• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

gotta ask again

Barrel Char Wood Products

tazimna

NewBee
Registered Member
May 28, 2005
Morning all. Need to figure out what I'm doing wrong with my 1st batch of mead. Posted awhile back and still no succes. Here goes: Using ken schrams recipe on page 30 in his book.
15# clover honey
4 gallons h2o
2 tsp JD carlson yeast nutrient
1 tsp carlson energizer
2 pkts k1-v116 yeast(recipe called for 71B-1122,couldn't find)
followed his directions to the word. Must temp was 78 degrees when yeast was pitched.
OG- 1.118
Sat in 68 degree room for 2 weeks, no bubbling thru ferm lock seen. Five days ago, I repitched 2 pakets k1- v116, stirred vigorously for 5 minutes, also added 2 tsp of nutrient.
It's been 1 week, and still no bubbling occuring. Yeast pkts were not out dated. Gravity today was 1.113. It smells like its fermenting. Didn't taste to bad today.
I am using a 6 gallon plastic ferment bucket. Has good seal. With only 5 gallons h2o init, am I leaving to much head room? PLEASE help. Steve

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
If your seal is good, and the stuff smells like it's fermenting, then you're probably just seeing a result of excess headspace during fermentation. The CO2 is there, it's probably just coming through the airlock slowly and in small amounts.

Another thing to consider is that the K1V yeast you used is going to take your must to complete dryness with no residual sugar. If that's what you were looking for it shouldn't be a problem, otherwise you'll need to backsweeten once the fermentation has finished.

It's always a good idea to research the yeast before you pitch it into your must. Generally it's a good idea to pitch your yeast into a must that has been prepared specifically for the yeast you're using.

Hope that helps.

Oskaar

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns