• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Need advice on when to rack

Barrel Char Wood Products

SassyInkPen

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 16, 2005
I started a one gallon batch of mead on March 15

3lbs honey
1 gal water
rasins & tea
generic wine yeast - nothing real fancy

It's been ferementing just fine, going strong and lately slowing...And now in the past week it's cleared conserably and I'm quite excited.

What I'm wondering, is if I should be racking it now - there's quite a bit of lees at the bottom (maybe and inch to an inch and a half) and I'm worried about off-flavors.

I have a batch of Joe's Ancient Orange due to be bottled in a month which will free up my other carboy for racking into, but would I be smart to get another one sooner than that and rack the plain mead now?

See them here:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/sassyinkpen/clearmead.jpg

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Yo Inkster!

Time to rack!

What is the name of the yeast you used? That's important because saying generic wine yeast is like saying generic automobile.

Cheers,

Oskaar

PS. Is that a hunk O' Swiss cheese floating in Ancient Joe's Orange?

SassyInkPen

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 16, 2005
Thanks!! I'll have to check on the yeast type - I did write it down. It was just a little pack of dry yeast with the wine type for a name...something not too dry I think.

Getting a new carboy is a good excuse for making more mead, so I don't think I'll mind!

ETA: What's the determining factor? Is it ready to rack because it cleared, or just because of how long it's been?

Oskaar said:
PS. Is that a hunk O' Swiss cheese floating in Ancient Joe's Orange?

That is oranges and raisins that have artfully arranged themselves to suggest swiss cheese. Mead: It's not only delicious, it's entertaining!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns