View Full Version : Separation anxiety

01-04-2005, 11:38 PM
So I havenít seen my mead in a good two weeks due to the holidays (been at parentsí place), and tomorrow I finally get to check on my yeasties again :)

Anyone else have problems leaving a carboyís side for more than an hour or two at a time?

I think next break Iím going to set a webcam up just so I can watch the bubbling.

01-04-2005, 11:55 PM
I check my babies every morning and every night, and when I go out to feed the dog, turn on the sprinklers, check the mail, go to the store, talk to the neighbors . . . hmmmm . . . that's about once an hour! ;)

01-05-2005, 02:45 AM
Ive found that the more I watch , the longer it seems to take. For myself the most exciting feeling is to come home from being gone a few days and seeing the changes. my first batch seemed to have taken an imeasurable amount of time, i would sit impatiently want to sip at it every 15 mintues , the second batch not quite so long, and now on my third batch the weeks seem shorter and the mead is ready before I know it. I can only hope the time grows shorter with every batch.

01-05-2005, 02:53 AM
I used to be like Oskaar but when I relocated the carboys to a table in the basement, I find I only check them a couple of times each evening as I am too tired to stumble downstairs in the morning before work.

01-05-2005, 09:28 AM
I finally got over the separation anxiety about 6 months ago. I guess I found that I was making so much mead that I didn't feel the need to go stare at the carboys every day. I still go down there about every week with my 2yo son and have him name the contents of carboys for me. ;D

01-05-2005, 09:47 AM
Oh, I've been doing mead for 2 years now and I still have yet to get over the seperation anxiety. Being at work is too much for me to be away from my carboys...

I even wistfully look at the empties i have and want to turn them into full and bubbling carboys...

01-05-2005, 05:57 PM
Made it back! (despite some pretty crazy snow)

My lil yeasties are still bubbling away, although i do think they missed me a bit.

Being at work is too much for me to be away from my carboys...

I think the solution to that is clear. just need to find a nice out of sight corner at work :D

01-05-2005, 07:47 PM
Being at work is too much for me to be away from my carboys...

You need to set up a Web Cam, so you can view them from work ;D
( and let others check out how they are going, too)

01-06-2005, 09:23 AM
Hey! Now you're on to something here... I can sneak in a 1 gallon and hide it in the overhead cabinet and for the rest I can definately hook up a web cam... Not a problem... WOOT! Great ideas guys!