PDA

View Full Version : Topping Off

remclave
06-21-2005, 01:46 PM
Halloooo the Forum!

What if I didn't make enough to save off?

When making a batch of must, one should make enough to have some left over (stored in a sterile container) in the event of a blowoff? I've searched the archives and I haven't been able to find a conclusive answer.

Can I match my recipe in a smaller quantity and match the OG to use for topping off?

remclave
06-21-2005, 11:24 PM
Um, .....

Do I match the original recipe or do I take a current sg and make the recipe to that?

Pretty please, day two saw a near disaster when I moved the carboy. I kept my hand over the top (the lip had plastic covering it at the time) and let the foam and pressure bleed down gradually but it was nearly a total disaster. I only lost about two to three ounces from the batch.

I had another near disaster after adding 1 tsp each of yeast energizer & nutrient.(YE&N). Next time I put those in BEFORE pitching the yeast.

I am afraid this batch is doing it's darnedest to humble me and I may need to top it off before the week is out.

As for my ingredients, it's the same basic recipe I've used since I started making mead in January. I only just started adding other things like the YE&N.

Mynx
06-22-2005, 11:52 AM
Normally when I've had to top off, I use a mix of the same honey and some water. Didnt really measure the SG, just made sure it was nice n sweet.

Lagerman64
07-02-2005, 03:36 AM
I've never really given it much thought until now. You are right, I guess I'll make enough to pressure can the extra an duse it as needed to make up for losses and maintain head space. Thanks ;D