• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Hello from a new-bee!

Barrel Char Wood Products

paul84043

NewBee
Registered Member
May 7, 2005
Hi,
My name is Paul and I live in Lehi, Utah. I have been into homebrewing (beer) for a few years now with great success and a friend of mine brought me some mead, (which I had been considering anyway) from the redstone meadery in Co.....that was all it took..
I purchased my initial mead ingredients, some dry yeast and a few odds and ends, (since I have a ton of brewing equipment on hand already) and was ready to make the jump almost a year ago now, but due to the alignment of the planets and the whims of the gods of chaos, I have not made a batch yet. It's funny what an "oops" baby does to you at 37.....we love her anyway!!
I initially tried to find some honey locally, but it is unbelievably expensive at the stores and the honey season had passed for the apiaries. (Honey is big business in Utah) so I was SOL. I did find some promising links online for honey from Washington, Oregon, and Texas, but never could free up the 170$ or so for a big bucket and eventually forgot about the pursuit of mead.
I made many, many (can you say obsession?) batches of beer my first couple of years and still keep a few going pretty much constantly, but with spring coming, I find myself wanting to complicate my life even more than it already is.
I am determined to get the ingredients and make two or three batches of mead!! And a few batches of spring beer to tide us over...

I just wanted to say hello and that I was glad to find this forum, I am a member of several beer forums and find them a fantastic support group and information recource. Since I do live in Utah, a state that is historically anti-alcohol, you can't even buy meade here commercially at all...I like to do things my own way, and I try to associate with people of similar interests.
Thanks for the opportunity to be here and to share in your wonderful hobby. I'm sure that I'll have many stupid newbee questions, but I will try hard to peruse the search function before asking!

Hope to talk to many of you more in the future....

Paul.

jab

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 15, 2004
radiofreeomaha.net
Hey, welcome to the board. Glad to have you along. I can see you have been lurking from your 'search' comment. That's great!

Like I have said before, there are no stupid questions (though some of us give some pretty borderline answers :eek:) so fire away!

paul84043

NewBee
Registered Member
May 7, 2005
Thanks! I am very familiar with discussion forums, and not afraid to ask a dumb question!!!

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
Paul,

Welcome to Forum! This is a great place for newbies and experienced mead-makers alike, and a wonderful collection of people in general. I'm sure you'll have lots of fun here. I sure do!

-David

paul84043

NewBee
Registered Member
May 7, 2005
lostnbronx,
Thanks for the welcome, I love your avatar, it's awesome. I have a 20 year old, a 19 year old, a 15 year old, and now....a 4 month old!!!! I think that I look exactly like your avatar pretty much every day!!!

Paul....

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
paul84043 said:
lostnbronx,
Thanks for the welcome, I love your avatar, it's awesome. I have a 20 year old, a 19 year old, a 15 year old, and now....a 4 month old!!!! I think that I look exactly like your avatar pretty much every day!!!

Paul....

Paul,

A twenty year span between oldest and youngest?! My hat is officially off to you -- now and always. (Doffs hat in solemn humility.)

-David

paul84043

NewBee
Registered Member
May 7, 2005
Realizing that more than a few days have passed on this thread, I still feel the need to respond to the last post!
Our daughter, Brooke has been an eye opener to me (us) in many ways. Going through this all again at 37 is an amazing and frightening experience. If I could, knowing what I know now, I would have waited until early 30's to start having kids, it's such a different experience and I feel that I am a much better parent now than I was at 18....(big surprise)

I am constantly amazed by her, the feeling that I get when she smiles at me is like no other, the pain I feel when I see a tear roll down her cheek is almost unbearable.

What a ride...

Thanks,

Paul.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns