• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Which Wyeast liquid yeast?

Barrel Char Wood Products

PJero

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 24, 2005
Milano - Italy
Hello! I need to chose a liquid yeast for the my next try... Wyeast's liquid yeast for beer making are the only one I can easily get. Can someone help me in chosing the right yeast?

Thank you!

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
You should post your exact recipe before you decide which yeast to use.

Also, I think a good percentage of the folks here prefer dry packaged yeast to the liquid yeasts, at least, for me that's true.

Oskaar

PJero

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 24, 2005
Milano - Italy
I'd like to use a basic recipe... I'd like to try liquid yeast because I can find it really easy... here I can get only dry yeast for homebrew... (only 5-6%)

GntlKnght

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
I have tried both the dry mead and sweet mead yeasts from Wyeast. I have not tried any others from Wyeast.

The dry yeast worked out nicely, but I made a starter with it first. The sweet yeast never did much and I had to pitch a dry yeast later. I used the sweet yeast by just adding it directly into the must.

I only use the dry yeasts now (Pasteur Champagne) because:
  • they are easy for me to get
  • easy to store
  • I have had better luck with them
  • after proper rehydration there are more yeastie-beasties

If you decide to use the Wyeast, I strongly recommend you start a day or two early and make a good starter.
Good luck and have fun!

scottlind

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 14, 2004
i used this for this and it seems to be working great, i'll tell you more in a year!

Cyser 6 lb 5 gal batch

4 gallons apple cider (sg 1.055)
1 gallon water (sg 1.042)
6 lbs clover honey + or - to 1.085
3 tsp pectic enzyme
Yeast - Wyeast 3184XL

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns