View Full Version : Need advice on when to rack

SassyInkPen
04-20-2005, 11:33 AM
I started a one gallon batch of mead on March 15

3lbs honey
1 gal water
rasins & tea
generic wine yeast - nothing real fancy

It's been ferementing just fine, going strong and lately slowing...And now in the past week it's cleared conserably and I'm quite excited.

What I'm wondering, is if I should be racking it now - there's quite a bit of lees at the bottom (maybe and inch to an inch and a half) and I'm worried about off-flavors.

I have a batch of Joe's Ancient Orange due to be bottled in a month which will free up my other carboy for racking into, but would I be smart to get another one sooner than that and rack the plain mead now?

See them here:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/sassyinkpen/clearmead.jpg

Oskaar
04-20-2005, 12:12 PM
Yo Inkster!

Time to rack!

What is the name of the yeast you used? That's important because saying generic wine yeast is like saying generic automobile.

Cheers,

Oskaar

PS. Is that a hunk O' Swiss cheese floating in Ancient Joe's Orange?

SassyInkPen
04-20-2005, 12:42 PM
Thanks!! I'll have to check on the yeast type - I did write it down. It was just a little pack of dry yeast with the wine type for a name...something not too dry I think.

Getting a new carboy is a good excuse for making more mead, so I don't think I'll mind!

ETA: What's the determining factor? Is it ready to rack because it cleared, or just because of how long it's been?

PS. Is that a hunk O' Swiss cheese floating in Ancient Joe's Orange?

That is oranges and raisins that have artfully arranged themselves to suggest swiss cheese. Mead: It's not only delicious, it's entertaining!