do it free because I like her and enjoy the work. I sometimes run courses on natural skin care. Having recently made friends with a beekeeper (who turns out to be one of the country's major honey producers) I am putting together a talk on making mead which will hopefully be held at this guy's premises.

After a day's work I often pop a movie into the DVD and chill with a chilled glass of guess what.

Miriam

Skinner
04-13-2005, 05:52 PM
Im fairly new to homebrewing, but one of my long time hobbies and aspirations is flying, I currently am undertaking my private pilot course rating and hope to continue on to becoming a professional pilot.

Skinner

JoeM
04-14-2005, 12:29 AM
I used to shoot traditional archery, unfortunately time no longer permits.

Mynx
04-14-2005, 12:08 PM
Well, other than mead-making (and a soon-to-happen foray into brewing my own beer), I sew/costume, garden, walk (being in Vancouver, there are some really beautiful areas of the city to wander thru), go camping in the summer, and am heavily addicted to EverQuest 2 :-[

Geoffrey Johnson
04-14-2005, 05:07 PM
My mother grew up on a 25 acre fruit orchard in Vancouver. Things being as they were (namely us living in Virginia and bouncing back and forth to Germany every two years), I have only been up there a couple times. It is (or at least was) an incredibly beautiful corner of the world!

I sympathize with your EQ2 addiction :-\ I had a hell of a time kicking an EQ1 addiction myself....and had to boycot Best Buy when EQ2 came out for fear that I would crumble! I didn't though....instead I bought Doom 3 and Halflife :D

~Geoffrey

Mynx
04-14-2005, 05:43 PM
Haha, wow, it must have been more than a few years ago now...I dont think there are *any* farms in Vancouver proper anymore (this is British Columbia too, I just realized there's a Vancouver, Washington too)...

Can't complain about EQ2 that much..keeps me busy ;)

WRATHWILDE
05-11-2005, 07:27 AM
Follow the Holy Gourd of Jerusalem...

Mine own hobbies are...
Photography and Portrait Drawings (not as much as it should be).
Camping/partying with friends & family, usually a couple of times a year.
Reading, fiction, non-fiction, Sci-Fi.
A warped DVD Collection of about 800 films.
(City of Lost Children, Brazil, Naked Lunch, Meet the Feebles, Ong-Bak)
Just joined the SCA (never had a chapter that met when I was Avail. before)
Cooking, Baking, BBQ. Fondue
Body Surfing when Im in SoCal. (hardly ever anymore) :'(
Learning anything useful, or trivial
Anything that involves Pleasure... Pleasure is it's own reward! ;D

Wrathwilde

ps - has anybody here seen "The Secret Policeman's Balls?"

Oskaar
05-11-2005, 12:12 PM
Body surfing - 52nd street Newport Beach/the Wedge

Will this wind be so mighty as to lay LOW . . .

"I'm a free lance maintenance man!"

WRATHWILDE
05-13-2005, 04:11 AM
as to lay low the mountains of the earth?

Will this wind...be so mighty as to lay low the mountains of the earth?
No. It will not be as mighty as that, which is why we came up on the mountain in the first place. Up 'ere we'll be safe as houses.

And what will happen to the houses?

They'll all be swept away and consumed by the fire and should serve them bloody well right I should think.

Wrathwilde ;D

Marion
05-13-2005, 09:06 PM
Ok, ok... I can see these two guys may get carried away with the wind, so I'll chime in on other hobbies...LOL

Plain living, which consist of many, many things. (which is why I never seem to really accomplish anything)

Gardening
Putt'n-up food
Basic skills
The list could go & go, but other things....

Coastal life. You name it. Beach, crab traps, wooden boats, sun, sand, winds, storms....
Ok you two, back to the wind...

Can you tell I've been in the Mead this evening?

WRATHWILDE
06-02-2005, 06:47 AM
Man... I can't believe I forgot my favorite hobby (well 2nd favorite ;))

FIREWALKING!!!

Been to more than a dozen firewalks, I have walked over red hot coals (yes... bare foot) well over 100 times. I've also juggled and eaten red hot coals.

learn more here http://www.sundoor.com/

Peggy Dylan (of Sundoor) is a friend of mine and keeps pushing for me to become a firewalk instructor. I used to go to school with her daughter Taya, her son Aaron was my roommate for a while as well. Peggy was married to Tolly Burkan who has been acknowledged as reintroducing firewalking to North America. Every Firewalk instructor you've ever seen advertised (including Anthony Robbins and Michael Sky) has been trained by one of these two extraordinary people.

http://www.firewalking.com/firewalk.html (Tolly's Site)

Wrathwilde

lostnbronx
06-02-2005, 10:43 AM
WW,

I always wondered about this -- why don't you guys get burned when you do this? I've burned my fingers right through a pair of gloves taking a tray out of my sun oven, and that was only about 250 degrees. They'd be calling me stumpy if I tried to walk over coals. :o

-David

Dan McFeeley
06-02-2005, 12:08 PM
Fire walking? No, not for me, not unless WW is there to tell me how to do this. :o

Hobbies -- it's a question of busy time v/s leisure time. Too much time investment in a hobby doesn't necessarily mean down time, which is what a hobby should be all about.

Myself, I like walking the dogs, tooling around with Irish folk music, and the latest is taking our 7 yr old to the local state park riding stable.

An old friend (seriously, he was in his early 70's) used to talk to me about retirement and activity. His brother hit retirement age and said that, after all that hard work, he was going to put his feet up and just relax. My friend told me that within a year he was dead. My friend's philosophy of life was to keep moving, no matter how old you might be. Keep still and you die. He took a security job at the campus where he had been a foreman for many years, just to keep going. Really great guy, used to wander the campus, make friends with the students and help them through early life difficulties.

When I reach his age, I hope to at least touch the hem of the robe of his life experiences.

WRATHWILDE
06-02-2005, 03:21 PM
Really great guy, used to wander the campus, make friends with the students and help them through early life difficulties.

When I reach his age, I hope to at least touch the hem of the robe of his life experiences.

Sounds like a great guy... I hope we all do as well.

As for the hows & why's we can firewalk... who knows, see current theory here.

http://www.firewalking.com/theory.html

All I know is after a firewalk I feel more "alive" than at any other time. It's better than an adrenaline rush (though probably that as well). It feels like every atom in your body comes alive... offering up their power for your use.

Of all those times I've been slightly burned walking twice. I've come to believe you need to be well hydrated. One walk where we all got burned was just outside of death valley. We were protesting Nuclear testing on Indian land, a group of about 65 of us did a bicycle trek (800 miles in a week and a half) from Sonora California to just outside of Las Vegas for a solar powered 100th monkey benefit concert. The fire walk came about 9 days in the bike trek at the end of the day. Every one of the bicyclers who walked that night got burned. The people who hadn't biked were fine.

Wrathwilde

UncleBob
06-02-2005, 09:51 PM
Howdy!
I work as a tobacconist and I am always making new blends of pipe tobaccos.

Other Hobbies:
Jogging
Fossil Hunting
Roses
And collecting useless degrees!

urbanraven
06-03-2005, 08:49 PM
Hobbies... Well, I...
Geocache, garden, write, and dabble in photography.

Also, working on another degree (it'll be my second.)

UncleBob
06-03-2005, 08:59 PM
Also, working on another degree (it'll be my second.)

What are you studying?

urbanraven
06-03-2005, 09:11 PM
Cool. My first degree was a BA in Journalism. Now working on a BS in Psychology. I'm hoping to pursue the Psych. degree much further. There's a big part of me that wants to study Psychology at UC Davis while taking some of the enology and viticulture classes. ;D

Dmntd
10-28-2005, 05:08 PM
Other hobbies, I;

Make furniture of my own design, using 19th c. tools and technique (except saw's, chisel's and my bench/hand planes are Lie Nielsen), no powertools or metal fasteners.

Make varnish.

Craft and tool leather goods.

Play guitar, banjo and fiddle.

Collect pre-20th c. glass, tools and cutlery.

Have practiced martial arts and yoga since my pre-teens, at 43 and 330 lb, I can still do a backbend.

Cooking, fishing, reading and nawa shibari.

Hobbies I no longer pursue;

hunting, hiking, camping, long range (500 + yard) target shooting, practical pistol and shotgun sports, longbow archery, motorcycling or surfing.

Happy mazing,

Anthony

HomeBrew
10-28-2005, 05:20 PM
The problem with having a lot of hobbies is having to buy all of the damn toys/ gear. My other hobbies include:

Backpacking
Canoeing/ kayaking
Bowhunting
Blackpowder rifle hunting
Banjo playing
Hand drumming
Artifact hunting
Reading (currently reading the latest Wheel of Time novel...I became annoyed and frustrated with Jordan and series long ago, but I feel obligated to finish it.)

Peace.

Dmntd
10-28-2005, 05:30 PM
You're right about that HB, I don't even want to think about what I've invested over the years in hobbies.

Anthony

briankettering
10-28-2005, 10:44 PM
My hobbies generally include something medieval:
- Brewing mead, beer, wine, cordials, vinegar, syrups, sodas
- Teaching brewing classes
- Making maille and lamellar armour
- Making wire and bead jewelry
- Camping with bunches of people who like to dress up in medieval clothes
- Striking medieval-style coins by hand

Brian K
SCA: Donal O'Brien, Caid

mouko_yamamoto
10-29-2005, 09:23 AM
Wow, there is such a diverse range of interests here. I myself also blacksmith and yoyo for my other hobbies.

lostnbronx
10-29-2005, 10:47 AM
Mouko,

Welcome to the Forums! You'll find people from all walks of life here, with a diverse range of interests and passions -- yet we're all absolutely loopy about mead!

Yo-yo? That's just too cool for words! The last time I tried to use a yo-yo, I smacked myself hard in the face. That was enough for me!

Anyway, hope to see you around here soon!

-David

buzzardwhiskey
10-29-2005, 11:32 AM
I soar. There are a bunch of pics, many that I've taken, up on the Photos section
of the club site - http://www.utahsoaring.org

I'm also studying to be a nurse.

abejita
10-29-2005, 11:48 AM
I read, mostly YAF (young adult fiction). As a logical extension of that, I write YAF. I've been working on a novel for awhile. It was shelved for a few months due to illness and upheaval (we moved from VA to TX), but I think I'm ready to start it up again.

I also help run an online RPG. I used to play tabletop games, but had a lot of bad experiences being the lone female in a group of socially maladjusted males.

A lot of my time is taken up by activist type stuff. Food Not Bombs, of late.

andrew_buhl
10-29-2005, 12:16 PM
Aside from making mead. I read alot. Draw. Play Xbox with the family. Chill on the net. Make swords. Other than making mead I don't have a lot of time. I would love to make sausages and cheese though.

Brewbear
10-29-2005, 06:44 PM
Let's see,
You mean there's something else besides makink mead? Oh, making beer...
I also like hiking, fishing, reading, playing with adobe photoshop and sound editors, mead makink, beer making, meading, mazing, brewing.....

Ted - it's time to brew!!!
Oh, yeah!!!Almost forgot, listen to podcasts ( check out the Security Now! podcast). Did I mention brewing beer and mead?

Angus
10-30-2005, 11:01 AM
When not working.......

Making Ukranian Easter eggs.
Travelling.
Cooking.
Brewing.
Various engineering things...currently designing and planning to build a bio-diesel unit to make bio-diesel out of used cooking oil.

Oh, and eating. I love to eat. I love food!

Angus

mouko_yamamoto
10-30-2005, 11:11 AM
Oh, and eating. I love to eat. I love food!

Angus

Oh, how could I forget?!?! Food is great. Hope I'm not stepping on any vegans or vegetarians out there, but there's nothing better than a good steak!

Val
10-30-2005, 11:30 AM
Other hobbies:

Well, brewing to me is part of my SCA life, which also includes fighting and leatherworking.

My wife and I also dance Tango and play Guild Wars online.

Pewter_of_Deodar
11-01-2005, 11:00 AM
Val,

Hadn't noticed a post from you in a long time and was a bit worried. Are things going ok?

Pewter

scout
11-04-2005, 09:14 AM
Whoa, other hobbies? Here goes:

glass beadmaking , beadweaving, candlemaking, temari, rubber stamping, scrapbooking, book making (does not involve bets *grins*), altered arts, basketweaving, knitting, needlework, sewing, rubber stamp carving, playing around with graphics on the web, making websites (not very well), reading, oh, and bunches of stuff that can't be categorized.

Brewboy
11-09-2005, 01:29 PM
Wow! It's amazing the variety of hobbies that help to fill our busy lives. Not much out of the ordinary here:

1. Playing games with my 2 sons (and frequently losing now that they are getting smarter/faster)
2. Buying new cookbooks, and trying new recipes--and eating!
3. Grilling/BBQ/Smoking (currently I use a gas grill, a charcoal grill/smoker and a open fire pit)--and eating!
4. Roasting Coffee
5. Making Mead, Ales, Cider, and soon-to-be starting Wine--and drinking!
6. Reading (popcorn fiction...Tom Clancy, Clive Cussler, Robert B. Parker, etc)
7. Watching my beloved Green Bay Packers....although that hobby is seriously hard to handle this season.

Trevor

Geoo
11-09-2005, 01:43 PM
Other hobbies

1. Playing guitar
2. SCA
A. Archery
B. Used to sew
C. Acting
3. Making beer
4. Xbox
5. Soccer (Watching, playing, coaching)
6. Nascar
7. College and Pro Football

Geoo

webmaster
11-09-2005, 04:35 PM
Lessee....

I think the first one is obvious... <grin> but beyond that....

- Re-enacting with the Guild of St. Andrew at Manteo's Roanoke Island Festival Park
- going to renaissance festivals (usually CRF, MDRF and a couple others)
- attending and shooting at Civil War skirmishes (getting pretty good with a musket!)
- sewing clothes for Pennsic, ren faires and civil war events
- reading, mostly mysteries and historical novels these days
- geneology (English, German, Scottish, Irish, Swedish so far, guess I'm a mutt!)

That pretty much eats up my time...

Vicky - working on graphics for black t-shirts for the store on GM

Alden
11-09-2005, 05:05 PM
Hobbies. My wife would say I have too many. Here's a few in no particular order, though they are numbered.

1. Society for Creative Anachronism
1.a Heraldry
1.b Bardic arts
1.b.i poetry (particularly Elizabethan)
1.b.ii Sea shanties (post SCA period, but fun nonetheless)
1.b.iii Bawdy songs
1.b.iv Soon to add harp playing
1.c Archery
1.d Thrown weapons
1.e Heavy (Chiv) fighting
1.f Sewing
1.g Mazing
1.h Inkle weaving
2. Computer/X-Box games
3. Guitar
4. SCUBA diving (NASDS Cert)
5. My 2 dogs (Sable and Kodiak)
6. Woodworking
7. Reading (lately nautical historical fiction)
8. Cooking

Somewhere in all that mess I also go to work and sleep....oh and spend time with my wife.