PDA

View Full Version : First mead... contaminated?

Ibiduin
06-05-2005, 06:55 PM
I've got a film buildup on the neck of the bottle, and lil bits of something floating around in the bottle. picture is a bit blurry but has both in view. It's been "in the carboy" for a lil over 2 weeks.

If it is contaminated is there anything I can do to keep it? or do I just need to restart? Would bringing the whole thing up to 212 degrees then straining back into a re-sanitized bottle and pitching new yeast be possable?

Recipe:
15# honey
1 container of strawberry purfect puree
Cote des Blancs dry yeast, and yeast nutrient blend
water to full

water and honey were brought to 160 for 5 min, and puree was added in at 160 while frozen to help cool (puree was pasturized).

[attachment deleted by admin]

JoeM
06-05-2005, 10:33 PM
Could just be normal yeast growth, its hard to tell from the picture. Would it be possible to get one thats a little clearer?

Oskaar
06-05-2005, 10:52 PM
Looks like you had a vigorous fermetation and some of the yeast/sludge got up in the neck, and is still doing so floating about. I don't think that's an infection.

In the future please post a link to the photo rather than a huge photo in the message. It makes it a bit easier for us to view with our image viewers/browsers.

thanks,

Oskaar

Ibiduin
06-06-2005, 01:57 AM
thanks guys...
I'm just a bit wiery, seeing that I'm a culinary student and know very well all the sort of things that would love to grow in a fresh batch of mead.