PDA

View Full Version : cloudy after five months

irishoneme
03-12-2005, 06:41 PM
This is my first big batch of mead, so I'm a little nervous. After two months in the carboy, there was significant settling. I then transfered it into another sterile carboy to continue clarification. It has been five months now and my mead is still cloudy. Is it alright to bottle like this, or should I continue to wait? My first mini-batch was rushed and I had to deal with exploding corks, and a drunk dog. Please help.

Pewter_of_Deodar
03-13-2005, 12:27 PM
Please give us an idea of what you put into your mead. Some fruits are more likely to end up requiring fining than others. White grapes, peaches, several others...

JoeM
03-13-2005, 10:24 PM
I would wait it out...after 5 months i wouldn't be very concerned about exploding bottles, however, if you bottle a mead while its coudy like that you will certainly have sediment in your bottles. Besides, your mead will benefit from the extended bulk age.

irishoneme
03-13-2005, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the info... there was no fruit in the batch, just the basics. I even used Irish moss to clarify, but to no avail. I've read about using gelatin, and might try that next.

Lagerman64
04-04-2005, 12:30 PM
Sparkloid is pretty amazing stuff, had a mead that was still couldy after a year. Added the sparkloid and it was crystal the next day. :o Totally Amazed Wow!!

WRATHWILDE
04-26-2005, 02:11 AM
Probably too late to help, but for those of us who think too much information is almost enough: I humbly submit the following link. http://www.makewine.com/makewine/fining.html
Wrathwilde

Lagerman64
04-28-2005, 12:58 AM
Great Reference Wrathwilde, I bookmarked it, Thanks. :)