• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

What was I thinking?

Barrel Char Wood Products

WikdWaze

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 2, 2004
Here's a question that ought to stir some interest. What is the most ill-conceived recipe, or most dismal failure you've had? Mine is almost certain to be my first one ;D

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
With out a doubt, Beef Jerkey flavoured mead. One of my friends makes honey cured beef jerkey which is incredible. We figured they were made for each other. . .

Remember, JUST SAY NO!

Oskaar

WikdWaze

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 2, 2004
With out a doubt, Beef Jerkey flavoured mead. One of my friends makes honey cured beef jerkey which is incredible. We figured they were made for each other. . .

Remember, JUST SAY NO!

Oskaar
Ok, curiosity got the best of me. How in the world did you add beef jerky to mead? I'll take your word for the results, I'm just trying to picture a pound of slim-jims sitting in the bottom of a carboy :D

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
We steeped the jerkey in a honey/water infusion like a tea and pressed it a little. The infusion actually tasted pretty good like a nice sweet sauce for a dessert.

Then we added it to the secondary and . . . voila! Beef jerkey mead! Much less spectacular than anticipated.

Oskaar

WikdWaze

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 2, 2004
Somehow, I just know I'll be posting something similar in a few months when I sample my braggot. "Sounded good on paper"

JoeM

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
if you're anticipating failure before you even start why not start with something a bit simpler and/or time tested and known to come out well?

WikdWaze

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 2, 2004
if you're anticipating failure before you even start why not start with something a bit simpler and/or time tested and known to come out well?
It's not that I'm anticipating failure so much as preparing myself for the worst. I have high hopes that my batch will turn out as planned, but a pessimist is never disappointed ;)

Besides, as I've posted elsewhere, trying a different recipe just to see if I like it is like drinking a Bud Light to see if I like beer. I "know" the flavor I'm after and that's what I want to acheive.

Norskersword

NewBee
Registered Member
May 19, 2004
Wkd, what are you waiting for? When are you planning on starting this mythological "first mead". ;D You don't know until you try! If you are in such a hurry to make a braggot, you should start a more simple mead at the same time! If you think about it, all you need for two is 1 more carboy. Then you can transfer between 3.

You can talk your woman into it. I had the same problem too. But I've figured out a way around it! My trick was, have her help you out and make her feel involved. Even start a melomel, let her choose the fruit, and tell her it's "hers". The only downside is that when it comes time to drink it you will have to ask first...

It's worth a try! Now my girlfriend says randomly "want to start a mead?" What beautiful words!

JoeM

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
haha i'm sorry i have to disagree with you that a plain traditional mead is like drinking bud light, lol...i just cant have any mead compaired to such a product. however i do have to commend you in not being persuaded from trying to achieve the product that you want...half the fun of homebrewing is being able to work toward making exactly what YOU want and not settling for what the industry provides for you.

WikdWaze

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 2, 2004
haha i'm sorry i have to disagree with you that a plain traditional mead is like drinking bud light, lol...i just cant have any mead compaired to such a product. however i do have to commend you in not being persuaded from trying to achieve the product that you want...half the fun of homebrewing is being able to work toward making exactly what YOU want and not settling for what the industry provides for you.

Heheh, I wasn't actually comparing straight mead to Bud Light, I would never be so insulting to mead. The point I was making is that trying one particular variety is not an accurate way to determine if you'll like another variety. I'm sure a straight mead can be a fine drink, it's just not the taste I'm after at this point.
Wkd, what are you waiting for? When are you planning on starting this mythological "first mead". You don't know until you try! If you are in such a hurry to make a braggot, you should start a more simple mead at the same time! If you think about it, all you need for two is 1 more carboy. Then you can transfer between 3.

You can talk your woman into it. I had the same problem too. But I've figured out a way around it! My trick was, have her help you out and make her feel involved. Even start a melomel, let her choose the fruit, and tell her it's "hers". The only downside is that when it comes time to drink it you will have to ask first...
I'm going to start as soon as our finances recover from the recent, minor setback.

And believe me, making Mrs. Wikd feel involved is like making a shark feel hungry ;D As for helping out, I'm not so sure about that.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns