• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Happy Purim

Barrel Char Wood Products

Miriam

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Feb 2, 2005
Purim Sameach --

Ah freiliche Pirim --

Tonight we celebrate the downfall of Haman and his plans...now I'd like to know who got drunk this Purim :D

Miriam, stashing bottles in the fridge

GntlKnght

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
And to you!
So, we will eat, drink and be merry! Or at least two out of the three! ;)

Talon

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 8, 2004
Happy holiday!

Being Pagan, I don't know this particular holiday, but any excuse for a celebration and I'm there!

What's the holiday we're celebrating?

From the sounds of it, someone's plans got the kaibosh... Almost like the British Guy Fawkes day where we would make a man of old clothes and hay and toss him on top of a bon fire. That was a celebration of his plan to kill the King of England, at the time, and all of Parliment. We'd have fireworks, the Scottish dancers and the bagpipes, etc...

Talon.

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
Talon, you can read the entire story here:
http://bible.gospelcom.net/passage/?book_id=19&chapter=1&version=49

In a nutshell: King of Persia (Ahasuerus), has a close advisor (Haman) who hates one particular Jew (Mordecai) because Mordecai won't grovel and scrape before Haman's highly exhalted personage.

Haman decides therefore to exterminate ALL Jews to rid himself of this annoying Mordecai.

The new queen (Esther) - unknown to any but herself and Mordecai - is a Jew. In spite of great perile to herself, she is able through great faith and courage to expose Haman for the evil man that he is.

Haman's plans are foiled. The Jews are able to rid themselves of their enemies, and the following celebration is still observed as the holiday Purim.

It is a wonderful historical story that has the drama and suspense of a modern novel. My synopsis really doesn't do it justice.

Miriam

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Feb 2, 2005
David, your synopsis is actually pretty good.

Talon, the crux of the story is that King Ahasuerus ruled over all the civilized world, so destroying all the Jews in his kingdoms would have amounted to 100% genocide. We celebrate the overturning of Haman's plot, where oppression and fear were turned into rejoicing, by giving to charity, feasting, and sharing gifts with friends.

We traditionally drink enough to get so tiddly we "don't know Haman from Mordechai" when we hear their names. It's the men who do this - we ladies refrain usually. Another way to do it is simply to take a nap, and guys like my husband, who don't drink a drop, ever, do that instead.

Miriam

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
Miriam,

If your hubby doesn't drink, who are all those bottles you are stashing in the fridge for? ::)

Don't tell me your parents, I won't believe you... :D

Happy Purim to you and your family!
Pewter

Miriam

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Feb 2, 2005
Ha ha, Pewter! My saintly husband doesn't object to anyone else lifting the elbow. But we do have a number of friends and extended family who gather at our table regularly, and we all do lift. ;)

Since my serious meads are all too young to open, I made some Hangover Cyser a while back (surprisingly good based on a mixed-berry concentrate) - that oughta do'em. ;D

Miriam

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
Miriam said:
Purim Sameach --

Ah freiliche Pirim --

Tonight we celebrate the downfall of Haman and his plans...now I'd like to know who got drunk this Purim :D

Miriam, stashing bottles in the fridge

Miriam,
I'm pagan also, but I used to live in a strongly Jewish neighborhood in New York City. Purim was always a happy time, there. For what it's worth, my wife, son, and I celebrated Ostara the other night, and did considerable damage to my latest gallon of melomel (the boy had to make due with apple juice). It's just a nice time of year to drink mead, I guess...then again, when isn't it?

-David

Miriam

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Feb 2, 2005
True...any time is mead time, apparently.

I love your avatar and the caption! Babies rock! ("Cause we're always rocking them.)

Miriam

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
Miriam said:
True...any time is mead time, apparently.

I love your avatar and the caption! Babies rock! ("Cause we're always rocking them.)

Miriam

Thanks about the avatar. Emmett's not so small anymore, being into his Terrible Twos, but, of course, he'll always be my little boy. Funny, but for the majority of my life I had no interest in having kids, but somehow, in the last couple of years, I've come to almost completely define myself as a father.

And a meadmaker, of course!

-David

BTW, i tried posting this before, but it didn't seem to take. Pardon me if it shows up twice.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns