• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

It's a-mazing

Barrel Char Wood Products

WikdWaze

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 2, 2004
I've decided I'm no longer going to refer to the process of making mead by any other term than the correct "mazing". This may seem somewhat pretentious coming from somebody who hasn't mazed his first real batch yet, but I feel pretentious today, or is that pretty? ;D

Talon

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 8, 2004
Have you been watching West Side Story or Anger Management lately?

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I always call it brewing, just because when I started in this crazy hobby it was with wine. My friend's dad would come over and ask "What are you brewing up now?" We had a big wine crushing barrel that we used to stomp grapes, I wish I still had that!

What's funny is that the area of San Pedro, CA where we did this, there were a lot of Croatian and Italian immigrants who all made wine at the same time. That portion of San Pedro is still affectionately known as "vinegar hill" because of the way it smelled after the clean up of the barrels and the residual smell of the spent grapeskins and goop from the barrels. Also because any excess juice was used to make vinegar.

I lectured a group of Masters Candidates at USC last Friday about the San Pedro area, the Croatian population, and it's sociology within the San Pedro area. Winemaking is an important part of the tradition that is still practiced, but in a much diminished capacity from where it was in the 30's, 40's and 50's. The I told them that I still brewed at my home and they were all wide-eyed and like "ooh . . . aaaaah" It was cool!

Oskaar

WikdWaze

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 2, 2004
I promise, I won't think less of those who still call it brewing ;) I was just informing everyone of the decision I made, because I know y'all base your entire lives around my activities ;D ;D

In case anybody didn't get it, that was a joke.

Norskersword

NewBee
Registered Member
May 19, 2004
There are areas in North Dakota and Minnasota that are made up of scandinavian immigrants. My family is from North Dakota. I took a couple trips up there and there are whole towns purily made up of Norwegian-Americans. Everyone makes Lefse there...

Last time I went to a town centineal there they had a parade that was purily viking focused. Wikd would have loved it. ;)

ThistyViking

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 15, 2003
I have heard this term used several times... but have been unable to locate historical sources for suggesting it was used this way. anyone have a link?

CLossesest i have come is riddling, for getting yeast out of a carbonated bottle... i.e. champagne.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns