PDA

View Full Version : Obsession

GntlKnght
03-17-2005, 07:13 PM
As many of you know, I will be teaching a meadmaking workshop next month. Along with the informational handouts I will be giving, I’d like to throw in some humor. One that all of you can help me with is “When do you know your obsessed with mead (or meadmaking)?”
Some examples are:
…when you legally change your name to your Gotmead.com user ID.
…when you eat out because there are too many carboys in the kitchen.
…when Gotmead.com is your homepage.

Uh oh! May have hit a little to close to home for some of you on that last one! At any rate, I am sure you get the idea!

Pewter_of_Deodar
03-17-2005, 08:20 PM
-- when there is more honey than milk in the kitchen.

-- when the biggest expense on your monthly credit card statement is from a brewing supply place.

-- when the loudest sound in the house at night is the bubbling of traps.

-- when all your cookbooks have been replaced by meadmaking books.

-- when you find your average posts per day on Gotmead.com is more than the number of spam emails you get in a day.

-- when you think about Oskaar and mead when watching the Lord of the Rings.

-- when your first thought is about mead when the word honey is mentioned.

-- when you have to work to avoid the 200 gallon per year limit.

-- when you run out of room for bottles in the winecellar and expand into the rest of the basement.

-- when you run out of room in the basement as well and look for additional storage space without even considering cutting back on your brewing.

-- when you spend more on ingredients for mead per week than you do on food.

-- when you check every trap every morning for activity before you leave for work and then check them again right after you get home.

-- when you find it completely enjoyable and even relaxing to stand and watch a trap bubble for more than a minute or three.

-- when you go grocery shopping and find yourself always looking for ingredients that are on sale that might work in your next batch.

-- when your brewing log is more organized than your checkbook.

Can you tell I am obsessed? ::) ::) ::)

Actually I got all of these from secretly observing Oskaar... ;) ;) ;)

GntlKnght
03-17-2005, 09:00 PM
These are great!!! Anyone else want to add a little something?

"more honey than milk" is priceless and too true!!!

smilingwyvern
03-17-2005, 09:13 PM
When you name all your batches and treat them like they are your children.
When you cry bec ause your best batch is gone.

Jmattioli
03-17-2005, 09:28 PM
Obsessed:

When you get up in the middle of the night to check for bubbles..

When your yeast start talking to you.....

When you sample your mead every day and expect the taste to change...

When your carboy is empty before you reach month 3 of aging...

When you can't drive by the brew shop without buying anything...

When you rack your mead just for something to do....

When you find yourself constantly sniffing airlocks.....

When your spouse says it time to do some chores and you instinctively run to your basement to check on your brew.

Joe

JamesP
03-17-2005, 09:33 PM
When you have apiarist constipation - you can't pass a honey shop (without checking out what honey they have 8) )

When you keep asking "you're not going to waste that honey by putting it on bread, are you"?

When your holiday destination is to allow you to buy new types of honey (Oops, is that one too close to home?)

When you need a forum to discuss meadmaking ( ::) - only joking)

David Baldwin
03-17-2005, 09:55 PM
Ouch some of that was painfully close to home.

Ok,

When your "jars" of honey are 60# each.

When you know the birthday of your first mead - better than you remember the birthdays of your children or your anniversary.

When the value of your brewing equipement exceeds the value of your primary vehicle.

When carboys are a regular item in your budget

When you coerce your freinds into drinking beer from Grolsch style bottles.
(and then turning the bottles over to you.)

When your wife moves her laundry room to the basement so that you can have a "clean room" for brewing.

Oskaar
03-18-2005, 04:16 AM
Top Ten Ways to Tell if You're Obsessed with Mead

10. You set up a wireless network upstairs so you can cruise Gotmead.com while on your laptop in the meadworx downstairs.

09. You have more than 60 carboys in your meadworx.

08. Your girlfriend yells "HON-EEEEEE" from the shower and you run to the front door looking for the FedEx guy.

07. You have a media center in you meadworx.

06. Your best friend "coincidentally" lives on the way to your honey supplier.

05. When you meet a girl you wonder how she looks in knee high rubber boots and holding a 60 pound bucket of honey.

04. You make your dog sleep outside when he turns his nose up at the mead you poured in his bowl.

03. You think a Mead themed "reality" show would draw big ratings on TV.

02. When your girlfriend says something about a "yeast infection," you panic and bolt to check your fermentors.

And the number one way to tell if you're obsessed with mead . . .

Your friends and family wonder who Oskaar is and why they've never met him!

Sigmund Von Meader
03-18-2005, 04:37 AM
05. When you meet a girl you wonder how she looks in knee high rubber boots and holding a 60 pound bucket of honey.

Oskaar -- these sound like some rather unusual errotic fantasies. . . a puzzle even for Sigmund Freud!

Talon
03-18-2005, 09:14 AM
Yeah, but I've actually done his #8! lol.

My wife wasn't very much amused... *grins*

Pewter_of_Deodar
03-18-2005, 11:34 AM
I don't know if it's sad or interesting or even amusing in a good way BUT it seems like all of us are somewhere along the path of becoming obsessed with our meadmaking. While I don't have 60 carboys (yet ::) ) I can still picture my basement with wall to wall bubbling batches. I have 8 or 9 gallons of honey in the house right now, none of it for use on bread. I suppose it is wonderful that we can share a hobby like this like we do and help and encourage each other like we do. And it is neat that we are much the same even though we come from all over the world as well...

The only bad thing I can see in all of this meadmaking stuff is this Oskaar guy... kinda like the boogey man if you ask me... ;D

Smart is the mazer whose mead is hid
In a cold, dark place and tightly lid
Cause in the night, there looms a threat
If you have mead, he's not come yet

So guard your bottles and carboys too
Or there will be no mead for you
And do not sleep, watch night and day
Forget you not, Oskaar's on his way...

Please go to the stereo, turn on the Jaws theme song, and reread the poem a second time for proper effect... ::)

With a huge grin,
Pewter

David Baldwin
03-18-2005, 12:36 PM
So THAT"S what's been happening to my stash!!!

(Gives a suspicious squinty-eyed glare toward Oskaar). ;D ;D ;D

I'm seriously looking forward to meeting some of you at the next Mead Fest.

Together we can share and support...

"Hi, I'm Dave, and I'm a mazer. I haven't had an empty carboy in 9 months..."

edited for spelling...

GntlKnght
03-18-2005, 03:42 PM
Together we can share and support...

"Hi, I'm Dave, and I'm a mazer. I haven't had an empty carboy in 9 months..."

In unison: Hi Dave!

Suzy_Q_Brewmistres
03-19-2005, 01:13 AM
Ok... I didn't think I was obsessed... I've only been interested in mead since Sept 04... that's only 6 months ago... and I've only made 18 gallons in those six months....
I have wireless internet in the other room... I do check in to Gotmead.com every night on my lap top in the next room.
I have heard the burping of airlocks at night... and have had to close two doors so that it won't wake me in the middle of the night.
I know the birthdays of my first, second and third meads that I had in the nursery... er... bathroom.
And I do check out ingredients in stores and at work that might make a nice mead........
Uuuuuuugggghhhh. I am obsessed....

Hello My name is Suzy Q., am I a Mazer?

David Baldwin
03-19-2005, 07:45 AM
Hello My name is Suzy Q., am I a Mazer?

In Unison: "Hi Suzy"

jab
03-19-2005, 11:51 AM
Are you obsessed if you have to have your buddy drive you to the homebrew supply store because you have racked 3 times today just to get at the 'spillage' and are no longer in a position to drive?

Miriam
03-19-2005, 04:02 PM
Pewter, I admire that poem...but I think that under Oskaar's evil persona there is a soft-hearted, sentimental sort of guy - the kind of son who dutifully wipes his feet on the mat under Mother's baleful eye - the kind of boyfriend who calls his girl "Baby" and who in time will call his babies "Sweetheart"... the kind of guy who is - well actually probably sharpening up his long-distance atomic reincarnation curse and aiming it towards Israel right now (help).

Miriam

Pewter_of_Deodar
03-19-2005, 05:12 PM
Miriam,

Oskaar and I chat in email a bit and I consider him (and everyone else here) a friend. He has talked about spillage parties and such. I am sure that you are right that he is a perfect gentleman... excuse me a minute I am getting sick... No, seriously Oskaar is cool and if my teasing were bothering him, he would talk to me in private about it...

Peace,
Pewter

Miriam
03-19-2005, 05:23 PM
Well I was just kidding too, Pewter. Oskaar is, I notice, preserving a dignified silence while we take his name in vain...or maybe he is revving up something truly awful to surprise us with. :D

Miriam

Oskaar
03-19-2005, 05:33 PM
Better to be silent and thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

d'OH!!!!

LOL Oskaar

Pewter_of_Deodar
03-19-2005, 05:35 PM
Nah... don't be fooled... Oskaar is just hiding so as not to attract more teasing...

Dignified silence? Plotting silently is more like it...

I do hope sometime to make it out to his place and share a few...

Miriam
03-19-2005, 05:58 PM
Mmffle...gurg.

Miriam (carefully extracting foot from mouth)

Pewter_of_Deodar
03-19-2005, 06:10 PM
Miriam,

I believe Oskaar was spoofing himself as to why he was being quiet. You certainly haven't put your foot in your mouth.

Speaking of which. We did the hard cider yeast tastings a week or so ago and I still need to post results. I REALLY wish we had had an educated palate like Oskaars there the day we did it...

Peace,
Pewter

Stefan_of_Drk Rvr
04-21-2005, 03:07 AM
Well, it's amazing what can bee found, when time permits!!

I don't get much comp. time when I get home, as I drive truck to finance home and hobby. Not always in that order, but enuff for my wife to allow me kitchen rights occasionally. LOL

I have been mazing for my SCAdian friends (or so it seems, lol) for about 4 yrs now and just recently found this place. Sorta reminded me of Callahan's; you'll find it when you need it.

More honey than milk?............................................. ..YES
Apiarist constipation?..................................... ............YES
Sniffing airlocks?......................................... ..............YES
Brew log more organized than checkbook?..................YES
Rack just for something to do?...................................YES
Carboy empty before aging 3 months?........................YES
Check every trap morning and night?..........................YES

Hi, I'm Stefan and I'm a mazer!

To Pewter;
I hail from Dark River (Quad-Cities) and had planned to attend Crown in Deodar on 5/7. Look for silly sheepskin hat w/Barenjager pin. Or look in kitchen at Dark River's M&M on 6/4. Looking forward to meeting you.

WRATHWILDE
04-21-2005, 05:10 AM
Glad to see another lost soul in the Crosstime Saloon. Toe Up to the line, "To Mead! The Bee's Knees of Apiaries!" (Sound of Glass Smassing in the fireplace)
Jered

Oskaar
04-21-2005, 02:22 PM
Whoa! It's the "Guy with the eyes"

Cheers,

Oskaar

WRATHWILDE
04-21-2005, 03:08 PM
To "Smack" then Oskaar. You know a Punny thing happened on the way to the Forum, I read
you Cloud and Clear.
Wrathwilde

Oskaar
04-21-2005, 11:04 PM
WW,

You cut right to the heart of the matter! I Aorta poke you one in the eye.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Pewter_of_Deodar
04-22-2005, 12:34 AM
Excuse me, but this is the Mazers Anonymous meeting...

The Punsters Anonymous meeting is across the street in www.punny.com where you hear all the loud groans coming from... ::)

With a smile,
Pewter

Brewbear
06-01-2005, 08:30 PM
When you're thiking of your next mead while pitching the yeast in the current one,
When your clothes smell like honey-orange because the fermenting jug is in your closet,
When you talk to the airlocks and they respond....blip, blip.....
When you hear the yeasties talking to you.....and you answer,
When you judge everything's worth in weight of honey,
When you fight with your dog for the ripe fruit in the trees :-\

Hi, my name is Brewbear (forget Ted), and I'm a mazer :-[

Pewter_of_Deodar
10-26-2005, 01:05 PM
I am just posting to this thread to pop it to the top so that many of our newcomers that might have missed it can enjoy and contribute...

Dan McFeeley
10-26-2005, 01:38 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v676/mcfeeley/hart1a.jpg[img]

*bump*

;D

Dmntd
10-26-2005, 01:41 PM
Obsessed:

When the sum of what you learned in high school, is exceeded by what you learned about making mead in 6 months.

Anthony

Sigmund Von Meader
10-26-2005, 01:52 PM
There's a subtle difference between obsession and passion, hard to catch sometimes because they overlap, but it's there.

Obsession is a drive that inevitably takes away from life and living. An obessed person drives everyone meshugge (just plain crazy) and it soon becomes obvious that the person doesn't have much of a life.

Passion is equally driven, sometimes more so (hence the overlap) but the critical difference is how it adds to life. A passionate person is driven to learn more, uses his/her learning, and gains more out of life.

And sometimes the passionate person is also a meshuggener. ;D

Pewter_of_Deodar
10-26-2005, 02:26 PM
There's a subtle difference between obsession and passion, hard to catch sometimes because they overlap, but it's there.

Obsession is a drive that inevitably takes away from life and living. An obessed person drives everyone meshugge (just plain crazy) and it soon becomes obvious that the person doesn't have much of a life.

Passion is equally driven, sometimes more so (hence the overlap) but the critical difference is how it adds to life. A passionate person is driven to learn more, uses his/her learning, and gains more out of life.

And sometimes the passionate person is also a meshuggener. ;D

I think I understand...

A person that is passionate about mead spares no expense and gets drunk sampling a variety of meads at various events scattered about the country while surrounded by similarly passionate friends...

While a person that is obsessed about mead gets drunk sampling various meads at home from his private stash surrounded by similarly obsessed friends...

Right? ::) ::) ::)

With a grin,
Pewter

Sigmund Von Meader
10-26-2005, 02:50 PM
I think I understand...

A person that is passionate about mead spares no expense and gets drunk sampling a variety of meads at various events scattered about the country while surrounded by similarly passionate friends...

While a person that is obsessed about mead gets drunk sampling various meads at home from his private stash surrounded by similarly obsessed friends...

Right? ::) ::) ::)

With a grin,
Pewter

Richtig! Well, kind of sort of, as a friend of mine used to say.

When are we getting Avatars back? I feel unmasked, "kind of sort of," not having something to present the list with.

The former -- maybe you're describing Oskaar, his mask rather.

Maybe not. ;D

I've seen meadmakers at mead gatherings -- they swap the fruits of their labors saying "Try this!" "What do you think?" These are not drunkards, although they may get a bit "happy" in the process. Drunkards don't do things like this. I know!

Passion -- in school, why would anyone want to learn about microbiology? Such a waste, why bother. To make a better mead? Ach, suddenly microbiology is of huge importance.

Here is a test -- think of a dry mead, subtle, hints of the varietal honeys, a perfect match for the meal you've planned for your significant other this evening. Are you salivating like Pavlov's dogs? If so, then you know the difference between passion (get your mind out of the gutter!) and obsession.

Gott in Himmel. I must make more mead.

David Baldwin
10-26-2005, 03:29 PM
Good point Sig.

If I had started making mead before I went to college rather than long after, I could guarantee you that I would have gotten better grades.

Well... at least until I got the boot... It was a private college where alcohol was forbidden and a guaranteed expulsion. ;D

(At least I would have gotten MUCH better grades in my molecular biology class!)

David

RiffRaff
10-26-2005, 03:37 PM
I think I’m getting obsessed… I started my first 6 gallon batch Oct 9th… today is Oct 26th and I now have 4 six gallon carboys bubbling away and I have 24 more pounds of honey sitting in my kitchen I bought last night. LOL I’m thinking of starting several small batches so I can try some of the recipes I’ve read on this site. The peanut butter mead is at the top of my list. :) I also want to try making a couple of 1 gallon batches of plain mead doing everything the same with each but using different honey to see how much the taste differs from one to the other.

Miriam
10-26-2005, 05:22 PM
I am feeling disturbed here. My meads don't need racking and there are no more empty carboys seductively calling my name, so I can't start any new meads till some get free. (I will not buy more carboys. I will not buy more carboys.)And then, oh, the joy of selecting a honey, concocting a recipe, and printing out a pristine brewlog! Rapture unchained! But - no empty carboys now. I'd better go back to sublimating my obsession into a meadly tale.

Miriam

Pewter_of_Deodar
10-26-2005, 06:25 PM
I believe that passion is merely a more sophisticated form of obsession, one in which the primal urges to pitch yeast, violently shake must, press fruit until it bursts, routinely putting your offspring through racking every few months, and such things are disguised beneath genteel behaviors and mannerisms.

The obsessed and the passionate both taste their meads. The obsessed "chugging" and the passionate using polite small sips. The obsessed wiping their mouths on the on their sleeves while the passionate daintily dab with a napkin. But at the end of the night, both have left the bottles empty. So is the difference only one of appearance?

Are passionate people merely those like Miriam, most likely obsessed with those new carboys in the window of the brewshop and yet willing to force herself to look the other way and deny the very innermost carnal cravings to pitch yet another batch, one of that latest recipe she has concocted AND TO DO IT TONIGHT?!?!

Are passionate people merely the obsessed ones that refrain from the urge to taste that wonderful mead for long enough to politely swirl the wine glass, sniff the aroma, observe the legs and color, and then FINALLY enjoy a small taste of what they are holding, but only after lifting their little finger to the proper angle? The obsessed man with his mug, maybe the wiser of the two, saying "DRINK NOW, EXAMINE LATER!". ;D ;D ;D

The passionate man says "The blush must be just right or it's not really good mead." The obsessed man says "The heck with how it looks, does it taste good?".

Obviously having WAY too much fun with this...
Pewter

beeboy
10-26-2005, 06:43 PM
I think obsession is setting in, have two 5 gallon batches going right now in different stages. My limiting factor is room, can set up three carboys in the hall closet but need the room that one carboy takes up for bottling supplies. Thinking about brewing gallon batches but know I will be lucky to bottle anything from the gallon runs. I'm even stopping at local farmers markets looking for different honey and telling myself that five dollars a pound really isn't that bad a price ;). When I'm not brewing mead I'm down at the beehive talking to the bees telling them to hurry up and get more honey in ;D. Actually it looks like the bees are doing thier thing, have almost two supers full, just waiting for them to finish capping the comb.

Miriam
10-27-2005, 02:05 AM
Are passionate people merely those like Miriam, most likely obsessed with those new carboys in the window of the brewshop and yet willing to force herself to look the other way and deny the very innermost carnal cravings to pitch yet another batch, one of that latest recipe she has concocted AND TO DO IT TONIGHT?!?!

Gulp...looks like I've been discovered. Should I hide in shame? Or just come right out of the closet (no room in there anymore anyway, what with all the carboys) and tell the world - "I am a mazer"?

Problem is, I still haven't figured out if I'm a mazer or a mazeress.

Miriam

Brewbear
10-27-2005, 02:13 AM
How about Lady Mazer? In you case, Miriam, a wonderful story telling lady mazer ;D

Ted

Brewbear
10-27-2005, 02:16 AM
I just converted one of the spare bedrooms into a mead bulk aging room :-\
Am I obsessed or just passionate?

Ted

WRATHWILDE
10-27-2005, 02:25 AM
Could Miriam possibly be a Mazerine? As -ine is commonly used to for forming feminine common nouns and proper names such as heroine, Josephine.

Wrathwilde

Miriam
10-27-2005, 02:28 AM
Thank you, Ted. :)

Now Wrathwilde, I kind of like that. (Humming)

"Oh Mazerine
Why cantcha be true?"

The Wine Dybbuk would sing, "Oy, Mazerine..."

I'd better get off of here and go take care of Real Life for a while. ::)

Miriam

Brewbear
10-27-2005, 02:31 AM
I agree, but Real Life can be such a drag sometimes :-\

Ted - grudgingly going back to real life

andrew_buhl
10-27-2005, 04:30 AM
When the sum of what you learned in high school, is exceeded by what you learned about making mead in 6 months.

HEY, I resemble that remark!

Glacierwulf
10-27-2005, 04:56 AM
when you look at honey and think "how can i ferment that?" or "what can i ferment that with?"

Dan McFeeley
10-27-2005, 09:16 AM

when you look at honey and think "how can i ferment that?" or "what can i ferment that with?"

*Please* tell us you're not looking at mass produced commercial honey, the stuff on grocery store shelves, with those thoughts. ;D ;D ;D

Pewter_of_Deodar
10-27-2005, 11:02 AM
When I'm not brewing mead I'm down at the beehive talking to the bees telling them to hurry up and get more honey in ;D. Actually it looks like the bees are doing thier thing, have almost two supers full, just waiting for them to finish capping the comb.

I hear that if you sing lullabyes to them at night it will help them to be rested for the next day's gathering.... ;D

Pewter_of_Deodar
10-27-2005, 11:05 AM

*Please* tell us you're not looking at mass produced commercial honey, the stuff on grocery store shelves, with those thoughts. ;D ;D ;D

I have to confess... the last time I was at Sam's Club, they had a pallet full of 5 pound containers. I stood there for a minute or two trying to decide exactly how many batches that much honey would make and how long it would take me to ferment all of it with my current glass...

My name is Pewter, and I am a mazer...

David Baldwin
10-27-2005, 11:07 AM

Ouch - I deeply resemble that, and yes I've been guilty of that - recently... But only because I haven't been able to get in contact with my normal bulk supplier... :-[

David

Pewter_of_Deodar
10-27-2005, 11:16 AM
When I'm not brewing mead I'm down at the beehive talking to the bees telling them to hurry up and get more honey in ;D. Actually it looks like the bees are doing thier thing, have almost two supers full, just waiting for them to finish capping the comb.

Have you hugged your hive today? ::) ::) ::)

Sigmund Von Meader
10-27-2005, 12:44 PM

Have you hugged your hive today? ::) ::) ::)

How interesting. Beeboy is looking to the old European custom of "telling the bees."

I think even the good Carl Gustav doesn't have an archetype for this. Complex? Maybe, maybe not. ;-)

Dmntd
10-27-2005, 01:44 PM
I obsess, therefor I am ;D

Demented One

I have the heart of a little girl...

It sit in a jar on my desk

RiffRaff
10-27-2005, 03:55 PM

I have to confess... the last time I was at Sam's Club, they had a pallet full of 5 pound containers. I stood there for a minute or two trying to decide exactly how many batches that much honey would make and how long it would take me to ferment all of it with my current glass...

My name is Pewter, and I am a mazer...

I went over to a local beekeepers to pick up some honey the other night and he stacks and stacks of 5 gallon buckets of honey for sale and I started doing the same thing. LOL

Pewter_of_Deodar
11-01-2005, 12:48 PM
Just a quick question to everyone...

How many gallons of honey do you have in your place right now ready to be made into mead?

*testing new "honey as the measure of obsession" level theory*

andrew_buhl
11-01-2005, 01:08 PM
Currently 10 gallons in 2 pails. Giving serious consideration to ordering a 45 gallon drum

RiffRaff
11-01-2005, 01:08 PM
2 Gallons sitting in kitchen ready for my next batch of mead and it's driving me crazy seeing them sitting there... I already have 4 six gallon batches and 2 one gallon batches bubbling away and no free carboys to make more... :(

storm1969
11-01-2005, 01:48 PM
about 28 lbs,

12 lbs of Cranberry honey that is going to be made into a show mead.

the rest is just assorted smaller amounts of honey.

Brian

(I have been thinking about getting a drum of honey, too!)

(Just don't tell my wife, she might kill or commit me!)

Pewter_of_Deodar
11-01-2005, 02:07 PM
I ordered three 5 gallon pails of Orange Blossom from Dutch Gold a month or so ago and have used one container.

I have:
12 gallons of Orange Blossom
3 gallons Wildflower
1 gallon Blueberry
1 gallon Blackberry
1 gallon Red Raspberry

That's about enough for 60 gallons?!?!?!

David Baldwin
11-01-2005, 02:09 PM
Not a drop :(

I really need to get back in touch with my bulk supplier.

Pewter_of_Deodar
11-01-2005, 03:49 PM
Not a drop :(

I really need to get back in touch with my bulk supplier.

You also need to get in touch with your inner man again!

Consider yourself to be on temporary suspension until you correct the situation. You may reapply for Mazer's Anonymous by submitting a half dozen bottles of good mead to me...

(for all of you grumbling out there and questioning why I should get the mead...

because I thought of it first!!! ::) ::) ::) )

Mynx
11-01-2005, 04:59 PM
Right around 20 kilos right now. Would have another batch started already if my damn Vanilla wasnt causing me grief.

CheshireCat
11-01-2005, 05:01 PM

I get my honey from the store, and I don't seem to get any complaints. ;) Sure I won't be winning any awards for it, but becoming mead is something that even run-of-the-mill honey can aspire for! Besides, the 4lbs jugs from Sams Club is good for those of us can only invest so much money at a time into a hobby.

beeboy
11-01-2005, 07:58 PM
Right now maybee two gallons, lots of quart jars from the last couple honey harvests and some generic Sam's Club honey which is used to fill up the secondary after racking. Note to self, more hives mean more honey, need to get more hives ;)

Pewter_of_Deodar
11-02-2005, 11:40 AM
Right around 20 kilos right now. Would have another batch started already if my damn Vanilla wasnt causing me grief.

Mynx,

You gotta get that batch fixed! I am waiting for your results before I start my Vanilla Mead, Seriously, a gallon and a half of the Wildflower Honey is for a Vanilla Mead...

Good luck!
Pewter

David Baldwin
11-02-2005, 12:23 PM
You also need to get in touch with your inner man again!

Consider yourself to be on temporary suspension until you correct the situation. You may reapply for Mazer's Anonymous by submitting a half dozen bottles of good mead to me...

(for all of you grumbling out there and questioning why I should get the mead...

because I thought of it first!!! ::) ::) ::) )

Pewter,

You are a cold hard man. Not only am I out of my main material, I have empty carboys and now I'm suspended from Mazers Anonymous... You might say I'm MAD
Mazers Anonymous Defrocked! ;D ;D ;D

It hasn't even been two weeks since I pitched my last batch!

Oh the cruelty of it all...

David

Pewter_of_Deodar
11-02-2005, 02:23 PM
David,

Sorry for my edict to have devastated you so completely. I suppose since you sound sincerely repentent, I can drop the reinstatement penalty to only 5 bottles... ::) ::) ::)

But if Mynx can sleep with her drooling cats for the good of her mead, you can get some honey! Of course you need to get LOTS of honey since some of what you buy will get "eaten" by those empty carboys... ;D ;D ;D

Have a great day,
Pewter

RiffRaff
11-03-2005, 01:40 PM
I have a new one for you. Before I started making mead I would turn the thermostat down in the morning when I left for work... Now that I have 4 batches of mead brewing in the kitchen I turn the heat up before I leave for work so the mead can keep warm and keep the yeast happy! ;D

Pewter_of_Deodar
11-03-2005, 02:09 PM
I have a new one for you. Before I started making mead I would turn the thermostat down in the morning when I left for work... Now that I have 4 batches of mead brewing in the kitchen I turn the heat up before I leave for work so the mead can keep warm and keep the yeast happy! ;D

Yeh, that should be on the list...

You know that you are obsessed when you turn the thermostat up instead of down in the winter. (to keep your batches warm)

I suppose there is the reverse for those in warmer climes...

You know that you are obsessed when you set the air conditioning higher than you normally would in order not to "chill" your batches.

Everyone have a great day!
Pewter

webmaster
11-03-2005, 03:33 PM
LOL....I'm reading through this thread and trying really hard not to kitten Dr. Pepper through my nose.......

Me, I've got about 10 gallons of various types of honey lying around waiting for an open carboy. With luck, I'll rack 4 meads out of pails on Monday, and free up for the next 4 batches.....a sweet mead, a rose mead, a spiced cyser and another I haven't decided on yet......

Oh, and take a look at http://www.gotmead.com/cgi-bin/store/cpshop.cgi/clothes?trail=&page=1&st=Shirts - I've put your 'You know you're obssessed with mead when..." lists on a shirt, front and back, with credit to all y'all.

Vicky - giggling and thinking its time to check the honey supply

Pewter_of_Deodar
11-03-2005, 05:37 PM
Vicki,

Don't know if you intended to but the front has the "sample every day expecting it to change" comment twice.

Other than that and the fact that it was a little hard to figure out how to get to the zoom view of the back of the shirt, it looks good. I will order one once I talk to the boss...

Thanks,
Pewter

webmaster
11-03-2005, 06:27 PM
Thanks Pewter, I missed that. Its fixed now, and the back has been changed to read more easily.

Thanks to you and Joe for the idea.......... ;D

Brewbear
11-03-2005, 09:37 PM
Empty carboys = 0
Honey on hand: 1 gal buckwheat, 2 gal orange blossom, 2 gal wildflower, 2 gal clover, 1 gal golden meadow, 5 lb sage, 2 lb tupelo, 1 gal mesquite.
Planned meads: persimmon ( co-worker gave me about 50 lbs), Oskaar's cyser and that's about it....for now ;D
Also planned a braggot, the easy way-->I have a 3lb can of hopped extract. They instruct you to use 4.4 lb sugar to get to a 5 gal batch. I figured 5.5 lb honey should just about do it ;D

Hi, my name is Brewbear and I'm a mazer!

Ted
Did anyone mention: you are obsessed when you use your www.Gotmead.com login name instead of your given/legal name? Or, you legally change your name to your www.gotmead.com login name :P

WRATHWILDE
11-03-2005, 09:39 PM
How many gallons of honey do you have in your place right now ready to be made into mead?
*testing new "honey as the measure of obsession" level theory*

None. When I get honey... I make mead. I take the view that for every day your Honey sits around is a day longer your mead could be aging. I only buy honey when I've got 2 Carboys free (I always keep one free to rack into), of course at times that means buying more carboys first. ;D

A better measure may be how many full carboys to empty.

Wrathwilde (who only has one free carboy)

Brewbear
11-03-2005, 09:42 PM
Hey Wrath,
I sorta' resemble that remark :-X

Ted

Oskaar
11-04-2005, 02:36 PM
I'm pretty much with Wrathwilde on this.

I live so close to my honey guy at the Farmer's Market it really makes no sense for me to inventory honey for very long. When I want it I go get it and convert it to mead ASAP.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Brewbear
11-05-2005, 09:10 PM
How about : your LHBS phone number on the speed dial before 911?

Ted

Pewter_of_Deodar
11-07-2005, 10:06 AM
I need to take and post some pics...

My limitation right now is that primary fermentation occurs in our kitchen, limiting it to 3 carboys that cover about half of the kitchen table (where the kids eat breakfast). My wonderful wife tolerates these black plastic trashbag covered bubbling menaces taking up space on the table as long as the kids can eat their cereal.

Because I was able to get fresh apple juice from my friend twice in a couple of weeks, I just had to start a 4th batch which is fermenting on the kitchen counter next to the microwave. My wife frowned a bit but didn't snarl, but I think I am at the limit of what I can do. So I get to start about 4 batches every 6 to 8 weeks, replacing the ones I rack and send downstairs to age with new ones. In those terms, I have enough honey for 4 months...

Brewboy
11-07-2005, 02:17 PM
Hi! I've been lurking in this forum long enough, so.....

I guess by everyone's definition, I am obsessed with mead, as well as beer. Started this "hobby" by brewing beer, tried making a mead, and now make as much mead as I brew beer.

After many trips to Sam's Club for their honey (hey! a guy's gotta start somewhere!), I now have a source of locally produced clover honey, and recently bought 72 pounds from him. (My wife just shook her head when I told her.)

Currently I have 10 gallons (2 different herbed clover meads) in primary, 5 gallons cyser in secondary, and an additional 50# clover honey waiting its turn. (This is in addition to the 35 gallons of various beers in primaries and secondaries.)

Obsessed is:
....when you worry that the CO2 level in the basement could possibly extinguish the pilot light of your water heater.

....when your wife no longer calls it the "basement" but refers to it as "the brewery".

BrewBoy

David Baldwin
11-07-2005, 03:07 PM
Brewboy,

Welcome to the forums and our little world of obsession.

Now you've got me worried... maybe I should install an O2 sensor in my basement... I'd really hate to have the waterheater and furnace go out... ;D

David

Oskaar
11-07-2005, 03:09 PM
Hey Pewter,

Sounds to me like your wife is a good candidate for beatification!!

Maybe a nice evening out on the town, dinner, dancing, and a movie are in order to let her know how much she's appreciated! Seriously!

I have a lot of buddies whose wives won't let them brew at home, so that's why the traffic in my meadworx get's heavy from time to time.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Mynx
11-07-2005, 03:14 PM
Then there're the wives who brew contingent!

My boy's buying the next round of beer stuff for me, hahaha...

webmaster
11-07-2005, 05:56 PM
Thats how I got 'round the spousal disapproval, dragged the DH down to the brewshop and bought him a beer setup. Now he makes the beer, I make the mead, wine and cordials, and our friends get to drink it all.

Vicky - back and whipped from a weekend of killing clays in black powder competition

Miriam
11-08-2005, 03:06 AM
I know I've said this elsewhere, but can't resist praising my DH again. He says nothing about the intermittent expenses of the hobby, the room it takes up in the house, the long phone conversations with another homebrewer, or even about the days I'm racking and bottling, when all he might get for lunch from an obsessed wife is a sandwhich. And he can't even drink any of it. Oh - and these weeks when I've been thinking and talking about the Meadly Tale almost exclusively, he's been interested and responsive where most people's eyes just glaze over.

Miriam

WRATHWILDE
07-15-2006, 02:52 AM
You know you're obsessed when you start taking show tunes and turning the lyrics to mead... Got part of this stuck in my head at work, and had to advance it a little further... only completed about a 3rd of the tune anybody want to pick up where I left off?

To the tune of "Everybody Ought to Have a Maid"

Everybody ought to have a Mead,
Everybody ought to have a Hydromel,
Everybody ought to have a Melomel
To drink around the house.
Everybody ought to have a menial
brewing continual
And quieter than a mouse.
Oh, oh, wouldn't mead be delicious,
Washing down the dishes,
Sweet as a sin.
Oh, oh, wouldn't mead be delightful,
On the pull,
cashing in.

A mead to warm those pretty things
into offering the sort of things
You never get from a spouse:
Flute-ing up the bubbly,
draining several bottles,
Clambering to the bedroom,
lubing up the master,
sloshing all around the house!
Oh, oh, wouldn't mead be delicious,
licked from two dishes,
call it a Sin.
Oh, oh, wouldn't mead be delightful,
Eating out,
Breakfast in.

Everybody ought to have a Mead
to compliment a spanish meal
I think you'll find an aguamiel
goes graceful with a grouse:

Wrathwilde

Dan McFeeley
07-15-2006, 09:20 AM
Absolutely hilarious! ;D ;D ;D

For anyone who's wondering, the tune is from the Broadway show "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum."

Blast -- now I'm going to have this tune running through my head for the rest of the day.

WRATHWILDE
07-15-2006, 01:12 PM
Blast -- now I'm going to have this tune running through my head for the rest of the day.

Yep, the tune's contagious and hard to shake once you catch it. ;D

Wrathwilde

WRATHWILDE
07-15-2006, 03:38 PM
For those of you who don't have the tune running through your head yet, here's an audio file of the song Everybody ought to have a Maid. (http://www.4shared.com/file/2531918/bb720f4/Everybody_Ought_to_have_a_Maid.html)

There should be a download button, click on that.

Wrathwilde

Landon
02-12-2007, 04:22 AM
You might be obsessed if you:

Bought a rose bush so you can make rhodomel. (ok I haven't done this, but I will after I graduate. For now I just asked my mom back home to harvest and freeze all the rose petals till I get home)

Wish you could go back in time to change your major to viticulture/oenology :BangHead:

webmaster
02-12-2007, 02:14 PM
Heehee. I didn't just buy one, I bought 10 so I'd have rose petals....

I have heirloom rose bushes, don't fertilize or spray them, just let them grow wild and prune them every year. We pick the flowers, admire them for one day, then ruthlessly pluck the petals and freeze them.

I've a bag in there now, and am waffling between doing a rhodomel, or making a rose cordial....

Pewter_of_Deodar
01-04-2010, 06:00 PM
Bump...

Happy New Year's 2010 to all my fellow obsessed meadmakers...

Pewter