• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

feeding

Barrel Char Wood Products
S

smilingwyvern

When is the best time to start feeding your mead? ???

Caerwyn

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 20, 2004
when it gets hungry... but NEVER after midnight!

;)

Caerwyn

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
If you are talking about nutrients, there has been some discussion about the value of incrementally increasing the nutrients over the first 72 hour of fermentation along with vigorous aeration.

I tried that with my most recent batch, and have been very pleased with the results so far. I've had very vigorous fermentation from the onset.

If however you are referring to feeding as the process of adding honey or other fermentables to increase the alcohol content, that's a different item altogether.

Say for instance you want to get a super high ABV mead with residual sweetness, you would add honey as the yeast begins to draw near it's tolerance. (KIV-1116 will ferment 20%+) The increase in total volume does briefly lower the ABV, but the fermentation should kick back off and the stronger yeast cells should ferment to a higher ABV.

Oskaar, and others can probably give you a better description of the hows and whys, but this is what I've learned from my first batch of mead.

Check my brewlog http://www.gotmead.com/smf/index.php/topic,288.0.htm
for the full details on my experience with high gravity and KIV.

lI hope this is at least some of the info you are looking for.

David

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns