PDA

View Full Version : Desert Island

Oskaar
02-08-2005, 11:15 PM
OK,

You're stranded on a Desert Island, what are the three albums that you would have to have while you were there?

We'll get to movies, books and items in the next couple of posts.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Pewter_of_Deodar
02-09-2005, 12:00 PM
1. InnaGoddaDivida by Iron Butterfly (a relatively unknown but true classic that anyone who claims to be into Rock and Roll should have listened to several times)

2. Chicago's Greatest Hits - Chicago (a song for every mood with a nice mixture of brass, guitars, piano, and lyrics)

3. One of the old Firestone Christmas albums (since I am limited to three and Christmas is bound to come along)

Aggie4You
02-09-2005, 12:47 PM
1. InnaGoddaDivida by Iron Butterfly (a relatively unknown but true classic that anyone who claims to be into Rock and Roll should have listened to several times)

You forgot to mention that it contains what must be the greatest drum solo of all time. :)

Since I'm a bass head, my list is a bit different...

1.) Snoop Dogg - Doggystyle
2.) Various Artists - Mega Bass
3.) is a toss up
3a) DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prine - And in this Corner
or
3b) Tone Loc - Loc-ed after dark

Bet you woulnd't have guessed that out of a 20-something white male... :)

Dan McFeeley
02-09-2005, 01:02 PM
Only three? ;D

Chieftains, Water from the Well

Ossian, Dove Across the Water

Shaun Davey, The Pilgrim

jab
02-09-2005, 01:09 PM
Hmmm...

1. The Orb - The Orb's Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld
2. Laibach - Anthems
3. Einsturzende Neubaten - Ende Neu

Is it cheating that #2 is a double album? If so I would take disc 2 then.

Oskaar
02-09-2005, 01:59 PM
Nah, it's all good! Album is the measure so if it's a double or triple album go for it.

Let's see:

1. Deep Purple - Made in Japan (best live Rock and Roll show I've ever seen, and I've seen most of them)

2. Oliver Dragojevic - Trag u Beskraju (Dalmatian ballad singer)

3. Beethoven's Symphony Number Nine - Wilhelm Furtwangler, Conductor (Nothing else like it on earth)

Cheers,

Oskaar

Ranna
02-09-2005, 02:35 PM
Hmmm.. I like this topic :o)

1. Eric Whitacre - The Complete A Cappella Works (1991-2001) BYU Singers
2. Mozart - Requiem (New completion by Robert Levin, conducted by Martin Pearlman with the Boston Baroque)
3a. Herbie Hancock - Head Hunters
or
3b. Beethoven - Symphony No. 9 (I have the Chicago Symphony Orchestray conducted by George Solti I think..)

Oskaar
02-09-2005, 06:05 PM
I have the Chicago Symphony version which is quite nice also. It's mono but it is incredible. I also have the Berlin Philharmonic, the Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra, and the Vienna Philharmonic versions, which are all great featuring conductors like Maazel, Van Karajan, Masur and Gardiner.

You should get the Wilhelm Furtwangler version, it's really an experience.

Cheers,

Oskaar

CosmicCharlie
02-09-2005, 06:20 PM
1. Sgt. Peppers
2. hmmm...I only have three? Beatles White Album? Let it Be? I'll go with Abbey Road.
3. Of course, any Grateful Dead live recording.

Ranna
02-09-2005, 06:22 PM
I bet my voice teacher (the opera director) has a copy, I'll see if I can check it out.

Oskaar
02-09-2005, 08:00 PM
Hey Cosmic!

Terrapin from the Filmore East Show?? One of my favorites, and that whole show from the Great American Music Hall (1974) was awesome since I got to see it live!

Oskaar

Berg
02-09-2005, 08:23 PM
That Filmore East is a good choice Oskaar. If the scribblings on my cd's are correct it took up 4 cd's!!

1. The Silver Jews - Starlite Walker

2. Robert Johnson - Complete Recordings!!

3. Jimi Hendrix - Live at Winterland

Tsuchi
02-09-2005, 09:49 PM
MMM three eh?

The Wyrd Sisters, Inside the Dreaming
Great Big Sea, Rant and Roar
Joni Mitchell, Clouds OR a "Best of" if thats an option.

Tricky call though... so many to choose from.

David Baldwin
02-10-2005, 10:57 AM
1. Handel's Messiah
2. Soundtrack to Phantom of the Opera
3. Owain Phyfe - "Of Poets, Bards, and Singers of Song"

"Here's a health to the company, and one to my lass. Let us drink and be merry - all out of one glass. Let us drink and be merry, all grief to refrain. For we may or might never all meet here again."

CosmicCharlie
02-10-2005, 12:37 PM
'74...that was a good year!

Pewter_of_Deodar
02-10-2005, 01:52 PM
I graduated from high school in '74....

Seems like forever ago...

beeboy
02-10-2005, 07:55 PM
That's a hard one, I'm listing some of the musc that was there when changes were made in how I looked at the world ;D. 1) Miles Davis, Live Evil, 2) Rolling Stones, Get Your Ya Ya's, and 3) Fleetwood Mac, Mistery to Me (sex, drugs and rock and roll but not in that order) If you want to go for more then I would choose something real different from Savoy Brown and Bloodwyn Pig. Life is Short, Drink, Laugh and Love
Beeboy

beeboy
02-10-2005, 08:04 PM
Forgot one, anything recorded by Jimi Hendrix, saw him three times, once at the Filmore East when the Band of Gypsys played there on New Years eve. Where did the time go ??? Beeboy

randy
02-10-2005, 11:41 PM
if i were stranded n a desert island, I don't care what albums i would have with me,

I doubt i would have a record player or electricity to run it...

Oskaar
02-11-2005, 12:54 AM
Randy,

Most of us wouldn't ever get stranded on a desert Island period. It isn't a test of AC/DC theory or real-world situations, but a simple way to see what people who post here find entertaining in the way of music.

There will be more coming up soon, I hope you will play along with us.

Cheers,

Oskaar

GntlKnght
02-11-2005, 01:32 PM
Well, I was recently "stranded" on an 11 hour flight, so this topic seems strangely familiar. The CDs I took with me were:

Billy Joels - Greatest Hits
Meat Loaf - Bat out of Hell II
Brother - either Exit to Screechville or Black Stone Tramp (love 'em both and would have a hard time choosing)

(even tho, you didn't ask) If I could choose the next three, they would be:
Wilhelm Tell Overture
Phantom of the Opera
Brother - (the other one that you wouldn't let me bring in my first 3 choices!)

Dan McFeeley
02-11-2005, 01:47 PM
"Here's a health to the company, and one to my lass. Let us drink and be merry - all out of one glass. Let us drink and be merry, all grief to refrain. For we may or might never all meet here again."

Good song. Kevin Conneff does a nice presentation on "A Chieftains Celebration." Here's a URL for the full version with music notes: http://www.8notes.com/scores/4893.asp?ftype=midi

Oskaar
02-11-2005, 02:46 PM
The Chieftans - Long Black Veil - Great Album

I'd also hide one called the Concert for Sarajevo. It's a live recording with Pavoratti, Delores O'Reirdan, Meatloaf, and a host of others. Great stuff.

CosmicCharlie
02-23-2005, 06:45 PM
I might have to change my answer depending on what all grows on the island.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00005AQEQ.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

lbaker
02-25-2005, 09:21 AM
Let see...

<blockquote>1) <a href="http://www.emeraldrose.com/fifthcd.htm">Songs for the Night Sky</a>, by Emerald Rose. (IMO one of the best celtic/folk/pagan/rock albums ever made. World Wedding is absolutely fantastic, with Urania Sings coming in a close second!
2) "Boston", by Boston
3) "You can Tune a Piano but you can't Tuna Fish", by REO Speedwagon!

and should one of those not be available, my backup would have to be an album that was out in the late 70's called "Various Redneck Mothers". It constained some real good redneck beer (or mead) drinking music!</blockquote>

Lyle Baker
A Medieval Redneck in Texas
Scarborough Faire, April 9th to May 30th, 2005

CheshireCat
02-25-2005, 03:40 PM
1. Seven Nations - The Factory
2. The Wicker Man soundtrack
3. Dave Matthews Band - Under the Table and Dreaming

Those are my three, it was hard choosing, it was tough trying to decide between my number 3 choice and Radiohead's "Kid A" album. ;)

Erik
02-28-2005, 01:40 AM
I see very little music I've ever heard of, less I've actually heard... -_-;

1. Waking the Fallen ~ Avenged Sevenfold
2. Deftones ~ Around the Fur
3. Nightwish ~ Once

(Not in preferential order, Deftones, then Nightwish then AX7)

Val
03-10-2005, 06:31 PM
1. Songs you know by heart - Jimmy Buffet
2. Book of Secrets - Loreena McKennitt
3. American Idiot - Greenday

Suzy_Q_Brewmistres
03-11-2005, 12:42 AM
Dan....

What a fun site... found several songs that we sing at our Ren Faire....
thanks..

:-* Suzy Q

ancjr
03-11-2005, 04:42 AM
Could I have a set of speakers, a preamp, amplifier and electric generator that ran on sea water as well? ;)

Ween - The Mollusk
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Tom Waits - Rain Dogs

Oskaar
03-11-2005, 12:43 PM
It's your fantasy! GFI (Go For It)!