• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Crystals in Mead?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Cartierusm

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 31, 2004
www.smokeproductions.com
Howdy, I made a batch of semi-sweet mead with lime. I filtered it through a Buon Vino Fine filter. I did not go through the sterile filter. I've had some a while after it was bottled and it had a very slight fermentation, this was due to not running the mead through the sterile filter. It has now been 2 months of aging. Now I went to give some to a friend tonight and noticed crystals on the bottom. See the pic, hope it's not too big. Anyway, are these sugar crystals or bacteria? They are individual it's not one solid clump. Thanks

P.S. I opened one of the bottles and it didn't smell bad, I didn't try it, will wait until I have some responses.

jab

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 15, 2004
radiofreeomaha.net
Heh, well I don't have an answer for you but I just wanted to state that that is a pretty cool picture. I can't imagine what they would be. I suppose sugar could be the culprit. Did you prime before you bottled? Can you give us the recipe you used? That may help in determining the cause.

Cartierusm

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 31, 2004
www.smokeproductions.com
No priming, it wasn't supposed to be carbonated. Recipe is 15 lbs. raw grade A orange blossom, irish moss, lime juice, Beverage People Mead Nutrient, Lavin 71b Yeast, tartaric acid, malic acid

hedgehog

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 8, 2005
I am definately not a micro-biologist nor am I am the most knowledgable about mead, so this is just another average person's thoughts.
two possible things come to mind for me.. one is of course sugar(s), because the crystals are extremely well ordered much like snowflakes (with suggests to me that its not a bacteria/fungi, but I am not a microbiologist after all, so it doesn't mean it isn't)..
You mention that the filter was not sterile, but was the filter clean but not sterile(ie new) or not sterile as in it had wine or something run through it before and might have had some parts left in?? (not a criticism, just a question) You mention some fermenting going on after bottling, so it a chance that it picked up some sugar/stuff/tannins/proteins when being filtered, and the crystals are some kinds of precipitate/salt falling out??
Personally I would wonder about the lime juice having something to do with this, since the many times I have used lime juice in cooking, the lime juice does wierd things to my other ingrediants..(makes hazes, etc..)
Sorry that is not too much help, just a few things to think about while you are waiting for the real experts around here to respond.. kinda curious to know what those things are...

JamesP

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 3, 2003
Brisbane Australia
In wine, excess tartaric acid settles out as crystals (especially in cool temperatures).

You don't normally get them in mead (because tartaric acid isn't in most mead ingredients).

Tartaric crystals aren't bad for you, they just look bad. The remedy is to Rack off the crystals - it is good to rack off the crystals for white wine because it reduces the acidity of the wine.

ARE THESE TARTARIC ACID CRYSTALS??
I don't know, but probably, since you added tartaric acid.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I second what James said. Looks like acid chrystalization to me.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Cartierusm

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 31, 2004
www.smokeproductions.com
Thanks for all the replies. To answer a couple of hedges questions. I don't reuse filters all the filters are brand new, but the buon vino filters are called corse, fine and sterile this relates to the microns in which it filters not the condition state of the fitler.

JoeM

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
Looks like acid crystals to me. Bacteria wouldnt form structures like that. How big was your batch? I'm just curious as to how many gallons of water your 15 lbs of honey was dissolved in.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns