PDA

View Full Version : basic bragot

smilingwyvern
03-08-2005, 01:09 AM
What are the basic ingerdience for a bragot? And what is the process for such? All I want is the basics so I can make my own with out messing up good honey on experiments.

JoeM
03-08-2005, 07:08 AM
The most basic braggot would simply be about 5 lbs of honey and 3 lbs of light DME in about 5 gallons total volume, fermented with your favorite ale yeast. However I would highly suggest the addition of about half a lb of crystal malt and one quarter to one half oz of your favorite bittering hops. For example:

lb Crystal malt
3 lbs light DME
5 lbs Honey (I like clover)
- oz hops (I like cascade or cluster)
Ale yeast (I like London ale)
5 oz corn sugar to prime at bottling

You would bring 2-5 gallons of water to about 150 degrees and steep the grains in a grain sock. I crush the grain myself with a rolling pin for freshness but you can buy them pre-crushed. Remove the grain after 30 min and bring the wort to a boil. Add your DME and hops and boil for 60 min.

Remove from the heat and stir in the honey. Add the wort/must to your fermenter, bring it to 5 gallons final volume, allow it to cool completely, and pitch your yeast. I will usually rack once at about 6 weeks, allow it to clear completely, and bottle it with 5 oz of corn sugar for carbonation.

I find that its good after 6 months of ageing but benefits from a year. I like to leave all my meads for 12 months before I touch them because I like them to come to their full potential before I start consuming them.

JoeM
03-08-2005, 07:11 AM
P.S. I love braggot, and in my opinion a well constructed braggot can be just amazing. If the elements are balanced properly i feel like it brings the best qualities of beer and the best qualities of mead together, and sometimes can be better then either of its parents.

Dan McFeeley
03-08-2005, 08:20 AM
Here's a link to a few good recipes from the Bees Lees II:

http://www.gotmead.com/mead-recipes/bees-lees-ii-6.shtml

CosmicCharlie
03-08-2005, 02:10 PM
I might dabble with a braggot one day. I've read other posts which mention a creamy head - i would think head retention would be difficult with a braggot. Would the addition of some wheat be called for?

JoeM
03-08-2005, 06:51 PM
My braggots tend to hold a nice head. I like to add maybe half a lb of munich malt for some extra body, this probably helps too.

smilingwyvern
03-08-2005, 07:32 PM
hanks for the help. Ive been wanting to start a meadery at some time. And before I did that I wanted to get a few recipes and try them before I decided to add them to the list of products i would produce. After I get back from deployment I'm going to start making small batches for "testing reasons". ;)

JoeM
03-08-2005, 09:13 PM
If your braggot is a big seller will i get royalties? ;D

smilingwyvern
03-08-2005, 09:44 PM
If your braggot is a big seller will i get royalties? ;D

I could name the reipe after you and send you a supply from every batch. 8)

Lagerman64
04-04-2005, 12:42 PM
I tend to avoid hops when making braggots, I hate to have them confused with beer. I will however be using heather in my next one ;).

Oskaar
04-04-2005, 03:42 PM
Uh oh! Heather braggot!

Where's Joe Mattioli? Joe loves English Mead and is always in search of excellent Heather Honey. I think he would be conflicted about Heather Braggot though since he thought his braggot made with Orange Blossom Honey was sissified because it had a floral aroma to it.

I'll alert the media and wait for Joe to weigh in here! LOL

Cheers,

Oskaar

Jmattioli
04-04-2005, 10:33 PM
I tend to avoid hops when making braggots, I hate to have them confused with beer. I will however be using heather in my next one ;).

Now that would be my kind of braggot. A real man's strong tasteing brew. ;D
No sissified stuff! Heather is strong.
Joe

ancjr
04-05-2005, 02:22 AM
I have a friend wanting to make a heather ale as well. Can anyone (Oskaar!!!) attempt to describe is flavor? :)

Gonzo
04-05-2005, 08:44 AM
You would bring 2-5 gallons of water to about 150 degrees and steep the grains in a grain sock. I crush the grain myself with a rolling pin for freshness but you can buy them pre-crushed.

How much grain?

Oskaar
04-05-2005, 01:02 PM
Sadly, I cannot describe heather ale, braggot or mead. I can however describe a former girlfriend named Heather. . .

ancjr
04-05-2005, 06:15 PM
I have a former Heather as well. So, I'll assume it's more bitter than hops. ;)

jk Heather!!!

JoeM
04-05-2005, 08:09 PM
Between half a pound and a pound of specialty grain on top of 3 lbs of DME for a 5 gallon batch...

Gonzo
04-05-2005, 10:21 PM
Explain specialty grain.

Oskaar
04-06-2005, 12:46 AM
http://www.bev-art.com/Specialty_Grains_Usage.html

Lagerman64
04-06-2005, 01:24 AM
Well as far as grains go, the plan is to mash 14# Pale malt, 8# Munich and 5# Cara-Pils malt. I'm hoping to make up most of the boil volume, plus the honey, with the runoff. Stop the sparge around 1.004, top off with water if I have too. 24 gallon volume. :)

Oskaar
04-06-2005, 01:54 AM
Hey Lager,

From your setup I'd guess you're using a stainless lauter tun. Are you using a three vessel system by chance?

I have one of those PBS three 20 gallon stainless vessel systems with the drilled false bottom in the lauter tun. I've used it with and without the false bottom. I haven't done an all grain batch in a long time (mid-nineties?) but I found I was getting clear filtrate pumped into the boiling vessel just using a grain bed and letting it filter itself. Have you done this/gotten similar results?

Cheers,

Oskaar

Lagerman64
04-06-2005, 02:16 AM
I currently use rubbermade insulated coolers with false bottoms as mash tuns, I have three which gives me a total mash capacity of 81#. I use a gravity feed system of my own design, I am contemplating switching over to pumps. ;)

Gonzo
06-08-2005, 11:42 PM
I made this tonight.
Could it be argued that this is a honey beer? Is there a difference?

JoeM
06-09-2005, 12:22 AM
Did you use the recipe above? Technically this is a braggot and not a honey ale as more than 50% of its fermentables are from honey.

Gonzo
06-09-2005, 09:02 AM
Yup, exactly the way it is printed.
However when I opened the yeast tube beaker thing, it foamed out the cap as I broke the seal. Was kind of messy but I got almost all of the contents into the pail.

z

JoeM
06-09-2005, 11:54 AM
Definitely let us know how it goes. Im curious to see how my recipe works out for someone else. It sounds from your description of the container like you used a white labs yeast culture, is that correct? What type of yeast was it? What type and amount of hops did you use?

Gonzo
06-09-2005, 06:42 PM
Yup, white labs London ale yeast.
I used 1/2oz. Cascade hopps.
Smelled pretty good....pitched the juice this morning. Ariated it this afternoon. There better be some perculating tomorrow morn or I'll be worried.

gonz

JoeM
06-09-2005, 07:35 PM
The white labs london ale yeast is an excellent yeast strain. I've had excellent results with it in braggots, porters, and ESBs.

Gonzo
06-11-2005, 02:48 AM
She's cookin' ;)

Gonzo
06-18-2005, 04:07 PM
Gave her a good swish today for good measure. It smells really really good guys :P

Lagerman64
07-02-2005, 03:46 AM
White Labs Dry English Ale (WLP002) is a strong fermenter, I plan on using it in my Braggot. :)

Gonzo
10-30-2005, 01:52 PM
I bottled this lastnight, gimmie a week and I'll let you know how she kicks me.
Joe do you recall your SG & FG?
My FG was 1.01 but i don't think i logged my SG at all. :(
can i post pictures here?

This stuff is pretty!
Gonzo

JoeM
10-30-2005, 02:19 PM
Yeah its a beautiful amber color. Sorry i dont have SG & FG measurments for you though.

Gonzo
10-31-2005, 07:11 PM
Should this be treated as a wine or a brew in terms of ageing in the bottle?

gonz

JoeM
10-31-2005, 07:32 PM
Because more than 50% of its fermentable come from honey, I find that it takes a good 10-12 months for the flavors to round out properly.

cpcwillcutyou
11-01-2005, 10:58 AM
What is DME?

Angus
11-01-2005, 12:06 PM
Dehydrated (or Dried) Malt Extract

JoeM
07-27-2006, 10:12 PM
Hey Gonzo,

I was just wondering how this batch came out and if you liked my basic braggot recipe or not.

GrantLee63
07-29-2006, 10:11 PM
Hey JoeM,

I'm going to be making your recipe as soon as my brew kettle arrives later this week. I'm just curious about your recommended aging time:

I find that its good after 6 months of ageing but benefits from a year. I like to leave all my meads for 12 months before I touch them because I like them to come to their full potential before I start consuming them.

Do you recommend bottle aging or bulk aging for 6 - 12 months? This will be my first braggot, and your basic recipe sounds appealing.

Thanks in advance for your help!

- GL63

JoeM
07-30-2006, 12:43 AM
Since I carbonate my braggots by priming I recommend 6-12 months of bottle aging rather then bulk aging. The reason being that if you bulk age too long you risk not being able to carbonate naturally. Generally I rack my braggots after 2-3 weeks, bottle after an additional 2-3 weeks, and then age about 12 months.

GrantLee63
07-30-2006, 06:08 AM
Thanks JoeM ..... like I said, I plan on making your Basic Braggot as soon as my brew pot arrives. I'll keep you - and everyone else - updated via the Brew Log.

- GL63

JoeM
07-30-2006, 11:55 AM
Just as an update since this post started early last year Ive made a few batches of this basic braggot with slight variations. The original recipe calls for - of an ounce of hops but Ive had the best results using the full oz. Not to complicate the basic recipe but, it also depends on the alpha acid content of the hops that youre using and of course how much you like hops. Also, in the original versions I always used a medium crystal malt but later experimented with some darker roasts (80L-120L) with excellent results.

GrantLee63
07-30-2006, 01:52 PM
Sounds good JoeM .... I'll give a darker roast crystal malt a try in the batch I make. I appreciate your help :)

- GL63

GrantLee63
08-07-2006, 09:32 PM
OK .... so I made JoeM's Basic Braggot recipe Sunday afternoon - my first braggot ! Anyway, I opted to make a 6 gallon batch and adjusted my ingredients accordingly:

10 ounces of 120L Crystal Malt
3.3 pounds of light DME
6 pounds clover honey (I used Gordon Foods brand)
3/4 ounce of Cluster Hops (pelleted)
White Labs Dry English Ale Yeast (WLP002)

The only problem is that I FORGOT to take an opening SG ???. I did however, take a reading tonight - approximately 24 hours after pitching my yeast = 1.050 - Does this sound right? For those of you who have made this recipe, what was your OG?

Again, this was my first braggot, and I never made beer before. WOW! What a mess I came home to in my basement with spew everywhere and the airlock blown off !!! I guess about 4" of headspace is NOT ENOUGH for a 6 gallon batch of braggot in a 6 1/2 gallon carboy! Chalk it up to experience ...

In any event, in light of my screw-up in not getting an immediate OG, what will the approximate AVB of this braggot be when its finished? Also, I just want to make sure I understand correctly that I should keep it in the primary for 6 weeks before racking to a secondary and allow it to clear? Correct?

Thanks Again! - GL63

JoeM
08-08-2006, 07:04 AM
In my original post of this recipe I did say to leave it in primary for 6 weeks, but having made this braggot many times since the original post I would say now that 6 weeks is probably a bit longer than necessary. Basically you should let the braggot talk to you and leave it in primary as long as you need to in order for it to drop clear. Personally I like slightly longer primaries because I like to rack only once in order to avoid volume losses and oxidation/contamination from multiple rackings, and so I like it to drop completely clear before the first rack.

And yes, braggots and beers tend to foam a lot and ferment a bit more violently then meads and a bit more headspace is necessary. Ive even had a few 5 gallon batches blow the top off a 6.5 gallon carboy, never mind the 6 gallon batches which threatened to destroy the house! Thats why some of my friends prefer the 7 gallon buckets, personally I just like using glass rather than plastic.

GrantLee63
08-14-2006, 05:30 AM
I have absolutely ZERO experience with making beer, and like I said before, this is my first braggot, and this is probably a stupid question .... But WAIT ! This is GotMead.Com and there is no such thing as a stupid question !!!

The 6 gallon batch I made is starting to clear and fermentation has dropped down to about 6 bubbles per minute. Once it clears completely - or almost clears completely - I plan on racking it one time. I'll probably let it bulk age a few weeks before priming and bottling in Grolsch bottles.

So here is my question ..... How long can I keep braggot in the bottle before refrigeration will be needed, or is it like mead and / or wine where celler aging is OK? My son-in-law who does brew beer, said he never keeps his bottled beer more than a month before he refrigerates it.

Finding refrigerator space for about 48 Grolsch bottles is going to be a challenge, so please advise !

Thanks in advance - GL63

JoeM
08-14-2006, 10:29 AM
I always cellar my braggots for a year before drinking them and never refrigerate until i'm ready to serve. In fact I dont refrigerate my beers either and I've never had a problem.