• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Oh God, So New...Temp Question

Barrel Char Wood Products

urbanraven

NewBee
Registered Member
May 24, 2005
www.ilovecynics.com
Simple question, really... How important is a steady temperature in the fermentation process. I've started a cyser. Unfortunately, the location isn't the best and temperatures swing from the low 60s at night to the high 70s in the day.

While the process is done without direct exposure to sunlight, it seems the temperature difference could be problematic. So, I'm just wondering what the affects will be on the final product.

Thanks,
Rog.

JoeM

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
Temperatures too high or too low can produce off flavors. Generally, widely fluctuating temperatures are even worse than just high or low. That being said the temps you are describing aren’t too far out the normal fermentation ranges. I would just be careful about not letting it get much colder than low 60s or your fermentation could stall.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns