• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Recipe Check Please

Barrel Char Wood Products

scottlind

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 14, 2004
i have this recipe from the book "making mead" by bryan acton and peter duncan

this recipe is on page 31 and if i were to make a six gallon batch it would multiply out to this

18 ponds honey
1 1/2 ounces of tartaric acid
3 ounces of malic acid
1/3 ounce of tannin
nutrients
sauternes yeast

now i'm a rookie but this seems to be way over kill on the acid. do you old pros agree with me or the recipe?

how would you alter the acid amount if you even would?

thanks
scott

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
Idahoskunk said:
i have this recipe form the book "making mead" by bryan acton and peter duncan

this recipe is on page 31 and if i were to make a six gallon batch it would multiply out to this

18 ponds honey
1 1/2 ounces of tartaric acid
3 ounces of malic acid
1/3 ounce of tannin
nutrients
sauternes yeast

now i'm a rookie but this seems to be way over kill on the acid. do you old pros agree with me or the recipe?

how would you alter the acid amount if you even would?

It's a bit much, and another problem is the recommendation to add the acid at the start of the fermentation. That can easily crash the fermentation.

Acton & Duncan's book _Making Mead_ is an old one, published in 1965. At the time what they were suggesting was ahead of the pack, but that was 40 years ago.

scottlind

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 14, 2004
mcfeeley, thank you

another question, i did make that recipe and it did crash!

it started with sg1.130 and stopped cold at 1.080

so i made a starter of 1118 and shook the hell out of it and pitched

nothing, nada, dead for a week...

i ordered an acid ph tester from leeners to see what the deal is, but as you said i think we already know.

should i throw it away or would it be salvageable, any suggestions for a recovery?

another lesson learned :-[

thanks agin!

Talon

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 8, 2004
To neutralize too much acid, you have to introduce a base solution of Calcium Carbonate and a sample of your must. However if you do that, do it in small amounts or you'll have a very energetic reaction.

Talon.

scottlind

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 14, 2004
what ph should i be looking for in a straight semi sweet mead? is there a number i should be shooting for or a range to stay in.

thank you!

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Add your K-carbonate to get into the 3.5 - 4.2 range and you'll be fine.

As was suggested above make sure do dose it slowly thought because you will get a very "energetic" recation if you add it all at once.

Coax it along like you would a fine Cuban cigar!

Oskaar

scottlind

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 14, 2004
how did you know i smoke cigars????

the force must run strong in this oskaar dude ???

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I recognize a fellow hedonist when I see one! ;D

We'll have to compare notes on our favorite sticks sometime!

cheers,

Oskaar

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns