• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

basic bragot

Barrel Char Wood Products
S

smilingwyvern

What are the basic ingerdience for a bragot? And what is the process for such? All I want is the basics so I can make my own with out messing up good honey on experiments.

JoeM

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
The most basic braggot would simply be about 5 lbs of honey and 3 lbs of light DME in about 5 gallons total volume, fermented with your favorite ale yeast. However I would highly suggest the addition of about half a lb of crystal malt and one quarter to one half oz of your favorite bittering hops. For example:

½ lb Crystal malt
3 lbs light DME
5 lbs Honey (I like clover)
¼ - ½ oz hops (I like cascade or cluster)
Ale yeast (I like London ale)
5 oz corn sugar to prime at bottling

You would bring 2-5 gallons of water to about 150 degrees and steep the grains in a grain sock. I crush the grain myself with a rolling pin for freshness but you can buy them pre-crushed. Remove the grain after 30 min and bring the wort to a boil. Add your DME and hops and boil for 60 min.

Remove from the heat and stir in the honey. Add the wort/must to your fermenter, bring it to 5 gallons final volume, allow it to cool completely, and pitch your yeast. I will usually rack once at about 6 weeks, allow it to clear completely, and bottle it with 5 oz of corn sugar for carbonation.

I find that it’s good after 6 months of ageing but benefits from a year. I like to leave all my meads for 12 months before I touch them because I like them to come to their full potential before I start consuming them.

JoeM

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
P.S. I love braggot, and in my opinion a well constructed braggot can be just amazing. If the elements are balanced properly i feel like it brings the best qualities of beer and the best qualities of mead together, and sometimes can be better then either of its parents.

CosmicCharlie

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 15, 2004
I might dabble with a braggot one day. I've read other posts which mention a creamy head - i would think head retention would be difficult with a braggot. Would the addition of some wheat be called for?

JoeM

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
My braggots tend to hold a nice head. I like to add maybe half a lb of munich malt for some extra body, this probably helps too.

S

smilingwyvern

hanks for the help. Ive been wanting to start a meadery at some time. And before I did that I wanted to get a few recipes and try them before I decided to add them to the list of products i would produce. After I get back from deployment I'm going to start making small batches for "testing reasons". ;)

JoeM

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
If your braggot is a big seller will i get royalties? ;D

S

smilingwyvern

JoeM said:
If your braggot is a big seller will i get royalties? ;D
I could name the reipe after you and send you a supply from every batch. 8)

Lagerman64

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 17, 2003
NY
I tend to avoid hops when making braggots, I hate to have them confused with beer. I will however be using heather in my next one ;).

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Uh oh! Heather braggot!

Where's Joe Mattioli? Joe loves English Mead and is always in search of excellent Heather Honey. I think he would be conflicted about Heather Braggot though since he thought his braggot made with Orange Blossom Honey was sissified because it had a floral aroma to it.

I'll alert the media and wait for Joe to weigh in here! LOL

Cheers,

Oskaar

ancjr

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 7, 2005
I have a friend wanting to make a heather ale as well. Can anyone (Oskaar!!!) attempt to describe is flavor? :)

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Sadly, I cannot describe heather ale, braggot or mead. I can however describe a former girlfriend named Heather. . .

ancjr

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 7, 2005
I have a former Heather as well. So, I'll assume it's more bitter than hops. ;)

jk Heather!!!

JoeM

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
Between half a pound and a pound of specialty grain on top of 3 lbs of DME for a 5 gallon batch...

Lagerman64

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 17, 2003
NY
Well as far as grains go, the plan is to mash 14# Pale malt, 8# Munich and 5# Cara-Pils malt. I'm hoping to make up most of the boil volume, plus the honey, with the runoff. Stop the sparge around 1.004, top off with water if I have too. 24 gallon volume. :)

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns