PDA

View Full Version : An Anniversary (of sorts)

Whteknght
03-24-2005, 11:08 AM
My first mead is just over a year old now, and my second batch (a melomel) is approaching one year very quickly. Guess it's time for a sampling!

Hu-zah!

Tsuchi
03-24-2005, 11:18 AM
Good Gods! tell me you've tried them previously ;)

Pewter_of_Deodar
03-24-2005, 11:31 AM
Whiteknight,

What are they? And more important, how are they?

David Baldwin
03-24-2005, 12:37 PM
My hat is off to you.

Some of my first batch will make it a full year.

Batch 2 - 1 bottle left
Batch 3 - 1 bottle left

And I just started in July!

It's not the will power, it's the WON"T power I have trouble with. ;D

Whteknght
03-24-2005, 12:45 PM
There was a little sampling at racking and bottling time, but not since it was left to age.

As for what they are, Batch one is a plain dry mead (done with chemicals at the time, but I have moved passed that), the second is a Blackberry/Raspberry melomel. My spiced Cyser is considerably younger (just coming up on nine months).

lostnbronx
03-24-2005, 04:49 PM
There was a little sampling at racking and bottling time, but not since it was left to age.

Good Goddess! The man has nerves of steel!!!! :o

-David

Talon
03-25-2005, 09:18 AM
Hat's off to you, WhteKnght! I think I have to have a bottle at bottling time. For my experimental batches, they are no less than 3 gallons simply because I like to have a bottle or two within the short drinkable time prior to aging. I also have a bottle set aside from each batch to be opened at 1, 5 and 10 years so that I can see how each recipe has aged.

Talon.

Whteknght
03-25-2005, 10:36 AM
Actually, I left off that there was a bacth of Blackberry/Raspberry melomel (not the before mentioned) that is down to only 3 reserve bottles because the other 12 were consumed. :)

Wonder what could have happened to the rest of them... *looks innocent*

ancjr
03-25-2005, 10:48 AM
My first batch is 3 weeks old today :D

lostnbronx
03-25-2005, 02:15 PM

Congrats!!! Is this the Ancient Orange?

-David

jab
03-25-2005, 05:35 PM
Actually, I left off that there was a bacth of Blackberry/Raspberry melomel (not the before mentioned) that is down to only 3 reserve bottles because the other 12 were consumed. :)

Wonder what could have happened to the rest of them... *looks innocent*

Heh, me too. *looks Oskaar's way*

-jb

beeboy
03-25-2005, 08:15 PM
I'm down to two bottles of my first batch, born in August, three bottles of my second batch born in October. Gave a lot of it away during Christmas, drunk the rest while checking on how it was aging. ;D. Found that the easiest way to not drink what is aging is to keep a batch brewing and sample it while performing specific gravity checks. Maybe that's why I'm only getting 16 bottles out of a 5 gallon batch, love that "spillage". ;D

Jmattioli
03-25-2005, 11:10 PM
I make a number of recipes that I call quick meads that are about 10-14% alcohol that are drinkable from 3 weeks on. Thay keep me supplied daily while I have over 30 different recipe varieties bottled and aging. I keep one of each stored away in a special cabinet in the basement that I will not touch for a few more years. The others I open every now and then and drink to see how they are coming along or give for gifts.

No shortage here. 5 gallons of my 3 week no age sweet CW Mead is more than enough to keep my glass full dailey and last for 3 months while I experiment, build up a stash and wait on other batches to age. If I had to wait 2 years on every batch, I would have nothing to drink.

If the water suppliy drys up I figure I can make it on my mead for a few years.
"whats in your wallet? ".... I mean basement ;D

Joe

ancjr
03-26-2005, 05:29 AM

Congrats!!! Is this the Ancient Orange?

-David

It's from http://www.cavemanchemistry.com/cavebook/chmead3.html
I've even forgotten how I found that page. Perhaps it was fate?

But, I have to give it credit because it got me interested enough to research the topic further, leading me to this forum. My Ancient Orange is 2 weeks old today :)

Thanks again guys!