PDA

View Full Version : Okay you slackers!

Oskaar
05-23-2005, 04:56 PM
Here's an article that will explain everything! LOL

http://www.forbes.com/lifestyle/health/feeds/hscout/2005/05/23/hscout525874.html

Oskaar

Val
05-23-2005, 05:05 PM
One day, an English professor was teaching his class about positive and negative statements, and how they vary from language to language…

“For example, in English, a double-negative, or even a triple-negative, though grammatically incorrect, is often used, and ends up meaning the negative.

“For example ‘I haven’t never seen nothing like that’ means, ‘I have never seen anything like that.’

“In some other languages, though, a double negative will, in fact, be interpreted as a positive.

“However, there is not a single language in which a two positives are interpreted to mean a negative.

To which a student in the back of class responded…

“Yeah, right.”

jab
05-23-2005, 10:22 PM
Heh, Val, that's hilarious!

Dan McFeeley
05-24-2005, 05:51 AM
Yeah, I saw the article too, grabbed that and the PDF original article.

There was no surprise here -- people in the mental health field see this all the time. Severe mental illness is also associated with cognitive deterioration, including concrete thought processes. It's sad, but many long term patients lose their ability to understand humor, or at least, the more subtle forms of it. Slapstick, in your face humor, they get. Subtle stuff with ironic content doesn't work well.