• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

the local homebrew

Barrel Char Wood Products

hedgehog

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 8, 2005
A disturbing thing happened at the local homebrew store today and it got me thinking. How much do you all listen to the "brewmasters/owners" and other fellow homebrewers at your local homebrew store? (or LHBS for Oskaar). Does anyone pay them any attention, or just take with moderation, or just plain ignore them?
I bring this is up as I was going to pick up some goodies for my latest batches and got seriously heckled, ridiculed, and lectured at over my yeast and nutrient selections. Sadly this is the second time it has happened in that store, but unfortunately this is the only homebrew store within a long ways so I tend to end up there. The first time was a few weeks ago when I was buying yeast and stuff for my jasmine mead batch. The owner, a supposed "master brewer" according to the awards, asked what I was buying the 71B and yeast hulls for. When I told them I was using the 71B for a jasmine mead, the owner FLIPPED, big time. They proceeded to go on a 15 minute rant about how I should never ever ever use 71B for mead and that I should only use K1V or EC-1118. At the moment, I was trying hard to keep my laughter under control at the bizarre display, but it kind of stuck with me. Today, I went back to get some more yeast for my next project, and was once again heckled for my choice of yeast and nutrients for my mead. While the owner was not in attendance, the workers and several local home wine makers decided to chime in that 71B should not ever be used for mead, only for fruit wines, or dandelion wines.
Now I have only made a few meads as some of you are aware, but as you all have posted and said 71B can make a good mead.
But does beg the question of how much heed do you all pay to the local homebrew store and its collective voices.
any thoughts, comments??
somewhat miffed and wondering,
hedgehog

BellaCrow

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 17, 2005
Jeez! Why does he feel so threatened is my first thought. Seriously, at some point he should just shut up and be happy to take your money you know?

I listen to the folks at TheBrewersCoop out here, but they pretty much just do beer. They have done mead before, but they dont know too much about it.

Which is how we got into the yeast mess we're in by using the one they suggested, the EC-1118 I think it is. (We want to do sack meads, not dry, so ...).

You could always give them a bottle to see which could shut them up. That whole "killing them with kindness" thing.

Bella

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Or . . . you can suggest that he post his thoughts on what, where, how and why, here on gotmead.com.

I promise I'll be gentle.

Cheers,

Oskaar

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
Hedgehog,

I think I know what you've inadvertantly done -- you've walked into a private club without asking permission first. Oh, I know it seems like a retail establishment on the outside, but once you walked in, you crossed an invisible line beyond which you were expected to prostrate yourself, and beg an audience of the reigning "expert".

Oh, yes, I've seen this before -- different situations and different people, but the same nonetheless. See, it goes something like this: the local "brewmaster", with all his plaques, trophies, and other gaudy displays of ostentation, holds the opinion that 71B is no good for mead. Maybe he read this somewhere once; maybe he had a batch go bad on him; maybe Joe Blow, whose second cousin's former roommate once worked in the Lallemand mail room, stated this with authority within his hearing. Regardless, this is his opinion, this is his store, and these are all his toadies standing around him. Each one of them will doubtlessly regurgitate this guy's stance on 71B. If you ask them where they first learned of this yeast prohibition, almost certainly it will turn out to be -- you guessed it -- the Brewmaster himself.

So, in you come with specific wants and knowledge; first mistake -- you were supposed to crawl before the sattrap and ask him his opinion. You maintained your own opinion, even after you'd been "enlightened" as to the truth of things; second mistake -- you were supposed to see the error of your ways. You came back again and repeated both these transgressions; third mistake -- you weren't supposed to come back at all.

It's not about the money with some people.

My advice: stick to mail order. It's more expensive, and you have to wait a bit, but it's a heck of a lot easier on the nerves.

-David

Marion

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 1, 2004
Hedgehog,

Sorry you must put up with such non-sense at your local supply house. My supplier ask no questions (except "Can I help you find anything?") and I offer no comment. I shall be more appreciative of his quietness from now on.

You might consider a reply of this nature, should he "booger" you again, "Thank you for your suggestions, but I tend to experiment on my own, rather than go the paths trodden previously thus never realizing the outcome of the journey never traveled." Maybe he'll be smart enough to realize he, himself, has not taken the journey as well.

Mynx

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 8, 2005
Man, I just got back from my LHBS, and I am sooo glad of his help (I'm a newbie brewer as well). He said right off the bat that he knew very little about mead, but he was interested in how mine turned out.

My suggestion on yours is to poke him in the eye. With a pointed stick.

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Re: the pointed stick

Mynx,

(With Apologies to Monty Python)

Pointed stick? Oh, oh, oh. We want to learn how to poke out an eye with pointed sticks, do we? Getting all high and mighty, eh? Fresh fruit not good enough for you eh? Well I'll tell you something my lass. When you're walking home tonight and some great homicidal maniac comes after you with a bunch of loganberries, don't come crying to me! Now, the passion fruit. When you lunge with a passion fruit...

Nudge Nudge ;) ;) (sorry couldn't resist... see signature below)

I haven't found any brew supply stores in my area, I tend to get all my equipment from internet suppliers. morebeer.com midwestsupplies.com leeners.com northernbrewer.com are all suppliers I've dealt with and all have delivered flawlessly. If you know what you're looking for It can be a real time saver, and no taxes... probably, comes out even after shipping and the typically higher markup at traditional Brick & Mortar stores.

Wrathwilde

Mynx

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 8, 2005
Wrathwilde, I was hoping someone'd take that n run with it :D Danke.

Aggie4You

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Oct 29, 2004
hedgehog said:
any thoughts, comments??
somewhat miffed and wondering,
hedgehog

Next time, just say "If I wanted your opinion, I'd have beat it out of you." Or something of that nature.

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Here's a better set of replies I devised for you.

I agree... beginners and people who want dry meads should only use K1V or EC-1118. Meads are like beers and wines, different yeasts introduce a variety of mouth feels, textures and flavors. EC-1118 is one dimensional and can impart a bitter taste. KV1 and EC-1118 will also ferment to dryness... not so good if your looking to brew a sweet mead with a lower alcohol content.

Secondly...

"And all Beer should be brewed with the yeast Budweiser uses for Bud Light, since that's the most popular beer in america." ;D

Wrathwilde

Miriam

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Feb 2, 2005
Hedgehog, take this guy with a grain of salt, but buy your supplies online. Who needs aggravation?

You're making great mead, supported by the world's best forum - what do the opinions of Joe Shmoe over at the supply store matter? Has he ever even dreamed of a jasmine mead? His loss!

It's like the guy who invented frosted light bulbs: it had been commonly accepted wisdom that it couldn't be done, till someone who had never heard that went ahead and did it. Wait till mead gets better known - this person will be calling you up trying to pick your brains.

My supplier doesn't take me very seriously, because I'm a woman I suspect, but (apart from elephantinely flirting) he doesn't give me flak. If he did, my dear, I'd be taking my custom elsewhere.

Miriam

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
Wow, I'm just stunned that anyone would treat a customer like that.

It really makes me thankful for my own LHBS. They seem to look forward to my visits, and there is no such thing as a quick trip there for me. We always chat over the lastest and greatest in our discoveries. We've developed a wonderful relationship, and I have found them to be helpful and very interested in my meadmaking.

Maybe your best option for shopping at your less than courteous LHBS is to make your purchases without going into much detail about what it is for. What a shame they can't be a supportive part of your hobby.

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
I think LHBS should stand for Leeners Home Brewing Supplies (which is what I thought it meant originally) at leeners.com. No one needs drama when buying supplies...

But invite him to post here... I want Oskaar to get to take a bite out of someone besides me... ;)

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns