• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Bulk Aging

Barrel Char Wood Products
J

Jackalguy

So...what are the advantages of bulk aging vs. bottle aging?

I have a batch that is still pretty unpalatable...is it better to age in the carboy or let it sit in bottles?

thanks in advance...
JG

Talon

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 8, 2004
Personal preference, really.

I'd rather bulk age rather than bottle age as it allows a more even mixture of the ingredients over time. At least in my mind the logic sounds good. And i have the room to be able to do that with one or two of my carboys, I'm not too worried about it.

Talon.

JamesP

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 3, 2003
Brisbane Australia
Sometimes, the mead drops sediment after a couple of months (even 6 months), so bulk aging reduces sediment in the bottles.

JoeM

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
I like bulk aging because it allows for a clearer product with less sediment (as was stated), and i feel that the aging process is more rapid in this state. Also bulk aging allows me to make adjustments in flavor post aging, whereas once the batch is bottled, if something doesnt taste right once it is aged there isnt much you can do about it (except open all the bottles, dump them out, and rebottle them, which i have done). For example, say you bulk age your mead for 8 months, you taste it, and you say to yourself "it could be a little sweeter" or "it needs a bit more acid". its very easy to adjust at that point. but if it was already bottled you're kinda stuck with it as is.

Talon

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 8, 2004
To add a little personal experience to the sediment in the bottles comment. I do have to agree, it does reduce that possibility and makes for a much clearer product.

A gent I know loves to make his cysers and keeps tweaking the experiment recipe. He adds quite a bit of cinnamon and bottles almost immediately after fermentation that there's usually tons of sediment in the bottle. In my experience, limited as it is, cinnamon will precipitate out quite a bit, even in bulk aging which I have one over a year in the carboy and only just now ready to bottle as it's done degassing and hasn't had any precipitation coming out of it.

Talon.

paul84043

NewBee
Registered Member
May 7, 2005
I have never understood the factors behind bulk aging, but know that there is a definite benefit in bulk aging beer, and I would imagine that the variables aren't that much different in Mead. It really does make a difference, and the end result is cleaner, clearer, and just better.
I still bottle age, but only for "big" beers. I try to do all my aging in bulk and only bottle when everything is "done".

Hope that helps.....

Paul.

BellaCrow

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 17, 2005
That helps a lot thanks all!

This obviously means I just need to keep buying more carboys.

I think we need a bigger house.

Bella

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Hey Bella,

There are some good discussions on bulk aging out in other threads. Try using the forum-specific search tool (in between the ?help button and the profile button just above the forum headers.

Use bulk aging as your search criteria. You'll find a lot of great info there from many people.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns