• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Hello from Israel

Barrel Char Wood Products

Miriam

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Feb 2, 2005
Saying hello and by way of introduction...I've been making meads for a couple of years, but still consider myself a newbie. So far the production has been: lavender and rosemary metheglin, a plain mead with hops, the Hangover Cyser recipe, Joe's Ancient Orange Melomel, a cherry melomel, a Lapsong Souchong experimental metheglin, a citrus blossom metheglin, a maple/vanilla metheglin, and (I know you're going to like this) a prune melomel scented with cloves. Upcoming are a melomel based on dried apricots and since strawberries are in season now, both a strawberry wine and a melomel. All of those are in one-gallon carboys; I'm just beginning to feel confident with bigger quantities, but the 2-gallon carboys are busy with wines right now.

I don't expect to contribute much wisdom till I become wiser myself, but have some experience making Tej under the guidance of an Ethiopian friend and will be sharing that soon.

All the best,

Miriam

CosmicCharlie

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 15, 2004
Miriam said:
I don't expect to contribute much wisdom till I become wiser myself, but have some experience making Tej under the guidance of an Ethiopian friend and will be sharing that soon.

Welcome - and feel free to ask questions. I learn a lot from the questions other people post. And please do share the Tej recipe!

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
CosmicCharlie said:
Welcome - and feel free to ask questions. I learn a lot from the questions other people post. And please do share the Tej recipe!

Likewise -- a public welcome to the boards!

I should add that Miriam has more than just a recipe to share, she also has a lot of good info on traditional methods in making Tej.

We've had some good back channel conversations on mead and Judaism, and Miriam has been very helpful in adding corrective background to info I've posted from Roger Morse's writings in the past. I have a much better understanding of Judaism and mead, thanks to Miriam.

Miriam

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Feb 2, 2005
Thank you all for your warm welcome. I've been a guest lurker here for a long time, and now look forward to being part of the GotMead community. The Tej article will hopefully be appearing soon; my computer and Vicky's have apparently had a misunderstanding but will be exchanging that electronic handshake over the next few days.

And to Vicky, an accolade for this awesome site and forum.

Miriam

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Interesting tag line Miriam,

That which does not kill, fattens! LOL

Nice avatar. I'm not familiar with that particular work, but it sure reminds me of a Gaugin, Renoir, Manet, Cezanne, etc.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Miriam

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Feb 2, 2005
Oskaar, it is a Toulouse Lautrec entitled "Hangover". I thought it funny to put that tag under the picture (as I am one of those always fighting the Battle of the Bulge).

That was a good translation: I couldn't think of one that wouldn't be too wordy.

Miriam

Geoffrey Johnson

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 29, 2005
So far the production has been: lavender and rosemary metheglin...

Miriam, I was curious whether or not you would like to post the recipe you used? I was thinking about trying a rosemary metheglin, seeing as how I finally got a rosemary bush to last the winter, and was curious how you went about creating yours, and how it turned out.

Thanks ahead of time!

Geoffrey

Miriam

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Feb 2, 2005
Goeffrey,

I'll put the recipe in the Recipe section.

See you there!

Miriam

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns