• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Other hobbies

Barrel Char Wood Products

CosmicCharlie

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 15, 2004
I've made beer for quite a while, but I want to try making my own mustard. And/or cheese. Those seem like fun too.

CosmicCharlie

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 15, 2004
Not as of yet. All Ive done so far is make plain cheese from plain yogurt, then flavor it with wine and/or spices.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
"Do you in fact have any cheese at all?"

"Yes sir . . . well no sir, not a scrap! I was deliberately wasting your time."

"I'm afraid I'm going to have to shoot you then."

"Right-o sir."

BANG

"What a senseless waste of human life."

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Y'know, Oskaar? I *really* worry about you some times......

Vicky - wondering what its going to be like getting drunk with Oskaar at the next MeadFest....... :-X

Cartierusm

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 31, 2004
www.smokeproductions.com
I've made cheese. Went through the whole production. Equipment, educations etc... Cheese without proper hands on instructions is very hard to make. The difference between cheddar and gouda is 3 degrees temperature difference for like 3 hours. It's hard. Then you won't know if it's any good until a year from when you made it. At least mead you can try when it's done even if it's not up to it's true potential.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
And that's without mead!

Couldn't resist a bit of the Monty Python Cheese Shop skit! ;D

Oskaar

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
I figured that was Python......

And we're seriously considering having cheese makers actively participate in the next MeadFest....

Be Afraid. Be Very Afraid.....

Muahahahahahahaahhaaa 8)

Caerwyn

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 20, 2004
just don't ask where rennet comes from. ;)

You'll never look at cheese the same way again.

Caerwyn

exmoor_cat

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 20, 2004
www.livejournal.com
heheheheh, there are alternatives too :)

Back on topic - most of my hbbies are dormant due to cashflow issues, but I tend towards sport such as rowing, hockey and fencing. OTher things re travelling whenever possible and wargaming/roleplaying.

UncleBen

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 13, 2004
I have made cheese. It's rather cheep, and easy to do. I also only ever used vegetible rennet.

I recomend starting with making mozzarella untill you know what your doing. A mix up a gallon powered milk, and add a pint of heavy whipping cream, as an excellent replacement for fresh cow's milk.

Mozzarella doesn't require aging, so you get to enjoy it the same night. Most other cheeses need to be pressed, for several days to years.

I also make soap. I told my wife, it was a nice clean hobby:) Soap, if actaully fun to make from scratch, and like wine there's a bit of artistic expression allowed. Soap bars make excellent presents too.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Let's see . . .

I like to hunt upland game, I'm a bit of a shutterbug, I enjoy reading Ancient history (Egypt, Greece, Rome, Asia Minor, etc.), I do a lot of BBQ-ing, I go to garage sales (I found 37 6.5 gal carboys for a total of $8.00), I ski in the local mountains when I have time, and I am a board member on three non-profit art, community outreach and cultural organizations.

I teach a self-defense for women class, I'm using a couple of music software applications to score some music that I used to perform with my band (I play keyboard and synthesizer, but not for a long time so my chops are really REALLY rusty!), and I attend about two wine tastings per week.

Oskaar

Talon

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 8, 2004
Okay, I feel like the off the wall one with my hobbies... lol
Other than making mead, I'm a ham radio operator and I love to go rock climbing. And that's where all normalcy ends...
I also spin poi. I've not used my fire poi yet, I'm working on a routine to do first for a full 5 minutes first, then I'll work on practicing with them lit.
I breathe fire and want to learn the fire staff.
(Yes, I have at a minimum of 2 spotters at all times just in case I hit myself or get blowback. Safety is always a foremost thought. One is always my wife with a wet towel and the other usually holds the water hose.)

ScottS

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 12, 2003
www.slezakfarms.com
My wife and I do lots of stuff. ;D It's grown into a business: http://www.slezakfarms.com. We've processed cow and goat milk into nearly everything imaginable, though we haven't had a large enough supply of good cow milk to make lots of hard cheeses just yet. In another 18 mos or so our milk cow will be doing her thing. I can't wait. We make soap, lotion, etc. We've got 7 hams curing in the basement. I've made lots of sausage, and I'm making my first foray into kielbasa-making this winter. I keep some bees and am building that into part of the business. Besides that, I too really enjoy reading about ancient history, Roman history in particular. I haven't had time to indulge in much of that lately though.

Jmattioli

Lifetime GotMead Patron
I have made cheese. It's rather cheep, and easy to do. I also only ever used vegetible rennet.

I recomend starting with making mozzarella untill you know what your doing. A mix up a gallon powered milk, and add a pint of heavy whipping cream, as an excellent replacement for fresh cow's milk.

Mozzarella doesn't require aging, so you get to enjoy it the same night. Most other cheeses need to be pressed, for several days to years.

I also make soap. I told my wife, it was a nice clean hobby:) Soap, if actaully fun to make from scratch, and like wine there's a bit of artistic expression allowed. Soap bars make excellent presents too.
Waiting on a procedure and detailed recipe for your 1 day mozzarella cheese
Joe

UncleBen

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 13, 2004
Hey joe, Just do a google search for {"mozzarella cheese" making }
Like most people today, I cheate and use a microwave to melt the cheese. Leeners has pretty nice instructions at http://www.leeners.com/mozzarella.html They have a nice kit too.
If you use store bought hogomoginized milk you have to add calcium chloride, or you'll get nasty rocotta looking glob.

I got my recipe here http://schmidling.netfirms.com/cres.htm#mozz

Take care, thanks again for all your help. That cyser I made still rocks. Happy Thanksgiveng.
Ben

UncleBen

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 13, 2004
Joe, I forgot to point out that I was using the recipe from that page with the instructions from Leeners.

Ben

ScottS

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 12, 2003
www.slezakfarms.com
Here is a quick mozzarella recipe that my wife made just yesterday. It is excellent, trust me. ;D We recommend that you get milk as close to the cow as possible. She used whole (unskimmed) raw Jersey milk, nice and creamy. I assume you can't get raw milk or real whole milk, so instead get whole milk from the grocery store. And NOT ultrapasteurized.

1. Dissolve 1 1/4 tsp citric acid powder (get this at a cheese supply company http://www.cheesemaking.com/) in 1/4 cup cold unchlorinated water. Add to 1 gal cool milk in a stainless steel or unreactive bowl.
2. Heat milk to 88 degrees F. Do this in a warm water bath in your sink, not on the stove. Precision is important, just a few degrees off can screw it up unrepairably.
3. Dissolve 1/4 tsp liquid rennet (http://www.cheesemaking.com/) in 1/4 cup cool unchlorinated water. Add to milk, stirring in an up and down motion for 1 minute.
4. Allow milk to set at 88 degrees until you reach a clean break, or until the curds solidify and the whey floats on top. If the whey is still milky white, wait a few more minutes. I waited about 10 minutes.
5. Scoop out curds with a slotted spoon and put in a colander. Make sure that you save the whey. You will need it to make the cheese stretch.
6. Heat whey to 155 degrees on your stovetop. I put a small handful of curds on a slotted spoon and gently lower them into the hot whey. In a few seconds (about 10-20) the cheese will start to melt, turning into a taffy like substance. Stretch the cheese like taffy until all the cottage cheese textured curds turn glossy and smooth. Form into a ball and set aside. Do theis with the rest of the curds. You may want to wear rubber gloves for this step. The cheese is very hot.
7. Make a brine solution in the ratio of 8 oz of kosher or canning salt to 1 quart of cold water. Soak the cheese in the brine for 10-30 minutes. I like 20 min. myself. Remove from the brine, pat the cheese dry and put it in the fridge. It is best eaten soon. And if your house is anything like mine, it doesn't last more than 1 day.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns