• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Chery Melomel won't stop fermenting

Barrel Char Wood Products

davarm

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 6, 2005
I have a 1 gallon batch of cherry melomel going. I actually started it in early March with 3 lbs of clover honey and Lalvin 71B Yeast. Needless to say, it was pretty dry after 3 weeks.

I added 3 lbs of cherries to the secondary and let it sit for a month. The other day I racked the liquid off to another carboy. It was still pretty dry (SG = .095), but tasted good. I added 1/2 teaspoon of Potassium Sorbate to make the yeast dormant, and a few hours later added some honey-water for sweetness. SG came in at about 1.01...much better.

I looked at it tonight and saw some very slight bubbling in the carboy, indicating additional fermentation. I didn't expect this, especially after adding the potassium sorbate.

Do I have a problem here? My gut instinct is to leave it alone for another month or two, rack again if necessary, and add more Potassium Sorbate if I feel it needs more sweetner prior to bottling. Does this sound like the right plan?

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
Davarm,

How many bubbles are we talking here? Racking will almost always cause some degassing of the mead, if there was any dissolved CO2 there to begin with. I'd give it a few days to a week, and watch the airlock closely. Even if it's going too slowly to actually see the lock bubble, you should be able to see if there's a build-up of gas starting. If there is, then you might actually have a problem there. If not, then bottle it up!

-David

Norskersword

NewBee
Registered Member
May 19, 2004
Sorbate won't usually work to stabilize something by itself, you need to use sulfite with it. It is also helpful to chill it and rack it first before adding the sorbate and sulfite.

It sounded like you unintentionally fed the fermentation. It will probably end up even dryer than you predicted. You should stablize it immedietly. Don't worry though, it is easy to backsweeten once it's stablized.

Jmattioli

Lifetime GotMead Patron
My bet is that a few more days will prove everything is normasl and okay. There is always a bit of bubbles if it is not degassed first. Don't worry. I always giver it 7 days. Also it doesn't hurt to use a bit of sulfite with the Sorbate as Jeff suggested but that is not a requirement to prevent refermentation. Patience will prove my point as your SG tells me it was pretty well done when you added the Sorbate.

Joe

davarm

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 6, 2005
Thanks for the feedback and words of encouragement. It is bubbling even less today. I'm just going to be patient and let it sit for awhile.

marauder211

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 18, 2015
I have this same issue with a cyser and a metheglyn that i made a few weeks ago. On three separate occasions after crash cooling the batches at target fg i dosed the batch (twice after racking) with campden and sorbate. I just put in another dose of campden to stop any activity (the hydrometer still dropped by two points), hopefully this has flatlined it, the yeast can't reproduce because of the sorbate. I would keep checking with the hudrometer for a while until you are certain.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns