• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

I feel the earth move under my feet!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Hey,

We just had another small earthquake here in Southern California. Some of you may have heard that we had a 7.2 quake offshore that generated a Tsunami warning temporarily, and was then retracted within a half hour after the quake.

Today at a little before 2:00 PM we had a 5.4 out around Yucaipa which is about 65 miles away from me. It caused some of my books to shift off the edge of my bookshelf but nothing more. I did however go downstairs and clear shelves of my bar. I have tile floor downstairs and I wouldn't want to see any of those bottle grenade off of the barshelves onto the floor. That would be . . . wrong! LOL

Whole lotta shakin going on! Looks like we're gettin ready for the big one baby!

Cheers,

Oskaar

briankettering

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 2, 2005
The center of the earthquake was only 10 miles from my house. Nothing broken or spilled, just a little shaken up.

I was most concerned about the 1 1/2 gallons of strawberry wine I have in primary. It is such a beautiful blood-red color I would cry if anything happened to it. :'(

Brian K

Commander Toasty

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 9, 2005
You got blood red?
I just racked from primary with my six gal of strawberry, and it is not red. I used twelve pounds of fresh fruit. Sure has the flavor, but not very dark color. Of course it is all musty right now. I put my fruit in at primary, and perhaps that is why I don't have such a dark color.

Also just pitched a new batch of apricot. Twenty pounds of fresh fruit for a six gal batch. Waiting for my first little bubbles! Oh yes - thanks to those of you with the yeast suggestion as I did go with D-47. Going to take a lot of patience though...

Miriam

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Feb 2, 2005
I thought of you, Oskaar, when I saw the news of the earthquake. I was glad to see no reports of serious damage...and I hope that "big one" never materializes. We feel shakes here in Israel also - last year there was one. I nervously stood under a doorway and watched the wine sloshing in carboys while the walls moved. Leaves you dizzy for a little while afterwards. Turning the radio on to hear what damage, if any, I was amused to catch a wry little folksong about dizzyness and wine, that the broadcasting authority put on as a comic relief.

Miriam

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
I was at the microscope....Darn, i thought my eyes were going crazy....
Take a look at the quake map from USGS. I think we're about to have the new "California Islands" being formed. Either way, I'll have beach front property then :-\
Hey Brian, you know about the wino that was keeping his bottle in his pant's back pocket? He slipped on a banana peel, and fell on his back. Upon feeling something wet on his backside, he lifted his eyes to the sky and in tears, he exclamed: "Please, GOD, let it be blood!!!!"
Well, at least it's not shake and bake. :-[
Ted

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
We had one last night near Eurika?
Is it time to move????
Vancouver....I like it, nice weather, the wild strawberries in the area are the best...as far as I can remember :'(

Hold on and don't panic....YET!!!!
Ted

briankettering

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 2, 2005
Commander Toasty said:
You got blood red?
I just racked from primary with my six gal of strawberry, and it is not red. I used twelve pounds of fresh fruit. Sure has the flavor, but not very dark color. Of course it is all musty right now. I put my fruit in at primary, and perhaps that is why I don't have such a dark color.

You used 12 pounds of strawberries for a six gallon batch. I used 8-10 pounds of strawberries (a full flat) to produce just under 1 1/2 gallons of juice. That probably explains the dark red color of the must that I am fermenting. ;D

Brian K

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns