• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Getting the fruit out of the mead

Barrel Char Wood Products

Deege

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 7, 2005
www.fermentarium.com
I made a rasberry melomel. Wow it tastes great!! The only problem is all the "floaters". I've got little bits of rasberries that seem to come with each racking. Is there a good method to get these out of the mead?

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
There are a couple of ways to rack off without getting the floaties, but the easiest way is to send me the batch and I'll make sure there are no floaties left! ;)

Seriously though, shipping is so cheap nowadays . . .

But if you're still getting floaties you can try:

1. Slide a sanitized fine mesh grain bag over your racking cane and inserting it into your vessel to rack, this usually works fine.

2. Wrap a Kurly Kate around the end of the racking cane. This is tricky if you're using a carboy though. A couple of sanitized rubber bands will hold it on.

Hope that helps,

Oskaar

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
My red raspberry mead is almost stopped and is about half clear, half garbage. I will likely run the racking through some cheesecloth over a strainer over a funnel into the carboy to remove the gunk, though it may take another racking in a wek or two.

On the other hand, my red raspberry wine has dropped clear like every other batch I've done before....

Talon

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 8, 2004
Careful, Pewter, that may unnecessarilly oxygenate your must.

I'd wrap the cheese cloth over the end of your racking cane instead.

Talon.

Talon

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 8, 2004
Oxydation will give your mead a more of a Sherry flavor profile than a wine/mead like profile. To see what I mean, get two of the small taster samples of wine from your grocery store. The nip sized ones of about a 6oz glass...

Take one and drink half of it. Put them both in the refrigerator and let them sit for a week. Be sure to take notes on the flavors you tasted, etc. At the end of the week, take a sip of the unopened one and compare to your notes to make sure it was the same. Then take a sip of the opened one and take notes on it. Compare it to the first set of notes and flavor profile of the other.

CosmicCharlie

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 15, 2004
Like Oskaar said, I cut a little square of cheesecloth and attach it to my racking cane by placing it between the cane and the tip (you know, this thing: link removed at website owners request)

Last edited by a moderator:
Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns