PDA

View Full Version : first cyder done?

jfet
03-10-2005, 04:56 PM
Ok well,
I did a cyder roughly 3 gallons. I put in only 2 1/2 pounds of locally grown honey. Spices and you all know the rest of the deal. Let it go for 6 weeks racked it. Let it go for 6 weeks racked it. Let it go for 4 weeks racked and bottled. First month woah crazy gasolinish. Two months later mellowed out alot. Three months good. Thee and a half months tasted like it was cabonizing.(fuzzy feeling at a taste) I took it to a deep cold and heat and no bubbles before bottling. Is it possable that Ive got 13 bomb waiting to go off? I dont drink grape wine. So is this just a normal feeling in this kind of alchohol or something else. Any help would be greatly appriciated. . .
christoph

Jmattioli
03-10-2005, 05:09 PM
yes possible. If it is still a bit sweet (SG above 1.005 and you did not sorbate) and you taste fizz that means it is fermenting. You need to unbottle, degass and stabilize with Sorbate and rebottle after a couple weeks. Or you can let finish and go dry. Helps to know the SG at bottling time as if it is low enough you will have carbonated Cyser and not have to worry about bottle bombs. Sorry to break the news.
Joe

jfet
03-10-2005, 05:30 PM
Sorry good call. The last gravity taken was 1.0. The last bottle that I tried was one of the last bottles that I filled. It had very little dust of leez. Could the leez be forcing carbonazation? Ive been drinking from the last filled to the first. I did not sorbate. I wanted to go au natural.

Jmattioli
03-10-2005, 05:52 PM
Yes, even when clear there are some yeasts suspended. Some use micron filters to filter out any remaining yeasts. Other than that it is best to Sorbate or push the yeast past its lalcohol limit.
Joe