• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Amount of must for a batch

Barrel Char Wood Products

edacsac

NewBee
Registered Member
May 18, 2005
This will be my second mead, but I don't know where else to ask this. When making my first mead, I probably made exactly 5 gallons of must. Made sense at the time, but my first racking to the carbouy brought me to less than 5 gallons, and stupid me, I topped off the carbouy with water - weakening my mead I suppose.

This time, I'm making four 1 gallon batches to try four different honeys, but I'm thinking I'm smarter this time. For each one gallon batch I'm going to make 1.25 gallons of must, so when I rack of the lees or sludge, I'll still have 1 solid gallon for the carbouy. Is this right? or should I make the 1 gallon of must, and mix more honey and water to top of the carbouy? The problem with this decision, is even in Ken Schramms book, he never says to make more than (in the case of a 5 gallon batch) 5 gallons of must in his recipes, and I certainly don't want to waste honey.

Just another question before I start my next batch. I've made my yeast starter just a few hours ago, so I need to clean up the loose ends of any questions before tommorrow.

Thanks alot!!

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
This will give you a good idea of some of the current thoughts.

http://www.gotmead.com/smf/index.php/topic,1075.msg8199.html#msg8199

I like to make more, then rack down, but then I don't have a cellar to draw from so I keep tasting (a bottle at a time) for mead to drink while I'm waiting, goes quick, I have been refilling with must so as to keep my quantities from dropping too much it just means it's going to take me longer to ferment but I can live with that.

Wrathwilde

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
edacsac,

Some people make a lot more than the quantity in their large primary, for both topping off purposes as they rack, and for tasting. Having a variety of different sizes of fermenters (that is, jugs) on hand, can make this easy to do.

And always remember -- honey is never wasted if it's made into mead!

-David

edacsac

NewBee
Registered Member
May 18, 2005
Thanks for the replies!

In the case of making extra, would a batch and 1/4 be too much extra? The reason I say I don't want to wat honey, is that whatever isn't used to top off a couple rackings will be wasted, as I'm nost sure what to do with it. I want to make just enough extra so I can top a couple times and thats it. I suppose a whole quart extra for a gallon batch is pushing it.

JoeM

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
Usually what i do is prepare 5.5-6 gallons of must and primary ferment in a 6.5 gallon carboy. At the end of the primary i rack to a 5 gallon carboy and fill it all the way to the top leaving me 0.5-1 gallon left over for tasting and/or experimentation. Or sometimes i'll just bottle the extra.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I'm with Joe. I start in a 6.5 gallon carboy and rack down to a fiver.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns