• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Calculation Formulae (SG, %ABV,...)

Barrel Char Wood Products

ScottS

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 12, 2003
www.slezakfarms.com
My rule of thumb is 1 lb of honey in 5 gals of water = 0.008 SG = 1% ABV fermented out. Simple, pretty close to reality, and much easier to remember than those equations. ;D

I have a question about that SG to ABV formula. If I plug in a SG of 1 (= water), I get a ABV% of .994%. What gives?

WikdWaze

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 2, 2004
My rule of thumb is 1 lb of honey in 5 gals of water = 0.008 SG = 1% ABV fermented out. Simple, pretty close to reality, and much easier to remember than those equations. ;D

I have a question about that SG to ABV formula. If I plug in a SG of 1 (= water), I get a ABV% of .994%. What gives?
I guess that's what happens when you use a simplified equation to get an approximation. On the "Mead Made complicated" site they give the actual equations to figure this out, those equations frighten and confuse me :-[

JamesP

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 3, 2003
Brisbane Australia
WikdWaze,

The brackets were left out because I assumed muiltiplication has precedence over addition ;)
Goes to show what assuming does.

Scott S,

Plugging in SG=1.000 says that your FG=1.000, and your mead isn't totally dry, but still has 0.944% Alc to ferment out.
When your FG=0.9927 you will have a totally dry mead. Again this is another assumption, because EC-1118 can probably ferment to FG=0.9927, but some of the other yeasts may not. However, we are talking about potential alcohol :-*

I'm sure you didn't start with OG=1.000 ;)

The URL I mentioned has more details, and there are 5 formulae listed there, each with slightly different results.

-=-=-=-

1lb in 5 gal making 1% ABV - that is an easy one to remember, except for the "metric" people :-/

that makes it (roughly) 0.4 Kg in 19 Litres per 1% ABV

jab

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 15, 2004
radiofreeomaha.net
I started writing a PHP application a while back that would allow me to track my brews. Life got in the way and I didn't get very far on it, however, this is the function I was using to figure alcohol content either by weight or vol.

Code:
<?

function figureAlcohol($ograv, $fgrav, $pmode = 'vol')
{
 $alc = (($ograv - $fgrav) * 105);

if ($pmode == 'vol')
 {
  $alc *= 1.25;
 }

return $alc;
}

?>

Hope that helps someone.

-jb

V

vinoblanco

I developed a little spreadsheet that helps you formulate simple recipes, if anybody's interested. Just PM me with your e-mail and I'll send it to you.

B

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns