• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

warming and spicing store bought

Barrel Char Wood Products
U

UnoriginalUsername

Alright, after reading much of this site, I probably look *really* wimpy buying my mead, but alas, I am a college student and could never afford all the equipment. My grandmother would like to try some hot mead, so I bought a bottle of the stuff I like (from a local winery--winehaven) and now I would like to learn how to heat it up and spice it, ren fest style. Terribly sorry if this has been asked before or is not what you guys do, but I am having a terribly hard time finding a receipe, and instructions for heating without damaging the wine. Thanks in advance for help!

Val

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 8, 2005
Honestly I've never heard of heating mead, so I wouldn't know where to start. Try searching for mulled cider recipes, and go from there.

On a slight aside, I got all my equipment for brewing for under $100, that's including two 5-gallon carboys and the honey for my first batch.

My point is, if you want to brew, it needn't be that expensive.

JoeM

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
I stated in college with a plastic carboy from a watercooler that cost me $5, an airlock that cost $1, and some syphon tubing from home depot for 75 cents.

S

smilingwyvern

There is a little tool you can use called a muller. It is like a branding iron you heat up and stick it in the mead. You can also pour the mead in a pot and heat it on a low temp. Don't heat it too quik it will leave a bad taste and don't heat it too long for the same reason. Get it too where it is like a warm tea then add your spices and let steap. Try the spices steaped for a little at first and if you want more let it steap more.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I just nuke mine in the microwave at a lower power setting (like power level 7 for 5 minutes) and it works like a champ! No off flavors, no muss no fuss.

cheers,

Oskaar

U

UnoriginalUsername

Thanks :) How would I spice it? Make a tea bag and put cinnamin and clove? I'm not sure what spices to add. Does a muller spice it?

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Nah, all a muller does is heat the thing up like one of those immersion plug in water heaters that you drop in your mug for coffee or tea when you're travelling and such.

A lot of stores carry little packets of mulling spices here in California, but if you can't find those you can just make a little tea steeping ball with some cinnamon, allspice, clove, nutmeg, orange rind, etc. That should give you that classic mulled taste.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
UnoriginalUsername said:
Alright, after reading much of this site, I probably look *really* wimpy buying my mead, but alas, I am a college student and could never afford all the equipment. My grandmother would like to try some hot mead, so I bought a bottle of the stuff I like (from a local winery--winehaven) and now I would like to learn how to heat it up and spice it, ren fest style. Terribly sorry if this has been asked before or is not what you guys do, but I am having a terribly hard time finding a receipe, and instructions for heating without damaging the wine. Thanks in advance for help!

The equipment isn't as expensive as you might think. Can you afford a bottle of one of those jug wines, about a gallon? Get one and you've got a carboy. Get two and you've got two carboys, one for the primary fermentation, the second to finish it out in.

Stoppers and airlocks, tubing, ect. are about all you need to round out your equipment supply. If you're living in an apartment then you'll have a stove, maybe a nice stockpot for cooking. That's all you need to make mead!

Back to your question -- there's been a lot of good suggestions, but I'd add the use of a crockpot. I used to make a nice mulled wine recipe using a crock pot -- bottle of dry red, bottle of port, cup of apricot brandy, mulling spices, can of appricots chopped, almonds and raisins. Simmer in the crockpot for a few hours, strain through cheese cloth and serve hot. Really nice!

Gonzo

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 20, 2005
www.zedswetpaint.com
Dan McFeeley said:
Back to your question -- there's been a lot of good suggestions, but I'd add the use of a crockpot. I used to make a nice mulled wine recipe using a crock pot -- bottle of dry red, bottle of port, cup of apricot brandy, mulling spices, almonds and raisins. Simmer in the crockpot for a few hours, strain through cheese cloth and serve hot. Really nice!

Damn, that sounds good!

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
Dan, That mulled wine recipe sounds very nice. I'll have to give that a try.

For mulled wine, I also use the crock pot, and the packets of mulling spice from Chaucers. I tried Chaucers mulled once... once was enough...

I've not tried any other meads mulled.

Joe's Ancient Orange recipe is a great one to get you started cheap. It's proportioned for a 1 gallon batch.

Just make sure you follow the directions EXACTLY as he has it.

U

UnoriginalUsername

I guess it could be done, I wonder if I could get away with it in a dorm o_O? Mom's house works too---Thank You to everyone who replied, and now you have my little wheels turning :)

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns