• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Jelly Belly Challenge

Barrel Char Wood Products

Michael_Ng

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Dec 9, 2004
www.kwmeads.com
First, check out the Wine X Magazine Jelly Belly Wine Bar.

http://www.winexmagazine.com/jellybelly/jellybelly.htm

And now for the challenge...

I spoke with Darryl at Wine X and he said that they didn’t have time to add Mead to the list right now. Also, there’s the added complication that there isn’t a Honey Flavored Jelly Belly. But he suggested that if we could find a way to recreate the flavor of Mead using Jelly Belly Jelly Beans that it could be added to the list.

So what do you think? Is it possible to recreate the flavor of Mead without the use of a (non-existent) Honey Flavored Jelly Belly? Got any ideas for flavor combinations?

Michael

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I dunno, maybe:

Orange blossom honey mixed with
Snowberry or Christmas berry
Star anise
Fennel
Lime zest and juice (key lime)
Lemon zest and juice (Meyer or maybe Varigated Pink Eureka)
Pinch of coriander
D-47, ICV-GRE, CY3079 or BM45

Just a guess.

Oskaar

Michael_Ng

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Dec 9, 2004
www.kwmeads.com
Okay, let me rephrase that just a smidge... ;D

Is it possible to recreate the flavor of Mead using ONLY Jelly Belly Jelly Beans without the use of a (non-existent) Honey Flavored Jelly Belly? Got any ideas for flavor combinations?

Thanks Oskaar...=)

Michael

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Whoops,

Sorry bout that.

I deal in mead, no jelly bean promos for me. LOL

Cheers,

Oskaar

Norskersword

NewBee
Registered Member
May 19, 2004
Looking at that link makes me realize just how uneducated my tounge is. I don't taste any of that in a wine! All well, I'm still young...

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I don't have a problem with the promo, I'm just not a big jelly bean fan. Dark, bitter, overwhelming and aromatic chocolate is a different story ;D

Cheers,

Oskaar

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
Hi all,
What about using the green apple/red apple and some of the peach jelly bellies as fermentables, dissolve them in hot water, add nutrients, energizer and pitch one pack of motrachet on top of it? Just a thought :-[ It would be a kind of cyser, in a manner of speaking, wouldn't it?

Stay happy,
Ted

Michael_Ng

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Dec 9, 2004
www.kwmeads.com
Oskaar said:
I don't have a problem with the promo, I'm just not a big jelly bean fan. Dark, bitter, overwhelming and aromatic chocolate is a different story ;D

I happen to live across the highway from the Jelly Belly Factory... You'd be happy to know that there's a Chocolate Factory just down the street (about 2 blocks) from it. If you walk into their factory store on the right day, you’ll get a serious Chocolate Contact-High just by walking in the door. ;D

Seriously, I'm not trying to be a shill for Jelly Belly; they're not my favorite candy. But I thought it was a cool idea to help communicate the flavor subtleties in wine without worrying about the legality of shipping wine across state lines. I was hoping that it could be applied to Mead so we could more easily show the masses that not all meads taste alike or taste like Chaucer’s.

Of course, I do have to acknowledge that I have a retail website and I could possibly make some money off of this by selling Jelly Belly Wine Bar Kits to people like Wine X is doing. But I think it's more likely that people will just go to their local candy store and buy the beans there themselves to sample the flavors.

Michael

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
OOooohhhh!
I get it ;D You mean mixing JB's to replicate the taste of mead, not use JB"s to make mead. DUHHH!!
Why would u want to eat candy that tastes like mead - it is bad for your teeth ;D
wouldn't you rather drink mead - it is made from honey and good for your health!

Cheers all
Ted

Norskersword

NewBee
Registered Member
May 19, 2004
Mike and I were talking about this and here is why I believe mead info on this site would be relevant:

Site visitor: "Oh interesting, some wines can be pretty complex. What's this? Mead? I've never had mead before. Mead taste like that?! Mead can be that complex?! I gotta try some!"

It's a way to get the name out to a few more of the masses.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns